MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

349 years ago in 1670, there were 380 sugar plantations in what is now Guyana. Demerara Sugar and Demerara Rum were known for their quality.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Batavia Arrack
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Batavia Arrack

Traditional cane spirit of the Dutch East Indies

Old 12-11-2007, 05:47 PM   #11
scheer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
It is made from a combination of molasses based spirit and a small percentage of fermented rice. This white spirit has a lot of flavor and is used in chocolate making in Holland.
Dear all,

Batavia Arrack is in fact rum, its molasse based and only in the fermentation process local fermented rice is added just to start the fermentation. The specific local yeast which is used as well contributes to the specific and unique taste and flavour. Furthermore like in almost all rum distilling cases, the distillation is done in very specific pot stills, based on history; Chinese pot stills, since the Chinese brought distilling to Indonesia. it is still distilled in that "egg" shapped kind of pot still.
it is used in the famous Swedish national drink: Punch, its used in bitterliqueurs as "the secret ingredient since its a booster for the spices and herbs, its used as a rum flavour booster toghether with/ blended/ mixed with flavourfull rum in the confectionery industry and its used as a raw material in the flavour industry to create other aroma's and flavours. Or for the die hards it can be drunk neat as well. Any more questions just let me know.

Last edited by scheer; 12-11-2007 at 06:02 PM.
scheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:02 PM   #12
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Thank you for that perspective from Europe, in the US it is not classified as rum. I spent a number of years around Indonesia and although I was introduced to a few arracks, it wasn't generally drunk except in special drinks for special occasions.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:22 PM   #13
Tiare

See how educated one gets here..I didn`t know it was a part of the Swedish punch..that punch is something I haven`t drunk for years...

Last edited by Tiare; 02-13-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
scheer

Note that Arrack is a generic name its arabic for eaux de vie. You can find Arrack everywhere but Batavia Arrack is unique. I know Arrack made from all other raw material than sugar cane originating from e.g. lebanon or Sri Lanka. The last two are totally different types. From lebanon e.g is a kind of aniseed drink like ricard from france and has nothing to do with Batavia Arrack.
Since Indonesia is a muslim country you will not find easily the Batavia Arrack which is exported to Europe. My company is importing this spirit in Bulk since the very beginning of the founding of our còmpany in 1712, and still is an important player in creating unique blends for our customers.
it is impossible to create Swedish punch without Batavia Arack and this drink dates back many many years. Normally it was a tradition in Sweden to drink this with hot pea soup by the army and the students, but tiare would be able to tell yo more about this ancient tradition I guess.
scheer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 08:42 AM   #15
Tiare

Thanks for telling us about the Batavia arrak, its indeed very interesting..I think I must get some..
The habit of eating hot peasoup in Sweden is still in practise, not only among the army, its widely eaten usually on thursdays. Thursday is "peasoup and pancake day" here, especially in schools.
But the punch is a old habit that maybe i`m afraid is not practised so much by the generation born after the 60s, like myself. I don`t know any of my friends that drinks it..
But I remember my aunt and my grand parents used to drink this punch, not to peasoup,but to a fine dinner.
When I tasted this punch I was a child and didn´t like it..maybe I would like it better now?
What is interesting is that it can be used for drink mixing and in diverse syrups, time for new experiments?

Last edited by Tiare; 02-13-2008 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:57 PM   #16
Michael

We previously encountered Swedish Punch or Punsch as an elusive ingredient in some of the "forgotten cocktails" which Ted Haigh, Dr. Cocktail, included in his recent book. Although a premixed, expensive version from Carlshamns is available online, it would seem preferable to make it from scratch, if Batavia Arrack and other required ingredients are available.

Is the recipe for the Punch, Tiare, standard and readily available in Sweden? If so, we would be most grateful were you to post it here, as many of Dr. Cocktail's suggested recipes were already found to be quite wonderful and my wife and I would love to try those calling for Swedish Punsch.

Of course, the Batavia Arrack seems to have many additional intriguing uses.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2008, 02:36 PM   #17
Tiare

I know for sure there are quite a few and quite a few very old recipes on some Swedsih websites..i made a quick scan last week as iґm aiming to collect the most authentic recipes. I think some are from the 1800 something.
Sadly for me the Batavia arrak is no longer sold here and i can get if from the US but the shipping price is a whopping 70 usd..
The pre bottled punsches are available here though in a few varietes. So i`m thinking of buying some and modify them a bit.
Let me do some research and i`ll post it here.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Old 02-22-2008, 06:31 PM   #18
Tiare

Default Old Recipes For Swedish Punsch

I have never tried these recipes myself so i don`t know the result..

SWEDISH PUNSCH RECIPE

About 2,25 litres
8 dl water
11 dl sugar
9 dl 40% spirit
35 cl "Extra Fine Batavia Arrak"
37 cl white wine or lemon juice according to taste
simple syrup
1 dl strong tea.

Heat the water and dissolve the sugar. Cool. Mix the simple syrup, spirit, arrak and wine or lemonjuice.
Add some tea for color.

RECIPE FROM ABOUT 1950

1,5L water
1 kg sugar
3 tbslp dark sugar
1 tsp citric acid
6 tblsp vinegar (15%)
1,4L vodka or spirit 96%
350 ml extra fine Batavia Arrak
350 ml dark rum
350 ml dry sherry (ex amontillado)
60 ml good cognac

Take a large pot and add 1 1/2L water.Add the sugar and the dark sugar,citric acid and the дttikan.The citric acid and the vinegar adds a bit of tartness and that special yellowish color so nessesary for a true Punsch.
Bring to a quick boil and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Leave to simmer for a couple of hours. Leave to cool before adding the spirits.
Stir real good for at least 20 min before bottling.

RECIPE FROM 1755:

"Boil water in a tea pot and pour the hot water in your Punsch bowl and add lemonjuice and sugar and then the Arrak."

Start adding the sugar in the bowl, then add lemonjuice and hot water.Stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the Arrak and stir.
Add the peel of a fresh lemon. Cool before bottling.

7 dl arrak
2 l water
3,5 dl clear strained fresh lemon juice
700 g sugar

ANOTHER RECIPE

2 oz. Batavia-Arrack van Oosten
1/2 oz. Rum
3/4 oz. Fresh Lemon Juice
1/2 oz. Simple Syrup
3 oz. Water
A pinch of ground cardamom or nutmeg.

OLD PUNCH COCKTAIL RECIPE

Doctor": 1/3 gin, 1/3 punsch, 1/3 pressed fresh lemon juice.

Old 02-24-2008, 05:54 PM   #19
Tiare

Default More recipes

I got a few more requests for Swedish Punsch recipes so i also posted these recipes here:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/...c5d82923b2e85b

And there are some more postings there now with additional recipes.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #20
Michael

I didn't notice your recipe posts until today, but just discovered the following response to an article with respect to Batavia Arrack:

"Swedish Student said:

I must say that the swedish punch or well "punsch" as we say it actually isnt made with Jamaica rum as stated in this article.

Here is a nice recipe:

for approx 2-2,5litres
use 0.35litre Arrack
approx 1 litre of 40% vodka
tea, earl grey or something similar
lots of sugar (and sometimes some honey)
something that adds some bitternes (lemonjuice, white wine, sulfuric acid...)

How to?

Well, make the tea according to the old recipe one spoon for each cup and one for the pot. A pot you get approx 5 cups from so thats one extra per 5 cups of water

After the tea has been made remove the tea-leafs and start adding sugar.
Once you added enough sugar (when its about to become to sweet for you to drink) this is also the stage you can replace some sugar for honey; then let it cool to room-temperature.

Add in just a bit of lemonjuice or whatever you use then add the vodka and the arrack and voila, you got punsch. Genuine Real Swedish Punsch"

http://www.artofdrink.com/2006/10/batavia-arrack.php

The article author appears to have confused Sri Lankan Arrack with Batavia Arrack from Java, but perhaps the response contains a useful recipe for the elusive Swedish Punsch.

This one is a bit vague, particularly with respect to the amount of sugar and lemon required, but seems promising. We'll have to get a bottle of Batavia Arrack and experiment.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Batavia Arrack