MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

55 years ago in 1959, Distilerias Unidas, S.A. was established in Venezuela.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #1
cycloneX

Default The LASH Spiced Rum???

Has anyone here tried this? In a world of OVER hyped crap...I don't want to plunk down my hard earned cash on this if its crap. Its money I could spend on something I know is good!! It claims to be a REAL spiced rum...with some of the spices still in the bottle....goodness...do they think we are gullible?
ANYWAY.... I haven't seen any reviews that I can trust... or that don't sound like the company wrote them. SO.... anyone?
Old 05-30-2010, 05:38 PM   #2
Gray

The only review for it I've seen is on drinkhacker. The distribution areas is only a few states on the east coast. I have a sample expected to arrive on Friday. When it gets here I'll happily give my opinion if nobody else has yet.

Edited (figured I should put this up here)

The sell sheet describes The Lash like this :

"The Lash is a blend of the finest West Indies rum, aged
4-years in 100% American Oak Bourbon Barrels. Infused
with real spices and Bourbon Vanilla Extract sourced
from Asia, India and Madagascar. the Lash Spiced Rum
in amazingly smooth, perfectly balanced & full of flavor,
the way a premium spiced rum should taste."

The drinkhacker article also has a comment from the creator of the rum:

"I wanted to expand upon the alcohol content of The Lash. The other Spiced Rums out there either use “fresh” Rum or <1-Year old Rum which they can purchase (in bulk) at 185 Proof ±. The Lash contains 4-Year Oak Aged Rum which is purchased at 150 Proof. Now, it is true that in a 750ml bottle you would need 381ml of fresh Rum at 185 Proof to make a 94 Proof product and only 350ml of the 4-Year Oak Aged Rum, but we did not have room to go much higher in proof as we used quite a bot of hot water to do an extraction of real spices which I can assure you nobody else does to the degree that we do. Most use liquid flavor additives (cheap and quick) and also color their Rum with Caramel Color, which is allowed (up to 2.5%) by the regulations – we don't. What you see (and get) is just the 4-Year Oak Aged Rum (no color added!), Real Spices (and quite a bit of them), 10x Bourbon Vanilla Extract and Natural Flavors. That's it.
It was never our intention to make a Spiced Rum to do "shots" with, but a Premium Spiced Rum that should be enjoyed Neat or On The Rocks. The review was correct – it is a spicy rum, and for me, that is what I wanted – a Spiced Rum that actually tasted like a Spiced Rum and not a Vanilla Flavored Rum. Most Spiced Rums were formulated with lots of Vanilla & Caramel as these go good with Coke and most Spiced Rums are consumed as a Rum & Coke – few were created to be enjoyed by themselves. Would love to know the feedback of others. Thanks. Hope this helps explain the alcohol concentration difference. Robert (creator of The Lash)"
Old 05-31-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post

The sell sheet describes The Lash like this :

"The Lash is a blend of the finest West Indies rum, aged
4-years in 100% American Oak Bourbon Barrels. Infused
with real spices and Bourbon Vanilla Extract sourced
from Asia, India and Madagascar. the Lash Spiced Rum
in amazingly smooth, perfectly balanced & full of flavor,
the way a premium spiced rum should taste."

The drinkhacker article also has a comment from the creator of the rum:

"I wanted to expand upon the alcohol content of The Lash. The other Spiced Rums out there either use “fresh” Rum or <1-Year old Rum which they can purchase (in bulk) at 185 Proof ±. The Lash contains 4-Year Oak Aged Rum which is purchased at 150 Proof. Now, it is true that in a 750ml bottle you would need 381ml of fresh Rum at 185 Proof to make a 94 Proof product and only 350ml of the 4-Year Oak Aged Rum, but we did not have room to go much higher in proof as we used quite a bit of hot water to do an extraction of real spices which I can assure you nobody else does to the degree that we do. Most use liquid flavor additives (cheap and quick) and also color their Rum with Caramel Color, which is allowed (up to 2.5%) by the regulations – we don't. What you see (and get) is just the 4-Year Oak Aged Rum (no color added!), Real Spices (and quite a bit of them), 10x Bourbon Vanilla Extract and Natural Flavors. That's it.
It was never our intention to make a Spiced Rum to do "shots" with, but a Premium Spiced Rum that should be enjoyed Neat or On The Rocks. The review was correct – it is a spicy rum, and for me, that is what I wanted – a Spiced Rum that actually tasted like a Spiced Rum and not a Vanilla Flavored Rum. Most Spiced Rums were formulated with lots of Vanilla & Caramel as these go good with Coke and most Spiced Rums are consumed as a Rum & Coke – few were created to be enjoyed by themselves. Would love to know the feedback of others. Thanks. Hope this helps explain the alcohol concentration difference. Robert (creator of The Lash)"
Quote:
the finest West Indies rum
I wouldn't expect anything less. The TTB label certificate lists the origin as Netherlands which can be a bit misleading since there are some very good blending operations in the Netherlands that do source West Indian rums though it is hard to tell sometimes exactly where these rums come from.

Quote:
The other Spiced Rums out there either use “fresh” Rum or <1-Year old Rum which they can purchase (in bulk) at 185 Proof ±.
Not sure which OTHER Spiced Rums they are referring to, but there is a lot of spiced rum that is aged > 1 Year that isn't purchased in bulk at 185 proof.

Quote:
Now, it is true that in a 750ml bottle you would need 381ml of fresh Rum at 185 Proof to make a 94 Proof product and only 350ml of the 4-Year Oak Aged Rum, but we did not have room to go much higher in proof as we used quite a bit of hot water to do an extraction of real spices which I can assure you nobody else does to the degree that we do.
Are they making a 94 proof blend or a 70 proof blend as it states on the bottle?

Hot water to extract real spices? Alcohol is a much better solvent than water, but maybe 'quite a bit of hot water' makes a better flavor, I'd have to taste this one.

I do notice that the Lash is only 35% abv, which is the same as a lot of flavored and spiced rums.

Forgive me if I'm not overwhelmed by this sell sheet, but maybe marketing needs to take a better look at the competition and talk to production about this.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 01:05 PM   #4
cycloneX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post

Forgive me if I'm not overwhelmed by this sell sheet, but maybe marketing needs to take a better look at the competition and talk to production about this.
Theres the voice of reason we needed! I think its another marketing gimmick...like Blackheart Spiced Rum. They are both an inferior product designed by a marketing company to take more money away from uneducated rum drinkers.
Old 05-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #5
Gray

Quote:
I wouldn't expect anything less. The TTB label certificate lists the origin as Netherlands which can be a bit misleading since there are some very good blending operations in the Netherlands that do source West Indian rums though it is hard to tell sometimes exactly where these rums come from.
Astor Wines is listing the country of the product as Trinidad, but I haven't seen anywhere else that indicates an origin more general than "West Indies"

Quote:
Are they making a 94 proof blend or a 70 proof blend as it states on the bottle?
It took me a number of rereads to figure this out, but I think it's an attempt to explain away the lower alcohol content by comparing the math on "the other Spiced Rums" ("750ml bottle you would need 381ml of fresh Rum at 185 Proof to make a 94 Proof product" I'm not a math guy by any means, but my calculator says this is close to accurate) to the math on the Lash ("and only 350ml of the 4-Year Oak Aged Rum"). Unfortunately, it looks like maybe he left out some words for the math on the Lash . Maybe it should've been "and we only use 350ml of the 4-Year Oak Aged Rum". So it should be 350ml of aged rum at 150 proof in a 750ml bottle = 70 proof. I think. But that still doesn't explain the water...

Quote:
Hot water to extract real spices? Alcohol is a much better solvent than water, but maybe 'quite a bit of hot water' makes a better flavor, I'd have to taste this one.
The only way I can really see "quite a bit of hot water" making a better flavor is if they're using the water to distill the oils out of their spices. But I can't imagine the remaining 300ml is spice oils (I would hope not). Water could be used to cut the oils, but more rum could just as easily handle that task.

The best small batch spiced rums I've had included spices in the actual distillation of the wort and easily beat 35% abv. Sadly not applicable to the Lash as far as I can tell.

Quote:
Probably easier said than done since the company seems to be made up only of marketing people. cycloneX is probably right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycloneX View Post
I think its another marketing gimmick...like Blackheart Spiced Rum. They are both an inferior product designed by a marketing company to take more money away from uneducated rum drinkers.
Old 05-31-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
Edward Hamilton
Founder

In all fairness to this and every other rum company, I welcome your contribution to this forum, after all it is Dedicated to the Appreciation and Understanding of the Noble Spirit RUM.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
Jamie76

Has anybody tasted it yet? Regardless of whether the company is made of "marketing people", it could be the best tasting rum you've ever had. Not saying it is, but try it first and then judge it.
Jamie76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:37 PM   #8
Gray

The drinkhacker review is definitely favorable. I'm still looking forward to trying it and I honestly do hope that it's a great rum. I'd be happy with a good rum. I'm excited at the prospect of a new sippable spiced rum, whether my comments here show it or not. I'm not making judgements on the rum itself, but I don't think it's unfair to examine the information that's been provided as a description of the product until the rum is actually in hand. A sell sheet would have an easy job if everything was just accepted at face value.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:50 PM   #9
flavorguy

Default Reply to Previous Comments

To all -- I am the person who formulated The Lash and am responsible for the "flavors" in many other products out in the marketplace as well. Some large and some small. I spent 15+ years in flavor development and specialized in the liquor industry. Regardless, I wanted to clear up some confusion about The Lash:

1. It is made in the Netherlands - the Rum comes from Trinidad & Tobago (West Indies) and is a 4-Year aged Rum with no additives and no added Caramel Color. It appears that people confuse where the Rum is from to where it is produced.

2. We did not purchase the Rum from any blending operation in Amsterdam (yes, you can purchase bulk Rum in Amsterdam from companies such as E & A Scheer BV - we did not).

3. Our Rum is purchased in bulk directly from the producer in Trinidad & Tobago.

4. The reason it is produced in Holland is that we could not find any producers who were willing to do the extraction the way I wanted it done. I played around with alcohol extractions and did not want to add that much "gns" to a Rum product and found that water at a specific temperature got me the best extraction. Most producers wanted to use liquid flavors which I did not want to do. Most spiced rums use very little, if any, real spices and use liquid flavors to get the spice flavor. By law, they have to add real spices to claim it on the label, but I can assure you that I know first hand that many of these producers add a "sprinkle" to a large tank just to claim it on the label - don't get me wrong, some use more than others, but they are few and far between.

5. I also know first hand (from my friends in product development at some large companies) that nobody (that I know of) uses aged Rum greater than 1-year to make their spiced rums. I do know of a few (Sailor Jerry's for example) that do use a 1-year aged Rum, but it simply is (a) not cost effective or (b) possible as supply is limited to use anything greater. As it stands, we were told by our producer of the fact that they have a limited supply and we would have to project out 4-years. That being said, we could produce more cases than we will probably ever sell so I am not worried plus I personally love aged Rum - my favorite being Diplomatico from Venezuela.

I am curious - can you please elaborate on what Spiced Rums (with decent distribution) are out there with aged Rums of at least 2-3 years minimum??

6. It was not our desire to target the college aged crowd which likes shooters and whereby a 90+ proof product would be better suited. Our desire was to make a sipping spiced rum and felt that 70 proof was enough plus we did not have that much room to play with as we used quite a bit of hot water to do the extraction. We recommend neat or on the rocks so 70 proof is more than adequate in my view. I understand some people would like it stronger and that is understandable but not what I desired. So to those people, I apologize but before you comment, please try The Lash and let me know your thoughts and please compare it next to the other products out there.

7. We are not a marketing company - if we were, our other product (Voyant Chai - also made with a 3-year Rum) would be huge and everyone would have heard of it. No, we are small company where one of the principles was a product development person and likes to formulate products that he would enjoy. I wish we were a marketing company but alas, that is one area we lack in. lol

8. Calculation explanation. When I said 350ml of 150 Proof 4-year aged Rum per 750ml bottle, the remainder (400ml) is made up of the extraction, 10-Fold Bourbon Vanilla Extract, Natural Flavors & Water).

0.75L x 0.70 Proof = 0.525 Proof Liters (PL)
0.35L x 1.50 Proof Rum = 0.525 PL

L x (Proof/100) = PL

No distillation is done with the spices. they are actually mixed with very hot water (at a specific temperature and quantity) and left to sit for a specific amount of time (After being mixed/agitated) - made up 100+ samples over a 6-month period and this worked the best to get the flavors out of the spices.

9. As for it being the best out there - that is subjective - to some I am sure it will be great - to others OK and to others bad. If you do not like Spices, then this is not for you as it is loaded with spices. So much so that a few get past the filters when they are changing the clogged filter media. You will see two types of sediments on the bottom of the bottle. (a) real spices and (b) some fatty acids (flocculation) from the aging of the Rum as we do not chill filter the product.

I hope this helps answer any questions others may have and all I ask is that you try the product and compare it to other spiced Rums out there and let me know your thoughts on it. We are not perfect, but we are very happy with the product we put out there and stand behind the quality of it as a Spiced Rum that could be enjoyed in a Rum and Coke and/or Neat or On the Rocks.

Robert
flavorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:31 AM   #10
cycloneX

Quote:
Originally Posted by flavorguy View Post
To all -- I am the person who formulated The Lash and am responsible for the "flavors" in many other products out in the marketplace as well. Some large and some small. I spent 15+ years in flavor development and specialized in the liquor industry. Regardless, I wanted to clear up some confusion about The Lash.
Well well..... looks like we stirred the pot a little. Im not saying its not a good product.... just a little more hype than substance. But twist my arm to try a new Rum?? OK. BUT... since your "the guy" who formulated it...if Im disappointed.... I know who to talk to!!

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions