MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

271 years ago in 1749, J. Wray & Nephew Limited was established on Jamaica.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-12-2009, 03:32 AM   #1
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Default Some New Rum Reviews

As discussed in my last thread found here:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2670

I opened two new rums (new for me at least), Diplomatico Reserva Eclusiva from Venezuela and Old Port Deluxe Rum from Bangalore India and have sampled them slowly and lazily over the last month. I was also given two treats by friends; a partial bottle of Renegade Rum's Guyana UITLUGHT and from Cuba, Ron Santero Anejo Blanco.

As promised I have compiled my review for each. As an added bonus I also will provide a review for Mount Gay Extra Old which I forgot to review before. All my previous reviews can be found here:

http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2656

My rating system is based upon a minimum of 5 drams of rum over a minimum of 5 different sessions.

IN THE BOTTLE: 5pts
IN THE GLASS 10pts
IN THE MOUTH 60pts
IN THE THROAT 15pts
THE AFTERBURN 10pts

Without further ado:

Mount Gay Extra Old ($40.00) 81.5 pts

In the Bottle: 4.5/5.0

I love the bottle and cardboard container. A little history and a little ambiance before serving my friends.

In the Glass 9.0/10

A nice rich semi dark liquid. A smell of toasted hazelnut and dark molasses. A slightly burnt smell kind of like charred marshmallow.

In the Mouth 50/60

I can taste all sorts of things here. Touches of allspice and coriander. A little pecan and hazelnut. It would be simply divine except that the sugary notes taste burnt. And a wave of bitterness sweeps through the back of my mouth. The only thing saving the rating is the complexity of the other flavours which really save this liquid,

In the Throat 10/15

The bitterness dominates in the throat but the burn feels nice. My breath has a nice vanilla/cinnamon toast which my wife likes but I think I will have to mix this with coke in the future.

The Afterburn 8/15

I will confess here that all of my friends like this far more than I do. It is the bitterness and burnt molasses that does me in. I found myself unwilling to finish this bottle until I had mixed it 50/50 with Flor de Cana. At that point I and my friends liked it a lot.

Ron Santera Anejo Blanco 66/100
(Free for me 7 bucks for my friend who bought it in Cuba))

In the Bottle: 4.5/5

Hey what's not to like about a free bottle. It's even got a cork.

In the Glass: 7.5/10

Nothing special here, the nose seems a little harsh with unfamiliar spice. Maybe I'm catching a little anise.. maybe not.

In the Mouth 38/60

This is yuchy. Maybe my friend is not really a friend. The taste is entirely too medicinal and raw. Strange that an anejo blanco would have such harshness. This is really bitter too. This actually reminds me of the Old Listerine mouthwash. You know the one that tastes bad but works.

In the Throat 10/15

The odd flavours settle as it goes down but the experience is not worth repeating many times.

The Afterburn 6/10

I tried this in a mojito and a RumCoke without suitable results. I guess I know why this was given to me.

Old Port Deluxe Rum 92/100 ($46.00)

In the Bottle: 4.0/5.0

I love the funky bottle. A nice cardboard box with a map of India or something like that would have been a nice touch.

In the Glass 9.0/10

A nice rich semi dark liquid. The aroma is really hard to place as it really has an exotic scent. I guess I would say it reminded me of the oriental 7 spice mixture I use to cook chicken.

In the Mouth 56/60

I can taste real complexity here. Touches of soy sauce, caramel, cinnamon and Brazil nuts. Very Complex but there is a slight touch of bitterness just hiding around the corner. Sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. This easily ranks up in texture and richness with the best rums I have tasted but I will warn you that it is a very different sort of taste. Old wood is creaking in the background somewhere too.

In the Throat 14/15

The unique oriental spices dominate in the throat and the burn feels nice. The Old Oak really hits the throat. This Rum tastes really old.

The Afterburn 9/10

This is so unique and yet so much like rum is supposed to taste that I love it.

Renegade Rum Guyana UITVLUGHT ($75.)88.5/100

In the Bottle: 5.0/5.0

I think Renegade Rums have by far the nicest decanter in the business.

In the Glass 8.5/10

I actually saw legs in the glass. A strange aroma though. It smells very muted and medicinal.

In the Mouth 54/60

I am glad I tasted this five times before I reviewed it as it gets better with each tasting. I will warn you that the flavour is unlike any rum I have tasted previously. At first all I can taste is this strange mixture of dry white wine and Edradour Scotch. But as it sits in my mouth the sweet rum notes start to come through in spades. This drink really has to sit in the glass at room temperature to achieve its full spectrum of flavour.

In the Throat 13/15

The rum notes finally gush through the wine and scotch completely. Nice.

The Afterburn 8/10

This is so unique and yet so much unlike rum that it is hard to quantify. I find myself rather having straight Scotch or straight rum rather than this. But I think it could definitely grow on you.

Diplomatico Reserva Eclusiva 97/100 ($50.00)

In the Bottle: 5.0/5.0

I love the green canister and the nice bottle complete with Cork.

In the Glass 9.5/10

Stupendous bouquet. So rich and luxurious that I can hardly keep it from my mouth. Mostly caramel with nice hints of cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg and walnuts.

In the Mouth 58/60

This tastes very similar to Ron Zacapa 23 except it is slightly sweeter. Slightly richer. All the aromas mentioned above come through in spades when I taste this. Nutty, caramelly, sugar and cinnamon with butter. Mmmmm!
The only detraction is a tiny bit of burnt sugar at the very back of the palate.

In the Throat 14.5/15

What a nice finish. My throat is coated with chocolate almonds and caramel. But not so sweet that it could ever get old.

The Afterburn 10/10

This is so good! I expect the next time I see a bottle in the store the price will have doubled. I was so surprised by this one that I decided to do a side by side taste test with my favourite rum Flor de Cana 7yr. Three friend joined.

After a lot of debate one friend said this was slightly better. One friend said they were equals, and the last one as well as I liked Flor de Cana slightly more. Not surprisingly I give this rum the second highest rating I have given. Just a half notch below Flor de Cana.

Then again I'm probably fooling myself if I think I can taste half a point difference.

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 05-12-2009 at 03:40 AM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions