MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

89 years ago in 1930, the Barceló rum company was established in the Dominican Republic.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
Gray

Default Tasting notes

There are a number of posts regarding rum tastings and how to host them, or how they should progress... and there are many posts with individual's tasting notes on various rums... but I was wondering if any of you folks who do take notes on what you're drinking would mind sharing the method (if any) you have for recording those notes. If there is a post like this already I apologize, I tried to do a good search of the forums before writing this.

I know there's a great deal written on wine tasting, but I haven't bothered taking notes on wines since I left school. And I don't know how that compares to keeping records on liquor tastings. Do you (personally or generically speaking) use similar techniques in your tasting and quality identifications?

I'm just curious, as I figured I should start keeping better records of the rums I'm drinking. Especially the more expensive ones or ones that are otherwise in limited availability to me

Any input is appreciated, even if the input is just "Remember which ones you liked."

Cheers!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 AM   #2
forrest

The best advice is "remember what you like", but as a rule of thumb, you can break it down into smaller groupings of qualification (or note taking)...i.e:

Appearance: This could be anything from the packaging to the color of the spirit/ legs / teardrops/ horizon. . .

Nose/Aroma: You snoz is more powerful than your taste buds! The difficult part is connecting you experience to the library you have already accumulated. . .i think the key is reference-- if you 'think' it smells like cinnamon, then smell some cinnamon and check... it reminds me of Kale--- check--- What can it hurt? At least you will know if you were wrong, and then you can trust that sense perception over another. Frankly, this is what guides your tasting.

Palate weight: is it oily? Heavy? Layered? Light? Smooth? How would i know--- you are drinking it! This is usually mixed into flavors/ taste but. . .

Flavor / Taste: Front palate is the first thing you taste. Mid-palate is the 'most stand out transitional occurrence' from the 'front palate' . . ; Back palate is the transitory culmination of 'active flavor distinction' . . . Usually it breaks into Front/ mid--- mid/ Back--- but sometimes you need all 3 to describe what you are experiencing.

Finish: This is the part that ends it. . . after the Back palate (and perhaps including it---), crossing into your throat, and then down, , , that is the finish (usually a restatement of the what has been previously experienced-- yet harmonized. . ). What happens here is more magical (like the initial taste, but without as much prejudice)-- it is frightening quality that shows something new in the finish and it should immediately be reevaluated! (j/k)..

Aftertaste: This is when you exhale after tasting. . . and suddenly you taste pineapple, or banana, or agave nectar.... whatever-- the clarity and focus residuary impact that lingers on exhale.. . .

These are some tips--- sorry for rambling.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:05 AM   #3
Gray

Hey forrest, thanks for that. By your advice I was on pretty much the right track then. I was worried I was totally forgetting something. Do you revisit your notes often? What about comparing notes to others. I know in school my flavor and nose comparisons were often a little more... strange and personal, than my fellow tasters... comparisons to the scent of library books or the taste of dust. Maybe by senses are skewed

Also, no worries about rambling. I'm quite the rambler myself, and I end up apologizing for it also
Old 03-09-2009, 06:56 AM   #4
rumdog007

forrest has the best memory for taste that I have ever encountered. His recall for even the most subtle nuance of a spirit is truly astounding. If he revisits his notes, I believe them to be those notes which are locked in his head! My hat is always off to him.

rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #5
RonJames

Forrest got it on the head. Im gonna add some links to rum reviews

http://www.rndrumreviews.com
http://www.refinedvices.com
along with the reviews under the country link on this site

I'll just add that initially I put my nose a couple inches away from the side of the glass to see if there are any strong scents then take a look. I'll also check for clarity or murkiness and swirl the rum around to get an idea of the viscosity. I haven't been keeping track put I can usually bring back one overlying scent in the rums I've had.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray View Post
Do you revisit your notes often? What about comparing notes to others.
Well i check my mental notes very often, and really i dont write things down unless i am doing a 'write-up/review' then i am checking it for writing/ communication problems more than notes...i don't recommend this to people, i think everyone should write stuff down (it is an amazing mnemonic device)-- but for me, i have some sort of block (that frankly i need to get over) about the physical act of writing (or even typing).

Quote:
I know in school my flavor and nose comparisons were often a little more... strange and personal, than my fellow tasters... comparisons to the scent of library books or the taste of dust. Maybe by senses are skewed
Well Gray. . . DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE! You taste what you taste. There is only one valid opinion when determining preference-- YOURS. Now when you are attempting to determine quality there are a variety of factors that you can introduce to the equation (and you should).

i taste regularly with others and they use descriptors that seem strange often . . . So i try to 'find out' what they 'mean' with their descriptors. It usually takes 6 or 7 tastings (and a concerted effort on my part) to break the 'code' (which always pleases me immensely!).
Of course they uses different 'terms' to describe-- they are different people (as are you).
Tell me when you taste a dusty book, and i will try to find it, i will tell about the loquat in the mid-palate of such and such. We inform each other. Which is an answer to the second part of the question : Yes i read anything i can -- not to qualify something, but rathe to correlate; When Count says cloud berry, i think cola berry... etc. etc.
[ sometimes after a bit of correlation, i will use reviews as recommendations, also.. i.e. if so and so said such and such i have agreed with them 98% of the time so i am going to jump on it!]

Quote:
Also, no worries about rambling. I'm quite the rambler myself, and I end up apologizing for it also
Looks like i am sorry again.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #7
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumdog007 View Post
forrest has the best memory for taste that I have ever encountered.
Thank you.

rumdog007 is one of the nicest people i have ever had the pleasure of meeting. . . and i have have met a lot of people!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #8
TheRumelier

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrest View Post
Thank you.

rumdog007 is one of the nicest people i have ever had the pleasure of meeting. . . and i have have met a lot of people!
I haven't met Wally in person yet, but I look forward to that day very much. I feel like I know him well. He has helped expand my rum collection greatly, I probably have to thank Forest indirectly for this aswell.
I also look forward to a ride in the shopping trolley one day!!
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
rumdog007

Golly, gee! You guys are the best, too.

The Rumelier has given me a bottle for my collection for every one which I have sent his way. And, yes, forrest has been my partner in crime with these swaps. I'm just trying to do my part to promote the "All is good" philosophy of all MOR'ers, worldwide.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:42 PM   #10
Gray

Thanks for all the input guys.
I've been trying to compare my notes with the ones on various websites, I think I'll need to revisit my notes again and try to find some of the things mentioned. I also need to expand my flavor reference, I don't even know what a cloudberry tastes like

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions