MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

16 years ago in 2004, House Spirits distillery was established in Portland, Oregon.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 04-14-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
headhunter

Default Rums to buy in Jamaica and Caymans?

I'm new to the site so bare with me if this question has been asked, but I did a search and couldn't find exactly what I am looking for.
My family is going on a cruise to Caymans and Ocho Rios, Jamaica. I was thinking I need to buy something and thought "Rum". I don't think there is a distillery in Ocho Rios so I need to buy it at the store. But I need suggestions.
I don't sip rum, but that might be because I have not found one that I liked.
I do mix rum. I mix in Mojito mix for wife, dark and OJ for me and Rum and coke for me.
If would like to get a good sipping rum, maybe taste it here is the US before I buy an expensive bottle, but then pick up some nice mixing rums.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 10:33 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

In Ocho Rios the best rums you're going to find are Appleton Estate Rums. The bottles are oval shaped as opposed to the general straight cylinder rum bottle. Ideally I suggest things which aren't available in the US, why carry rums you can buy at home unless you can save some real money.

Check the price of Appleton VX in your local store, if it's a deal on vacation go for it. As for the Cayman's you'll probably find Tortuga, Blackbeards and a couple of other private labels. You should also find a rum tasting stand near the cruise ship docks.

Since you say you don't sip rums yet, you're probably wasting your money to buy the best Appleton rums in Jamaica. I check the grocery stores in places like Ocho Rios as they probably have the best prices and are worth the experience to see what else is available.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #3
stockdoct

Send a message via Yahoo to stockdoct

My Favorite was Tortuga 5 year old, which I've found is un-available in the USA. Yum, delicious, carmel and smooth tasting, the 5 year old is actually much better than the 12 year old (which is also unavailable in the USA).

I tried many others too, including Flor De Cana and some lower-brands exclusive to the islands, but wasn't impressed.

On Grand Cayman, go to the restaurant "Breezes" right down where the cruise ships come in. You can buy flights of rum to taste --- the restaurant offers a couple "pre-arranged" flights, but the bartenders were willing to substitute anything I wanted. They had 34 rums available by the shot. Very cool place and the food was wonderful.

Mike
stockdoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #4
JMac

The selection in the Caymans was pretty good. The rums I saw there were Tortuga Gold and a 12 year. Ron Botran Anejo, FDC, and Havana Club. You might have to check out several stores to get the full range.
JMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions