MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

93 years ago in 1927, Industria Licorera de Caldas was established.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-26-2007, 11:48 PM   #1
Patapouf

Default Don Rhon Gran Reserva

Hello everyone,

I'm glad I've stumbled upon this site because I'm quickly becoming in love with rum. It is of course thanks to my trips to the Dominican Republic.

I've, of course, tasted most of the Brugal products, including my favorite Extra Viejo.

A few weeks ago I stumbled upon a rum called Don Rhon Gran Reserva (in a neat barrel shaped bottle). It was widely available in the market and the vendors kept bragging that it was their best rum (better than Brugal's Extra Viejo wich was just as available). I have not opened it yet.

Have any of you tried this one? Would you consider it to be a good rum? Or was I runned for my money.

None the less, I only paid 7$. If you need any other info I'll try my best. Thanks!
Patapouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:18 PM   #2
Patapouf

So does anyone know of this rum? I thought it'd be more known since this rum was just as present as Brugal's
Old 05-30-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
Hank Koestner

Post Don Rhon

I have never heard of it, but I have a friend who has travels to the DR, and she said she has seen it. She has never tasted it. I might be able to procure a bottle when she goes back in 3 months. Sounds like a fun bottle to have in the collection. Let us know how it tastes!!
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
Patapouf

You've confirmed my thoughts... it's not well know outside of the DR. Yeah, it is a neat looking bottle and in the next few days I'll give it a sipping. I'll even be able to compare it to Brugal's rums (the Anejo and Extra Viejo); they seem to be the DR's popular benchmarks.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2007, 01:40 AM   #5
Sanson

If I remember correctly, Don Rhon, is made by Vinicola del Norte, which is owned by Brugal. Anyway, Don Rhon isn`t very popular, not even in the DR. Try Barcelo Imperial in your next trip to the DR.
Sanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 08:31 AM   #6
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Brugal has over 70% of the rum market in the DR and it appears that Don Rhon is an attempt to expand that market with a new product. I was just in the DR and had to try it. I was slightly disappointed because I also heard from the retailer that this was the latest and greatest new rum in a country known for their great rum. Unfortunately, I lost my camera on that trip so I don't have a jpg to post.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Last Monday night I ran across a bottle of Don Rhon in San Francisco, someone had brought it back from the DR and I was offered another taste of this 37.5% abv rum. The polished copper hue is very attractive in the glass, but the ,blackberry, sweet peach initial taste quickly fades to a short, dry finish. Don Rhon reminds me of the woman who shared it with me: dark, sweet and short.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 11:57 PM   #8
Patapouf

Well... I've finally sipped it, and compared it to the extra vieijo. Brugal's is still the best I've tasted so far; actually Don Rhon cant even compare. Don Rhon's take has a very sharp taste, not smooth like I'm used to. It also has a lingering after taste.

Oh well... maybe I'll just use it to make some mamajuana! It did have some impressive flavors that should mix well with the roots and honey.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #9
worlok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf View Post
Well... I've finally sipped it, and compared it to the extra vieijo. Brugal's is still the best I've tasted so far; actually Don Rhon cant even compare. Don Rhon's take has a very sharp taste, not smooth like I'm used to. It also has a lingering after taste.

Oh well... maybe I'll just use it to make some mamajuana! It did have some impressive flavors that should mix well with the roots and honey.
Mamajuana can take the nastiest rum and convert it into a smooth spicy elixir.
worlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #10
bunnyhugs

I'm drinking some Don Rhon now and not enjoying it. . .

Ed's assessment seems if anything too kind. Of course everyone tastes differently, and maybe this one just doesn't grab me for whatever reason.

I'm finding it slightly rough, dryish, with a bitter chocolate taste (which seems almost artificial), and then some odd almost vermouth-like aromatic flavor. This vermouth note even carries through when you mix it with coke. I like vermouth normally, but this taste somehow just doesn't sit with me.

Still, I can see how some people locally might appreciate the dry finish compared to Brugal - which all seem sweetish. Overall I don't like it though.

The Barcelo Imperial on the other hand is a real stand out. I've been to the plaza by Columbus's palace a couple of times now and had a glass while watching a flamenco show in a Spanish restaurant there. I keep getting more out of the Barcelo Imperial each time I drink it. I think I'm going to go again tonight.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions