MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

11 years ago in 2009, Desert Diamond Distillery was established in Kingman, Arizona.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 01-14-2008, 03:09 PM   #1
mammel

Default Vintage rums

Does anyone have any advice on the best way to find some rare or old products that may not be readily available. Is there a resource where products of this nature may be acquired? Does anyone know of any stores (online or otherwise) or auction places that sell this kind of thing. Perhaps is there a network of affcianados who trade and sell amonst themselves.

I am not looking anything specific. I am always interested in something rare or off the beaten track. I dont need a $1000 bottle per say, but something unique or uncommon would be of interest. Does anyone have any insight?

Cheers
mammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 03:12 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to the forums. If there are hard to find rums, there is a very good chance that you'll hear about them here.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:24 PM   #3
Tiare

Maybe this link could be of interest:

http://www.finestandrarest.com/rum.html

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Recently posted that on Refined Vices. Didn't post it here because they seem to be all sold out. I managed to find a 25 year old J W&N Jamaica rum for sale some time ago but that sale has ended (wonder if paulipbartender got it...) Good bet is googling occasionally as sales do appear and disappear on different websites selling stuff.

Whisky Exchange is selling this vintage rum from the 60s. I'd buy that if I had the money. They occasionally have some other rare bottlings as well.
Enmore 1975.
Jamaican Rum 1941.
La Mauny 1979.

Last edited by Count Silvio; 01-14-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

I didn't get the 25 year old Jamaican but our good chum Rich Woods from the London Floridita did and was kind enough to crack it open. A fine spirit it was too.......

Raj and Sukhinder, the 2 guys who rum Speciality Drinks (Whisky Exchange) in the UK www.specialitydrinks.com are excellent for finding rare bottles.

They ship most places and pick up loads of individual rare bottles like the ones above - their offices are a treasure trove

Last edited by Paulipbartender; 01-19-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Paulipbartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #6
mammel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulipbartender View Post
I didn't get the 25 year old Jamaican but our good chum Rich Woods from the London Floridita did and was kind enough to crack it open. A fine spirit it was too.......

Raj and Sukhinder, the 2 guys who rum Speciality Drinks (Whisky Exchange) in the UK www.specialitydrinks.com are excellent for finding rare bottles.

They ship most places and pick up loads of individual rare bottles like the ones above - they're offices are a treasure trove
So the whiskeu exchange is a real physical store (not just online)? Can you tell me where they are located? Do you have an address and City? Not that I will be heading over right now, but I will keep a record of it. I am sure I can talk my wife into a weeks holidays in London.
mammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 09:43 PM   #7
Berbician

"Whisky Exchange" is just behind Southwark Cathedral on the south bank of the River Thames.

You will find even larger selections of rum in two shops in Old Compton Street in Soho. One is called "Gerry's" - I can't remember the name of the other one, but it's easy to find.

Also, well off the beaten track but well worth a visit is "Tottenham Wines" in West Green Road, London N15 - the area is a bit "iffy" but prices are on the low side.
Berbician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #8
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

That would be the Vintage House at 42 old Compton street.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammel View Post
So the whiskey exchange is a real physical store (not just online)? Can you tell me where they are located? Do you have an address and City? Not that I will be heading over right now, but I will keep a record of it. I am sure I can talk my wife into a weeks holidays in London.
The Whisky Exchange is the internet portal for Speciality Drinks. They are a drinks wholesaler, distributor and brand owners - their offices and warehouse in Park Royal aren't open to the public but they are an absolute wonder to behold. So much booze and so much to delight the palette and mind. As Berbician rightly says, they have a concession type store within Vinopolis, the wine education centre, in London Bridge which carries a fraction of their range but also displays some rarities like the 1920's Bacardi's.

Gerrys is the retail treasure trove though. Anyone with even a passing interest in spirits can't fail to be excited by their selection - it's amazing!
Old 01-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #10
LadyP

Default aged rum /vintage ?

Hi ,

I am trying to find information on some Alfred Lamb's Reserve 8 year old rum,
which was released either 1986 or 1987.

Am in possession of said rum and wondered if it is still readily available, or if not
what it may be worth.

Any help would be appreciated.

Lady P.
LadyP is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions