MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

15 years ago in 2004, House Spirits distillery was established in Portland, Oregon.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Default Review: El Dorado Single Barrel Demerara Rum PM

A friend of mine dropped by the other day with an intriguing bottle of rum from El Dorado Rums. A single barrel offering called El Dorado Single Barrel PM. Apparently the folks from Demerara Distilleries Ltd (DDL), did a series of single barrel bottlings to highlight the various characteristics of some of their more famous rum stills. In the case of the PM, this bottle highlights the Port Mourant Still which is the only production wooden pot still in the world today. This is the original wooden pot still, built at the Port Mourant Sugar Factory, which was constructed when the Demerara region began to produce navy rum for the Royal British Navy over two hundred years ago.

There are apparently two other Single barrel rums from El Dorado available in my locale, but so far this is only one that I have sampled. Here is an excerpt from my review:

In the glass the rum displays a rich oil which laid nice long fat legs down the inside of my glass. This should indicate a long rich finish. Rising from the glass is a woody tannin filled smell with a great complexity of aroma. Behind the woody tannins I smell coarse dark brown sugar…

You may read the full review here:

Review: El Dorado Single Barrel Demerara Rum PM

Once Ed adds this rum to his data base I will point the link in that direction:

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 01-31-2010 at 08:48 PM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:14 PM   #2
Ben

Hi Chip,

Very interesting review, since some ED Single Barrel are available here but at a healthy price (near 90$).

You say that the ED regular offerings are more enjoyable than the SB. I read your review of ED 12 and see that you enjoyed it even if you found it too sweet for your taste (I kind of agree). How would you compare the SB against ED15 (which is one of my all-time fave).
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
Arctic Wolf

Last night I was able to try the El Dorado Single Barrel ICBU (from the distillery next to the Uitvlught sugar factory, the Saville Still).

This was a wonderful treat. The rum notes were first and foremost with a very complex oak backdrop. I look forward to sampling this one some more and then doing my second review on this unique series of rums.

As for the Ed 15, I have never sampled that one yet. I own two bottles but have never had a chance to open one yet. I did sample the 21 and found it to be nicer than the 12 (The sweetness was toned down), but that was just one small sample so I do not consider that opinion to be well formed.

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 02-01-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:31 PM   #4
Ben

Interesting that there's seems to be a large gap in quality between SB.

I've not tasted ED21 (it's $95 around here) but the day will come. The ED15 is $57 so it's still not that expensive.

The Single Barrel available here is the EHP, the one shown on the MoR page. I wander how many SB there are since you tasted two and we have another one here.

Lucky you that you have still ED15 to discover. You will be in for a treat.

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 02-01-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:17 PM   #5
Arctic Wolf

I am not sure whether it is a large gap in quality, so much as a large gap in the style of rum rum each still produces.
Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 PM   #6
RonJames

I believe there are a total of 3 from the SB series, and you canucks are all lucky SOB's. I've been dieing to try these just to see what the different stills are like. I think the real advantage that ED brings to the table is all those unique old stills that no other rum producer can duplicate.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf