MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

57 years ago in 1963, Ron Montero S.L. was established in Spain.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 02-09-2008, 04:04 PM   #1
tym2relax

Default Attn Ginger Beer Experts. Capt'n Eli's?

I first posted on this site looking for dark rum for my rum n' tonic. After getting suggestions I figured I have a lot of learning to do about rum. Thanks to all on this site for contributing.

Now the shopping. First I bought some Zaya for sipping and Gosslings Black Seal for mixing. I then went out for tonic, ginger ale and ginger beer. The ginger ale I got from Whole Foods was the 365.

The ginger beer for my FIRST Dark n' Stormy was more difficult. No Ginger Peoples or Barritts at Whole Foods or BevMo. From this forum I understood to avoid the HFCS's. I found a brand at BevMo that has not been discussed here so I wanted to know if anyone has tried Capt'n Eli's Ginger Beer?

Capt'n Eli's ingredients are water, cane sugar, natural ginger flavor and citric acid. What little I could find online was positive, strong ginger bite.

Sound like it may be a good find. What do you think?

Last edited by tym2relax; 02-09-2008 at 09:11 PM.
tym2relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
Tiare

I don`t know anything about Capt'n Eli's but i do know that if you make your own Ginger Beer you can get a stronger Ginger bite.

Here`s a link on how to make Ginger Beer with pictures:

http://www.vurt.co.uk/2005/06/15/GingerBeer/

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
The Scribe

I've used that recipe, and it didn't have all that much ginger taste. Now my ginger wasn't grated, or even well julienned, but I also let it steep for a very long time in the fridge. It's also ridiculously carbonated, though that may also be due to the fact that I refrigerated it. I did just make up a wonderful batch of falernum that turned out great.
Cheers. - S
The Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Tiare

I´ve never tried that recipe myself, i found it on the net but i would suggest adding more Ginger and make puree of it instead of grating.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice

Last edited by Tiare; 02-09-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #5
Hank Koestner

I use Appleton VX as my test base rum whenever I try a new ginger ale or beer. I recently tried Cap't Eli's, and I found that it had a nice ginger flavor, but the rum dulled it down quite a bit. It would still be a better choice than Canada Dry or Seagrams, or some of the other standard ginger ales that are available.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #6
tym2relax

Thanks Tiare, but for my fist D n' S I wouldn't want to experiment making my own ginger beer.

Hank, that does not sound like much of an endorsement. I suppose I am missing what is truly important in selecting. Type of sweetener used? Ginger strength? Or is just personal taste. Gosslings recommends the Baritt's but it has HFCS now and tough to find around here. Reeds ia available though.

How about Scott. Opinion on this maybe?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:01 PM   #7
The Scribe

I have found that there is a distinctive style of ginger beer known as "Bermuda stone ginger beer." The most common representative of this category of Barritt's, however there are others. I know that Regatta is one of these and available in the states, and I've had one or two more in Bermuda. I also think the HFCS thing is slightly overblown. Is there a noticeable difference? Yes. Does that mean you should drink an inferior ginger beer simply because it has sugar instead of HFCS? No. I'm not saying abandon the search for an HFCS-free ultra ginger brew, but in the meantime drink the best ginger beer you can find. You also might try looking at your local liquor store for Barritt's. Liquor stores are the only places in the States I have found Barritt's, but I've found it in a half dozen liquor stores. (Incidentally, for you health nuts out there, beverages sweetened with HFCS actually contain less sugar than those sweetened by cane sugar since HFCS is perceived as much sweeter than sugar by the human tongue.)
Cheers. - S
The Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
tym2relax

Thanks Scribe for the info. I'll track down the Barritt's one way or the other.

Last edited by tym2relax; 02-10-2008 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #9
Hank Koestner

Barritts is a big, delicious ginger beer. Appleton VX is not a good choice for that brew. IMHO Gosling's Black Seal is the best with it, but a good pour of Zaya is good also. I dont concern myself with how the brew or ale is sweetened, I just look for a good tasting product. I like Reed's, Outrageous Ginger Brew, Saranac and Barritts, so far. I taste as many as I come across.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #10
BStout

I wouldnґt call myself a ginger beer expert, but somehow i still have an opinion...

I have never liked Reedґs, now that Iґve been reading on this site Iґve checked the ingredients and I think its because I donґt like pineapple juice as a general rule, I love pineapple when its fresh, but for me it doesnt store, can, preserve into a flavour i like. so it makes to me that i dont like it as a sweetener.

I like ginger, enough so that whenever i slice it i end up chewing on a piece or three.

I also like spicy, therefore i am definitely in favor of the ginger beers that add capsicum, and any heavy molasses rum is a great balancer for a dash of that in the ginger beer.

Given these personal likes/dislikes Iґve found that i dont mind the high fructose (either because iґm just a heathen, or because iґve been programmed to since its in so many of my drinks) and that i like the ones that add capsicum for a bonus kick. which is why i like Goya, not my drop dead favorite, but very available in the city and half the price of many inferior and a few superior ones iґve tried.

so try a few, then figure out why you like the ones you like and hunt in the direction that sends you. same for rum

cheers.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions