MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

15 years ago in 2004, Tuthilltown Distillers was established in Gardiner, New York.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Press Releases
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Press Releases

Press Releases from Producers

Old 01-21-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
ManuelaSavona

Default Plantation Rums

Hi Ed -- just wanted to give you and your forum readers some info on Plantation Rums, one of the brands from France-based spirits company Cognac Ferrand. Plantation Rums come from Barbados, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Panama and Trinidad. Each rum in the Plantation Rum Collection is made according to its country’s traditional technique and expresses the rum characteristics and flavor of its country of origin. While the rums are born in the traditional fashion, produced in rum distilleries and aged in barrels in the tropical sun, they undergo a unique aging process not used by any other rum producer in the industry - the Cognac Ferrand Cellar Master plucks the rums from their country of origin at just the right moment and brings them back to the Ferrand estate in Cognac, France where they are refined for several more months in small French oak Ferrand barrels. When they're just right, they're bottled and shipped to the U.S. (and all over Europe). Plantation Rum Barbados 5 Year Old Reserve and Plantation Rum Barbados 20th Anniversary are those you will most likely see on your retailer's shelf plus the Vintages are very different and unique and if your retailer carries the others, you can ask them to bring these in too -- Trinidad Vintage 2000, Jamaica 2000. Hope this helps!!
ManuelaSavona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #2
Rum Runner

Welcome Manuela. We are happy you have joined the forums and have given some insights into the the Plantation Rum line. When you have the chance, please pop over to the Introductions forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManuelaSavona View Post
Hi Ed -- just wanted to give you and your forum readers some info on Plantation Rums, one of the brands from France-based spirits company Cognac Ferrand. Plantation Rums come from Barbados, Grenada, Guyana, Jamaica, Nicaragua, Panama and Trinidad. Each rum in the Plantation Rum Collection is made according to its country’s traditional technique and expresses the rum characteristics and flavor of its country of origin. While the rums are born in the traditional fashion, produced in rum distilleries and aged in barrels in the tropical sun, they undergo a unique aging process not used by any other rum producer in the industry - the Cognac Ferrand Cellar Master plucks the rums from their country of origin at just the right moment and brings them back to the Ferrand estate in Cognac, France where they are refined for several more months in small French oak Ferrand barrels. When they're just right, they're bottled and shipped to the U.S. (and all over Europe). Plantation Rum Barbados 5 Year Old Reserve and Plantation Rum Barbados 20th Anniversary are those you will most likely see on your retailer's shelf plus the Vintages are very different and unique and if your retailer carries the others, you can ask them to bring these in too -- Trinidad Vintage 2000, Jamaica 2000. Hope this helps!!
Old 01-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

The above is the company press release. I've asked for more information but to date haven't received it. Among the things I've asked for are how long these rums were aged in the Caribbean, how long they were aged in France and in what kind of barrels.

I'm also trying to get other information that isn't readily available on the websites that reprint press releases.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
RumClub

Send a message via Skype™ to RumClub

Hi Ed,
try to ask to E&A Scheer guys... I think they know very well the path of these rums..
----------------------
Cogito ergo Rum
RumClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #5
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley

I got to meet with Guillaume Lamy, the VP for North America for Cognac Ferrand, USA Inc. Plantation Rums are imported to the U.S. by them, but they are also the owners of the label.

Plantation Rums get aged in Pierre Ferrand Cognac barrels. The rums are shipped to France for this as well as bottling.

I got to try the following:

Plantation Grand Reserve 5-yr Barbados Rum

Plantation 20th Anniversary Extra Old Rum (a blend of 12-20 year-old rums, finished for 1 year in cognac barrels)

Plantation Old Reserve 2000 Trinidad

Plantation Old Reserve 2000 Barbados

Plantation Old Reserve 2000 Jamaica

All had their own personalities, but all were worth drinking. The Old Reserves really are 10 years old and retail here for around $44.99/bottle.

I liked all of them and will offer them at my store.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Press Releases