MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

116 years ago in 1903, Juan Serrallés installed the first continuous still on the island of Puerto Rico.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 06-26-2007, 11:41 PM   #1
angelsword

Default Comparisons

I thought it might be fun to try a series of comparisons and ask others to do the same. Any 2 rums head to head. What do you get?

Later tonight I'll do Zaya 12 vs. Flor 21.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:07 AM   #2
Scottes

I love comparisons, and have done a few on my site. I think it's a great way to learn the differences and open up the tastes between 2 or more rums, since tastes from one might open up hints in another.

Anyway, I've been struggling with Zacapa 23 versus Zaya since last Saturday. They're both very similar, and two of us could not pick a winner. I'm actually trying again, with a more concentrated effort, trying each individually and I'll follow that up with another comparison side-by-side.

Beyond that, I like to compare a couple/few of the same style - I recently compared Havana Club Anejo Blanco to Ron Matusalem Platino to Bacardi Superior. I'd like to do the same with some Jamaican golds - even if I have to line up all the Appletons since I can't find any other Jamaican Golds.

And I have a love of tiki drinks, and the recipes often call for rum by island - Puerto Rican White or Barbados Gold and such. So I'd like to sit a number of "tiki rums" together and compare the tastes.

So please, compare away! If you can, I'd love to hear about El Dorado versus Lemon Hart demeraras. I can't find El Dorado yet, but I'm intrigued with demeraras....
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #3
angelsword

Zaya 12 vs. Flor 21

Color:
Zaya is a shade darker. It is also cloudier with hints of green in the color.
Flor is clear dark golden amber. Fast legs!
Aroma:
Flor has a bigger nose. Plumeria flowers and banana, mildly spicey.
Zaya carries wifts of caramel and vanilla, very soft oak.
Taste:
Flor - Balanced across the tongue. A dry, ancient oak with fruit and flowers intertwining in the branches. Pleasantly herbal light tannic astringancy in the linger.
Zaya - Powerful sweetness, vanilla, and caramel. Hints of chocolate. Long vanilla finish.

Overall I have to go with Flor.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Hank Koestner

Post Comparison

There is no need for me to add more, as both of you have hit the nail on the head. I would choose one or the other depending upon my mood, but if forced to choose, I would take the Flor 21. One thing I did notice about the Zaya is the creamy texture in the mouth.

Also, when checking color, it is my understanding that the green rim at the edge of the rum indicates age in wood, as does the hint of green in the color. Most aged rums have a green rim, but I have seen great variations in the color, and thickness of the green rim.

Last edited by Hank Koestner; 06-28-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2007, 03:35 PM   #5
angelsword

Default Sea Wynde vs. Plantation Grande Reserve

Sea Wynde vs. Plantation Grande Reserve

I thought that these two were close enough in general category to warrant a comparison.

Color: These are quite similar in medium to dark gold shading. GR is a tone redder and darker. Legs are better on the GR.

Nose:
SW has more aroma: pungent, slightly sour, dirty socks, lemons. I can see where the imagery of sea breeze might be used to describe this smell. But there is some old seaweed and rotting shrimp in there too.

GR has more slight alcohol burn even though it is a lower proof of 40% (vs 46% of the SW). Aromas of banana and flowers.

Taste:
SW - Dry, mildly bitter, unsweetened vanilla, hint of salt, overall sourness. Spikey on the tongue. I found it interesting and not disagreable but my tasting partner made a gagging noise and poured his out.

GR Slight sweetness, softly complex. Taste fits the aroma. Broad and smooth across the tongue. Oak is in the background. More gentle than the SW... in a good way. Near the top of my gold rums! I may have to keep this on hand.

Plantation GR is the winner.

Last edited by angelsword; 06-30-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:19 AM   #6
Dood

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelsword View Post

I thought that these two were close enough in general category to warrant a comparison.

Color: These are quite similar in medium to dark gold shading. GR is a tone redder and darker. Legs are better on the GR.

Nose:
SW has more aroma: pungent, slightly sour, dirty socks, lemons. I can see where the imagery of sea breeze might be used to describe this smell. But there is some old seaweed and rotting shrimp in there too.

GR has more slight alcohol burn even though it is a lower proof of 40% (vs 46% of the SW). Aromas of banana and flowers.

Taste:
SW - Dry, mildly bitter, unsweetened vanilla, hint of salt, overall sourness. Spikey on the tongue. I found it interesting and not disagreable but my tasting partner made a gagging noise and poured his out.

GR Slight sweetness, softly complex. Taste fits the aroma. Broad and smooth across the tongue. Oak is in the background. More gentle than the SW... in a good way. Near the top of my gold rums! I may have to keep this on hand.

Plantation GR is the winner.
Wow, your description of SW is PERFECT. To be honest, I'm with your tasting partner...I am not a fan of the Wynde.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #7
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottes View Post
Beyond that, I like to compare a couple/few of the same style - I recently compared Havana Club Anejo Blanco to Ron Matusalem Platino to Bacardi Superior. I'd like to do the same with some Jamaican golds - even if I have to line up all the Appletons since I can't find any other Jamaican Golds.

And I have a love of tiki drinks, and the recipes often call for rum by island - Puerto Rican White or Barbados Gold and such. So I'd like to sit a number of "tiki rums" together and compare the tastes.

So please, compare away! If you can, I'd love to hear about El Dorado versus Lemon Hart demeraras. I can't find El Dorado yet, but I'm intrigued with demeraras....
I have been hoping that Scottes, Hank, and Dood would post some of their own comparisons. I see "I'd like to do" in Scottes' post. We would like for you to do too.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:43 PM   #8
Hank Koestner

Default Brugal Extrea Viejo/ Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva

I am going to compare these two tonight. More to come!
Old 07-04-2007, 08:57 PM   #9
Scottes

Quote:
I have been hoping that Scottes, Hank, and Dood would post some of their own comparisons. I see "I'd like to do" in Scottes' post. We would like for you to do too.
Well, I did recently post a "comparison" of 5 white rums on my blog.
http://scottesrum.com/tag/comparisons/5-white-rums/
It was not really meant to be a comparison, but more of an exploration of the 5. Yet I screwed up a bit, as you'll see if you read it.

A couple weeks ago a friend and I compared Ron Zacapa 23 and Zaya. We did it again last Saturday. Within the last week I then reviewed each independently and last night I tried to give my thoughts about a comparison of them.

Zaya: http://scottesrum.com/2007/07/03/zaya-gran-reserva/
Zacapa: http://scottesrum.com/2007/06/26/ron...o-23-year-old/
Compared: http://scottesrum.com/2007/07/03/ron...-gran-reserva/

And some time ago I compared St. James Ambre vs their Hors D'Age:
http://scottesrum.com/tag/comparison...-vs-hors-dage/

As for others, I'm working on building up the inventory in order to make some sense of the comparisons. I have only 2 white Puerto Ricans, and 2 gold. I'd like a 3rd of each before a decent comparison can be made. I'm in a worse situation with Jamaica and Barbados rums, as well as most others. Heck, at this time I can't even compare a PR to a Jamaican to a Barbados, since I don't have a decent PR rum.

And to go on, I have only 2 cachacas, 1 unaged agricole, 3 aged agricoles but only 2 brands, 1 Martinique non-agricole, 0 Guadelope and on and on and on. I just don't feel that a single unaged agricole will really teach me what agricole tastes like. Same for cachaca, and as a result I hardly feel qualified to compare an agricole to a cachaca. What if my lack of knowledge leads me to grab a crap cachaca and compare it to a top-notch agricole? Is that a fair comparison?

I guess that I have different goals than some others. I like many different sipping rums but I don't find much sense in comparing wildly different rums at this time. I'm trying to learn more about rum styles, not just the taste of specific ones, so I'm curious about that which makes a demerara taste like a demerara, and with a single one in my inventory I will only discover what Lemon Hart Demerara tastes like. So I will wait until I get an El Dorado before I taste them, and hopefully that will give me a better idea of what makes a demerara taste like it does. And that goes for cachaca, and agricole, and so on.

So, when I acquire rums that better match each other for *some* reason, then I'll compare them. And I am actively - voraciously - working on rounding out my rums for such comparisons. I have a strong interest in Tiki drinks and have always been curious about why Don Beach and Trader Vic chose the rums they did. What tastes did each rum style have that made them choose a PR rum over a Jamaican for a particular drink? So my current goals are to learn about "tiki rums" and compare a few of each to learn a bit more about why they were chosen.

However, if you take a look at my list of rums (http://scottesrum.com/my-lists-of-rums/) and would like to know how 2 of them compare, please ask. I don't think you'll need to twist my arm to entice me to sip a couple of rums and talk about them. :-)

Last edited by Scottes; 07-04-2007 at 09:09 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:06 PM   #10
Scottes

Quote:
Very nice review. It makes me want a bottle of the Plantation GR, and makes it even more apparent that I probably won't like the Sea Wynde. I'll pass on the SW, but the PGR goes on my list to get.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums