MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

521 years ago in 1498, Europeans discovered what is now Guyana.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
Berbician

Smile Barbancourt 5 star

For those of you in the UK - Barbancourt 5 star is on special offer at Waitrose till 4th November 2008. Down from Ј18.99 a bottle to Ј14.99 a bottle.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 05:09 AM   #2
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Any similar offers for Barbancourt 15?
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:55 AM   #3
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berbician View Post
For those of you in the UK - Barbancourt 5 star is on special offer at Waitrose till 4th November 2008. Down from Ј18.99 a bottle to Ј14.99 a bottle.
Good call Berbician! Waitrose is very good for rum and they usually have one rum offer per month. Last month it was the English Harbour 5 yo, and the month before that it was the Angostura 1919.

My bottle of Barbancourt 5 star is about half full (or half empty depending on your outlook) so now it would seem like an excellent time to stock up!
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #4
gatomalo

According to their website Waitrose now have Cockspur 12 on special offer at Ј16.49. Can't make my mind up if that's a good price or not, but seeing as I've never sampled this rum before, I will probably get a bottle. The prices on the website are usually the same as in the stores.

The Cockpur 5 star is also on offer at Ј9.99, which in anyone's book must be considered a bargain!
Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 PM   #5
Berbician

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomalo View Post
According to their website Waitrose now have Cockspur 12 on special offer at Ј16.49. Can't make my mind up if that's a good price or not, but seeing as I've never sampled this rum before, I will probably get a bottle. The prices on the website are usually the same as in the stores.

The Cockpur 5 star is also on offer at Ј9.99, which in anyone's book must be considered a bargain!
I bought a bottle of the Cockspur 5 star, for Ј9.99, a few months ago, and I also thought that it was a bargain. I've never tried the Cockspur 12, so can't comment. However, I will be in Waitrose in a few hours time to do some more research.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:30 AM   #6
TheRumelier

I went to the Waitrose on your guys recommendation and I saw the Barbancourt on special while I was in the UK, but still 3 times what I pay for it here!! I ended up buying a bottle of 1919 to sip while I was staying with my brother. I tried to convert him to rum drinking but failed, I thought this would be the best option from the supermarket from their limited selection. It was good to see rums on special though. I ended up mailing 6 various bottles back, 3 have shown up so far, still waiting for the rest. The one I saved for my suitcase was the very heavy Pusser's Yachting Decanter, I bought at Portsmouth Dockyard, a great looking bottle for the collection, and the rums pretty good to.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:18 AM   #7
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berbician View Post
I bought a bottle of the Cockspur 5 star, for £9.99, a few months ago, and I also thought that it was a bargain. I've never tried the Cockspur 12, so can't comment. However, I will be in Waitrose in a few hours time to do some more research.
Berbician, I bought the Cockspur 12 yesterday for £16.49. I've not opened it yet but from what I've read it seems quite highly-regarded. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post
I went to the Waitrose on your guys recommendation and I saw the Barbancourt on special while I was in the UK, but still 3 times what I pay for it here!! I ended up buying a bottle of 1919 to sip while I was staying with my brother. I tried to convert him to rum drinking but failed, I thought this would be the best option from the supermarket from their limited selection. It was good to see rums on special though. I ended up mailing 6 various bottles back, 3 have shown up so far, still waiting for the rest. The one I saved for my suitcase was the very heavy Pusser's Yachting Decanter, I bought at Portsmouth Dockyard, a great looking bottle for the collection, and the rums pretty good to.
Rumelier, that's the problem with the UK! The Barbancourt at that price is cheap for us, but unfortunately we have to live with astronomical taxes on our alcohol. Waitrose has by far the best rum selection of any supermarkets - and they have at least one rum offer per month - but I agree that the selection is not extensive. I would probably have chosen the 1919 too as I've had success "converting" people with that in the past.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
TheRumelier

Most of our supermarkets here carry at least 30 rums. Obviously I have some say in what they carry as they buy most of them through me!! Unfortunately it's rare that they bring any new rums for us to sample, so I have to do it myself. Buying rum in a supermarket in the UK is actually better than buying it in a pub in the UK. The choices are so limited in the pubs, and the price is crazy as is the size of the drink you get in your glass. I usually drink real ale with a "shot" of rum on the side (usually some sort of navy rum). I have got into the navy rums recently and that is mainly what I purchased to ship home when I was in the UK. I think I would be spending a lot of money in Waitrose once a month when their specials come out if I still lived there!!
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions