MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

90 years ago in 1929, Destilerias Unidas S.A.C. was established in Peru.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Press Releases
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Press Releases

Press Releases from Producers

Old 09-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #1
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default Mount Gay Rum bottles

New packaging for Mount Gay Rums. If you've been following Mount Gay's Extra Old and 1703 you've seen the new bottle design. Now Remy is adapting that bottle for their whole line of rums.

I'm all in favor of progress, but considering that their are a lot of boat owners who have designed the liquor racks in their yachts to accommodate the old round bottle in the 750 or liter size, at great expense, this might be a mistake. The new bottle won't fit in the old space on these boats.

Considering that it was boat owners and crew who were at the core of Mount Gay's marketing focus for many years there is going to be a lot of talk about this change in bottle shape since it isn't backward compatible.

I hope this doesn't alienate a lot of old time Mount Gay drinkers, now there are more reasons to try Flor de Caña and other rums that will fit in that expensive teak bottle rack on your yacht.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:09 AM   #2
Jason

I'm no sailor... And I've never built a teak rum rack... But I'm going to inject my opinion into this thread nonetheless

I think that having an expectation of a bottle never changing is not very realistic. Sure it might not happen often, but it does happen from time to time and everyone knows that. I should think that if you plan to have a rum rack long term that you can almost be guaranteed to have this happen from time to time.

I think that this is where you can take things to the next level. So you purpose built a specific entry in your teak rum rack for a specific bottle. I say don't change that. I say that spot forever holds the round bottle of MGXO that is was built for. I say it's time to build a new shelf with the new MGXO. I say let the rack become a history of rum showcasing old and new alike. I say let the rack consume every available space on the walls of your cabin forever paying homage to the bottles of yore that stood by us in times of strife and in times of bliss!

I say MGXO is dead. Long live MGXO!

Ok, I'm done now.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:54 AM   #3
Mistahunter

What's more important...the rum rack or the rum? Why the hell do you put rum on a rack anyway? Rum is for drinkin'....not displayin'!!! Especially MG Eclipse and Silver Eclipse.

I like the the new look...don't like the new prices of MG. Also, I don't like the fact that the MG Sugar Cane didn't make the cut. It will be missed.

Flor de Cana can't carry Mount Gay's jock strap!!!! (to quote the Easton Assassin - Larry Holmes).
Mistahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 10:42 AM   #4
RonJames

i sympathesize with Ed on this one. Boats crash around a ton, and non-glass stuff breaks...so imagine bottles. Besides...new bottles....same product...possible price increase for same stuff. MG has made there name as THE rum if you sail, and alienating existing customers can have negative effects. Besides...Im an old fart and don't like to see things change, makes me think im getting older
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #5
TheRumelier

I got to see the new bottles first hand on my last visit to Mt.Gay earlier this year. The bottles look great and bring together the whole portfolio of rums. But like stated will cause problems for many a boat owner.
I think we may see some more new rums from them in the near future aswell, stay tuned!!!
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #6
gordonbeall

May I suggest holding onto the old bottle and pouring the new bottle into it.. then rack it, and recycle the empty. (BTW I like the old bottles better just from a purely personal aesthetic.)
gordonbeall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #7
BaltRumFan

To put this in perspective I do not even own a boat, LOL. I would love to be concerned about the shape of a bottle impacting my ability to safely carry it on the open seas.

For the time being my pantry will do and there is plenty of room for all bottle shapes
BaltRumFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:17 PM   #8
Demomonkey

"May I suggest holding onto the old bottle and pouring the new bottle into it.. then rack it, and recycle the empty."

All truly excellent ideas have an elegant simplicity that makes you go "Now why didn't I think of that?"
Demomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:00 PM   #9
gordonbeall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demomonkey View Post
"May I suggest holding onto the old bottle and pouring the new bottle into it.. then rack it, and recycle the empty."

All truly excellent ideas have an elegant simplicity that makes you go "Now why didn't I think of that?"
The result of the influence that one good 'Ti Punch has on the brain
gordonbeall is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Press Releases