MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

116 years ago in 1903, In 1903, the Serralles family installed the first continuous rum still in Puerto Rico.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rhum Agricole

Fresh sugar cane juice rhum from the French islands.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:00 PM   #11
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I have not heard anything from CC Spirits, the importer, or Christine on the questions posed in the previous posts. The claim that Chauffe Coeur Martinique Rhum Agricole is indeed AOC rhum agricole from Martinique is being investigated by CODERUM, the governing body of the Martinique Rhum Distillers. In France it would be illegal to claim Martinique Rhum Agricole on a label if it wasn't AOC rhum agricole from Martinique, but these rums are only sold in the US.

I have never questioned the quality of these products and hope to learn why Chauffe Coeur doesn't use the AOC designation if in fact they are AOC rhum from Martinique instead of the Appellation Rhum Controlle, a control body that seems to exist only on the labels of these rhums.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 10:22 PM   #12
Rum Runner

Your points are well taken Matusalem. I couldn't agree more, nor have said it better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matusalem View Post
I'm not taking sides here but think both of you could observe some things (which you likely have but aren't necessarily saying so).

Last edited by Rum Runner; 12-20-2007 at 08:16 AM.
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:32 AM   #13
Mark

Default Chauffe Coeur Rhum Vieux

Under the lamp this rhum exhibits a glorious brandy-like appearance, flawless clarity. Upon uncorking a honeyed/sherry aroma wafts up from my copita planting a smile on my kisser. Additional air contact stimulates other layers of aroma; fruitcake, cane and almond joy candy. Oh baby. The palate entry is grassy, rich and long; at midpalate the cocoa sensation is soon overtaken by honey and butter cream. The finish is bitter-sweet and opulent. A world-class rhum that I'd be happy to serve to anyone at anytime. Bravo for another distinguished spirit from the cellars of the brothers Martayrol.

Frankly Ed I'm bewildered, with all the back and forth, that you have yet to try Christine's outstanding line of rhums.
Or have you?
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:55 AM   #14
Matusalem

I've tried two, I'd be quite surprised if Ed hasn't tried any of the product. The best point that Ed made was that the quality was NOT in question. I bought a bottle reasonably priced via BevMo quite a ways back.

Speaking of back and forth...I think we get the picture as far as your position on the product as well as your friendship with Christine. At the same time it would be nice if someone would address the simple question Ed posed. I'll be 100% honest with you. As a long time consumer, based on the way this is going, I'm not sure what to make of this discussion in terms of my commitment to additional bottles.

Imagine if you were trying to sell me a new car and I kept asking you why there was no estimated mileage information and you kept responding to my inquiry by reassuring me about the leather interior, the strength of the motor, the sound system and GPS that the vehicle came mounted with etc. After a period of time, I'd be forced to draw my own conclusion and assume that the Hummer you were trying to sell me must not have good mileage standards. Surely you can see that's where this discussion is going - or no?

In case it was lost in the shuffle here's the question quoted once again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
As a number of people have asked me, why do Chauffe Coeur rums claim the Appellation Rhum Controllee and not the AOC mark used by the rhum agricole distillers on Martinique. I have been unable to find anything about the Appellation Rhum Controllee.
Matusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:53 AM   #15
Mark

I can't imagine trying to sell you anything.
Let's wait and let Ed speak for himself.
Ok the quality is not in question but you will not purchase another bottle because it's label is misleading?
What did you think about the taste? Does it compare favorably to you to similar offerings from La Favorite and Neisson?
If the label is repaired would you recommend this rum to a friend?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:25 AM   #16
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
An e-mail to Christine will result in all legal documents being provided for the suspicious consumer. There are strict French laws regarding AOC's and all doubt should be removed.
Christine has not made her email available and no documents have shown up here to support the AOC claim.

AOC regulations are indeed very strict. A visit to the INAO (AOC's parent body) website reveals that "Apellation Rhum Controlee" does not exist. Martayrols use of this term and "Martinique Agricole" is not only misleading, but in fact unlawful.

Martinique fought long and hard to obtain their AOC, and has every right to see it defended.

Why the good brothers at Martayrol have choosen to "tart up" their rum label with mis-leading and unlawful marketing wordplay instead of letting the quality of the product speak for itself is a mystery to me.

Last edited by Rum Runner; 12-21-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 11:38 AM   #17
Mark

It's a mystery to me as well.
Christine has sent and disclosed all her documentation to Ed, privately.
Let's wait and see if anything unlawful has indeed been perpetrated.
In the meantime have you tried the rhum?
What do you think about it's taste?
Does it compare favorably to you to similar offerings from La Favorite and Neisson?
If the label is repaired would you recommend this rhum to a friend?
Old 12-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #18
Mark

P.S. If you're in the mood e-mail Christine and make your point and ask your questions.
ccspirits@aol.com
Old 12-21-2007, 11:56 AM   #19
Rum Runner

Quote:
It's a mystery to me as well.
Christine has sent and disclosed all her documentation to Ed, privately.
Let's wait and see if anything unlawful has indeed been perpetrated.
In the meantime have you tried the rhum?
What do you think about it's taste?
Does it compare favorably to you to similar offerings from La Favorite and Neisson?
If the label is repaired would you recommend this rhum to a friend?
Sadly, the rum is not sold here in Puerto Rico and I have not found an internet source who would ship it here. I have never questioned the quality of the product, only its' labeling and provenance as it regards to the defense of AOC Martinique Rhum Agricole.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:01 PM   #20
Rum Runner

Quote:
P.S. If you're in the mood e-mail Christine and make your point and ask your questions.
ccspirits@aol.com
Thanks for her email...I shall drop her a line. By the way, I notice that Martayrol have dropped the Martinique Agricole rums from their website.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rhum Agricole