MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

78 years ago in 1942, Distillerie Damoiseau was established on Guadeloupe.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 03-27-2008, 06:43 AM   #1
SamuraiBartender

Post Swizzle Sticks Revisited

Hello all,
I'd recently posted this same message on the DrinkBoy boards, where an older thread from here was referenced.
What follows is a simple method to construct a makeshift, yet serviceable, swizzle stick at home, complete with photos:

----------------------------------------------
Here's How:
1. Buy a wooden kitchen spoon (or ransack the kitchen drawer for one).
2. Procure a few short bamboo skewers (they come in a box of about a billion).
3. Saw the spoon end off of your spoon (if you'd like a light muddler on one end of the swizzle, leave a 1/4" of the spoon on).
4. Trim the skewers down to approximately 1 1/4" in length.
5. Select a drill bit one size smaller than the skewers you intend to use (you can't use glue on this, so the fit has to be very tight).
6. Center the bit & drill your first hole ~1/8" from one end of the spoon handle.
7. Use anything that forms a right angle (t-square, protractor &c.) to line the bit up at a 90 degree angle to the hole & drill a second hole about 1/4" from the first one.
8. Use a hammer to gently tap the skewers into the holes - going slowly to make them even on both sides of the handle.
9. Round the edges of the skewers & handle with a file (try not to sand it too much else tiny particles may remain, only to be released later in someone's drink).
10. Wash the whole thing in a dishwasher/by hand. Coat with mineral oil such as you would a muddler.
10a. Smile, whip up a Queen's Park Swizzle & smile again.
----------------------------------------------

Cheers & Enjoy, let me know if/how this works out for you all...
~Chris

PS - Don't use dowels from the hardware/craft store - only food-grade wood. Don't use glue or varnish either, lest it dissolves off into someone's drink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg swizzlestick1 360x270.jpg (11.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg swizzlestick2 360x270.jpg (16.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg swizzlestick3 360x270.jpg (11.7 KB, 6 views)
SamuraiBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 05:05 PM   #2
Tiare

Welcome to the forum!

These looks cool, and to keep you MOR folks busy:

Here is also a link to how to make Pickless Drink Pick Rock Candy Swizzle Stick:

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/...wizzle%20stick

A Mountain of Crushed Ice

Last edited by Tiare; 03-27-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:50 AM   #3
SamuraiBartender

Default Swizzles & Postings

Cheers & Thanks Tiare; although I haven't posted before I have 'lurked' (is it me or is that the worst 'net expression' ever?) around here for quite some time.
There had been a thread on DrinkBoy re: swizzles that a member of MoR was kind enough to inquire with Mr. Hamilton about. As the solution arrived at there was the same as the one I'd seen here (i.e. go to the Caribbean to get a swizzle), figured I'd spread the word on an alternative.

~Chris
P.S. Really neat garnish by the by...think that'd work with a vanilla (or other spiced-) sugar?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:03 AM   #4
Tiare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiBartender View Post
Cheers & Thanks Tiare; although I haven't posted before I have 'lurked' (is it me or is that the worst 'net expression' ever?) around here for quite some time.
There had been a thread on DrinkBoy re: swizzles that a member of MoR was kind enough to inquire with Mr. Hamilton about. As the solution arrived at there was the same as the one I'd seen here (i.e. go to the Caribbean to get a swizzle), figured I'd spread the word on an alternative.
Its a good alternative and who can travel to the caribbean just like that?
BTW do you have a link to the thread on DrinkBoy?

Quote:
P.S. Really neat garnish by the by...think that'd work with a vanilla (or other spiced-) sugar?
I haven`t tried this rock candy swizzle stick and garnish but i suppose it would work with spiced sugar as well. If its possible to make rock candy syrup with spiced sugar? and it must be possible i suppose, as its all about over saturation.

BTW i like the woody feel of those other home made swizzle sticks!

Last edited by Tiare; 03-28-2008 at 07:55 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:43 PM   #5
SamuraiBartender

Post Swizzle Sticks &c.

Here's the link to the DB thread: Tools of the Trade: Swizzle Sticks

To be honest I haven't made rock candy snce I was very young - but I was down at the shore this summer past & recall having seen great big ones in different colors & flavors, so presumably a spiced/flavored one would work?

Cheers & Thanks - the swizzle I made is a big improvement on using a barspoon to do the same job, and its good & sturdy too...
Old 03-28-2008, 04:54 PM   #6
RumBarPhilly

Ed was kind enough to leave one of his swizzle sticks behind from his visit 2 weeks ago. Supposedly one of my staff members pleaded for it without my knowledge.

Sorry Ed!!
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 05:14 PM   #7
Tiare

Thanks for the link Samurai, i have forgotten that forum for quite a while.. been here and at the TC too much..

I have for a while been thinking of experimenting with making bitters but have had too many syrups going..I start tonight with a Grapefruit bitter.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:27 PM   #8
SamuraiBartender

Post DB & Bitters

You saw my spiced lemon bitters post(s) then eh? Think I'll post that recipe here as well - when I began that project I wasn't too sure how it would work out w/ the Rum base, but it turned out brilliantly!
I've just gotten ahold of a bottle of El Dorado's overproof, I may well make a half-batch of another bitters with that..I'm currently thinking either another Lemon (w/Grains of Paradise & more Lavender this time) or a Blood Orange & Lemon bitters. Good luck with the Grapefruit...
Old 03-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
Tiare

Quote:
You saw my spiced lemon bitters post(s) then eh? Think I'll post that recipe here as well - when I began that project I wasn't too sure how it would work out w/ the Rum base, but it turned out brilliantly!
I've just gotten ahold of a bottle of El Dorado's overproof, I may well make a half-batch of another bitters with that..I'm currently thinking either another Lemon (w/Grains of Paradise & more Lavender this time) or a Blood Orange & Lemon bitters. Good luck with the Grapefruit...
You are most welcome to post that lemon recipe here because i did not see it..haven`t browsed in that forum so much yet. I`m also interested in hearing how the El Dorado op works as i have ordered a bottle from Germany just yesterday.

I actually happen to have a jar with grains of paradise in my shelf..any suggestions?

Old 03-28-2008, 08:06 PM   #10
SamuraiBartender

Post GoP

Sorry Tiare - saw your bit on Grapefruit bitters & assumed when you went to DB you saw the Lemon bitters post I'd done some days ago. To sum that one up - I'd gotten sick of how 'weak/potable' Fee's Lemon bit. is, so I made my own on a rum base.. I'll put that up under rum infusions(?) soon.

Originally I mainly used GoP for homebrewing - it spices up a killer hard cider - after noting Sam Adams uses it in their summer beer. Since then I've discovered its very good in both cocktails (a little bit muddled in a Capirinha is lovely) and infusions:
With its similar flavor profile (& a white pepper-esque heat to boot) I generally substitute it anywhere Cardamom is called for, and sometimes Ginger as well. If you play with either of those (& add GoP) the results are also often good (I've made Ginger beer for mixing with it).

Its flavor pairs nicely against/with Vanilla - I have a bottle of GoP & Vanilla-infused Brugal white floating around in my cabinet (makes a wonderful Honi Honi), as well as a few experimental ounces of Batavia Arrack with some Meyer Lemon peel, Kaffir Lime, GoP & Demerara sugar infused into it..

I also occasionally (in summer mostly) make syrups with it - very good for spicy Moijtos, Rum Sours & certain Swizzles (the Queen's Park with half normal simple & half GoP-simple is a good one). As I said previously, I'm now considering replacing most of the Cardamom in a bitters recipe with GoP too.

Cheers

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses