MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

119 years ago in 1895, Destilerias Arehucas, S.A. was establihsed in the Canary Islands.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
lperry

Default Ron Bocoy

We just found out we'll be in Puerto Rico at the end of the month. I was there a few years ago and picked up Ron Barrillitos two star and some Don Q, but I have begun to explore rum much more since then, and now know I should have bought the Palo Viejo as well. At any rate, I was looking online for Puerto RIcan rums and found references to Ron Bocoy. When I searched for the brand, however, the company seems to be based in Cuba(?)

So I've come to the experts. Does anyone know about this rum?
lperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 06:34 AM   #2
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by lperry View Post
We just found out we'll be in Puerto Rico at the end of the month. I was there a few years ago and picked up Ron Barrillitos two star and some Don Q, but I have begun to explore rum much more since then, and now know I should have bought the Palo Viejo as well. At any rate, I was looking online for Puerto RIcan rums and found references to Ron Bocoy. When I searched for the brand, however, the company seems to be based in Cuba(?)

So I've come to the experts. Does anyone know about this rum?
Fabrica Ron Bocoy is located in Cuba and bottles rums under different labels, including a special bottling for Castro, "Isla de Tesoro".

The Ron Bocoy produced in Puerto Rico sells in the $7 to $8 range, It is bottled by Trigo Corporation, which maintains a low profile here. Trigo also bottles Reserva Aneja and Ron Canita. The latter being bottled at 86 proof with a flavor profile distinct amongst other white rums from Puerto Rico.

Last edited by Rum Runner; 10-02-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #3
lperry

So do you think it is worth it to make space for one of the rums from this producer?
Old 10-02-2008, 11:53 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I've only tried that rum once and since you mention space considerations, I'd look for something that is more special. When you arrive in the airport check the selection at the duty free stores. Bacardi bottles at least one rum that is only available in Puerto Rico. Duty free isn't necessarily cheap in Puerto Rico but you owe it to yourself to check the selection.

I'd plan on picking up a bottle of both the 2 and 3 star Barrilito rums. As you know Ron Llave and Don Q are the most popular rums drunk by Puerto Ricans. If you're going to be spending some time in Old San Juan check out
Caсa Rum Bar 100 Cristo, Hotel El Convento, Old San Juan, San Juan, PR Phone: 787-723-9200. Federico, is knowledgable about what is available and should be able to tell about what is available.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:57 AM   #5
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I've only tried that rum once and since you mention space considerations, I'd look for something that is more special.
I agree. Both the Barrilito's are worth packing home. A tour of the Bacardi factory will yield the chance at something only available there.

I'm planning a day trip to OSJ to meet Federico this month and check out his new rum bar.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:35 PM   #6
lperry

Thanks for the information and advice. We will be staying in Old San Juan, so we will definitely make a trip to the rum bar. Cheers!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:40 AM   #7
forrest

i want to go.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
lperry

We are back and we had a great time. Caсa served a great mojito and daiquiri, and we also tried the Riserva Aсeja. It's nice to be in a bar where they are focused on quality local ingredients for the drinks. The food was very good as well.

I missed out on the Bacardi distillery this trip due to time constraints and logistics. In addition to these problems, we received advice from our hosts that we would be much better off with Puerto Rican rums, and it is difficult to argue with people who are this passionate. Bottles of Don Q, Ron del Barrilitos, Riserva Aсeja and Ron Caсita made it home with us.

Thanks as always for the suggestions, and happy travels.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:40 PM   #9
Rum Runner

Sounds like you did very well. We'll be happy to hear of your thoughts on the rums you procured.

Saludos!

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions