MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

129 years ago in 1890, Compañia Licorera de Nicaragua, SA was established in Nicaragua.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 08-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #41
LatinaPlatina

Default Venezuelan rum taking off in UK

Hi guys,

Venezuelan rum is taking off in the UK. My local bistro makes all its cocktails with Pampero Oro, my local Waitrose supermarket stocks Santa Teresa Gran Reserva and I can even get Diplomatico in London...

My friend has started a blog to further support Venezuelan food and drinks in the UK and he posted a cocktail recipe called El Ritual that he makes with Pampero Aniversario:

http://www.venezuelanfoodanddrinks.b...el-ritual.html

Is this a proper Venezuelan cocktail or did Diageo create it for the advertizing campaign in Italy?
LatinaPlatina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #42
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I have drunk rum with sugar lime and coffee in a couple of places in the past, but it isn't my usual quaff. My guess, and this is just a guess, that Diageo didn't make this up for the Italian market. There is probably more coffee grown in Central and South America than in Italy so my guess, I'm guessing a lot today, is that it originated in the tropics.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 07:06 AM   #43
gatomalo

The country which is represented more than any other in my collection is Venezuela. I fell in love with Venezuelan rums when I lived in Spain, and I stock up on them whenever I go back to Spain since the prices there are so much more reasonable than in the UK.

Right now I have bottles of Santa Teresa 1796, Selecto (the wacky old bottling) and Gran Reserva; plus from Pampero the regular Especial, the Selección 1938 and several bottles of the Aniversario; I have one lonely bottle of Diplomatico Reserva (the Reserva Exclusiva will be my next purchase); and I also have the whole line of Cacique including the limited edition Cacique Antiguo which will remain unopened until a suitable occasion.

I do remember there being a recipe for "el ritual" on the back of my bottle of Pampero Selección 1938 - and most of the times I have come across this term have been in connection with Pampero - so it is possible that Pampero (now owned by Diageo) may have had a hand in the emergence of this cocktail in Venezuela (more likely though it has long been established in Venezuela). I certainly don't think it was devised for the Italian market.

I wouldn't want to use Pampero Aniversario for this or any other cocktail though, especially given that it is over £30 a bottle in the UK. There are plenty of cheaper Venezuelan rums readily available that would be suitable and much friendlier on the pocket!

Last edited by gatomalo; 08-11-2009 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Addition of info
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:48 PM   #44
Fabio

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomalo View Post
The country which is represented more than any other in my collection is Venezuela. I fell in love with Venezuelan rums when I lived in Spain, and I stock up on them whenever I go back to Spain since the prices there are so much more reasonable than in the UK.

Right now I have bottles of Santa Teresa 1796, Selecto (the wacky old bottling) and Gran Reserva; plus from Pampero the regular Especial, the Selección 1938 and several bottles of the Aniversario; I have one lonely bottle of Diplomatico Reserva (the Reserva Exclusiva will be my next purchase); and I also have the whole line of Cacique including the limited edition Cacique Antiguo which will remain unopened until a suitable occasion.

I do remember there being a recipe for "el ritual" on the back of my bottle of Pampero Selección 1938 - and most of the times I have come across this term have been in connection with Pampero - so it is possible that Pampero (now owned by Diageo) may have had a hand in the emergence of this cocktail in Venezuela (more likely though it has long been established in Venezuela). I certainly don't think it was devised for the Italian market.

I wouldn't want to use Pampero Aniversario for this or any other cocktail though, especially given that it is over £30 a bottle in the UK. There are plenty of cheaper Venezuelan rums readily available that would be suitable and much friendlier on the pocket!
I am from Venezuela and can say you are very well informed about the bets rums in my country. I would mention a couple of rums you might want to try. One is Canaveral Blue label which might be difficult to find (and expensive). The other one is Santa Teresa Bicentenario. This one is a very rare rum aged 20 years but includes in its blend a small amount of rums with 100 years of aging. Is very particular and I have one bottle waiting for a special occasion. Thanks for your post.
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 10:59 PM   #45
Karupano1762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto Fariсez View Post
Hi there all of you !! specially Mr. Classick that I’ve recently met at WSWA, and Mr. Robert Burr that I met at Ybor City’s Tasting 2006. I really appreciate Dave’s comments about Pachano Nº 23.

Yes, I am the guy in the picture. I do run the company that makes Pachano Nº 23 of Fariñez and Ron Macuro, they are totally different but both from Venezuela. Their profiles are completely singular, Pachano Nº 23 in the Super Premium and Ron Macuro in the Ultra Premium category. In fact, I define the profile of our products and our Master Blender along with the tasting panel achieves the profiled rum.

Pachano Nº 23 will be available in the US east cost from Q3 2008; around $42 per bottle. Ron Macuro still has no date of introduction. So, that Macuro’s bottle indeed is a collector’s item. Our newest rum, Pachano, has not been presented anywhere else but WSWA Las Vegas 2008 not even in Venezuela. This is the reason why there is nothing out there in the Internet.

It would not be fair for me to compare Pachano Nº 23 to Diplomatico Reserva Especial nor Pampero Aniversario. What I would like to point out is that all Venezuelan rums are great; there are only different categories:

Aguardiente (not aged)
Rum Liquor (aged less than 2 years)
Añejo : Standard (aged from 2 to 4 years)
Extra Añejo : Premium (aged from 4 to 6 years)
Añejo Super Premium
Añejo Ultra Premium

Under the brand name Fariñez, I personally also produce 100% Venezuelan chocolates and fine cigars.

Pachano Nº 23
Ron Añejo Súper Premium (RASP)

Pachano Nº 23 of Fariñez of extraordinary body, elegant flavor and fine aroma, meticulous blend of pure natural spring water and the most delicate reserves of 23 years of aging, granting wonderful body of thick tears and slow fall.

Let your senses be transported to the exotic land of Venezuela and experience the amazing flavor of the tropical rain forest of Carúpano, perceive its oak notes, with sweet and fruity memoirs, also vanilla, leather, tobacco, butterscotch and roasted hints, attaining the most refined and genuine Venezuelan rum: Pachano Nº 23 of Fariñez.

Native of Venezuela

The production of Pachano Nº 23 of Fariñez is inspired in a Venezuelan historical moment: the minting of the first gold coin.

During the third period of government of General Antonio Guzmán Blanco the Royal House of Mint was established. The new mint’s machinery went into operation on October 16, 1886. General Jacinto R. Pachano, inspector of the National Government, gives the president the first gold Bs.100 coin produced and he said: “How marvelous, Pachano!”. This expression led to the popular name of this gold coin "Pachano" by which this coin was commonly known.

The Fariñez brand represents: Passion, Exclusivity, Luxury, Style and Quality. Every product unifies the workmanship, dedication, understanding, knowledge and respect of traditions, together with the innovation and sense of functional elegance. Crafted with passion and caring of details. Fariñez excels due to its authentic concept.

Saludos Alberto

Vivo en la Isla de Margarita. No he visto aqui sus rones, me encantaría probarlos. ¿sabe si existe distribución para nuestro turistico estado insular?

Gracias

(Excuse my poor English)

Greetings Alberto

I live on the Island of Margarita. I have not seen your rums here, I would love to try them. Do you know if there is a distribution for our tourist insular state?

Thank you
Karupano1762 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums