MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

15 years ago in 2004, Sagatiba Brasil SA was established in Brazil.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 AM   #1
Recluse

Lightbulb Help me with my next purchase!

So far my forays into the world of Fine Rum have led me to:
  • Ron Zacapa 23
  • El Dorado 12
  • Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
  • Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva

I've gotten great recommendations for Vizcaya VXOP from fellow New Jersey-ite and rum lover Edoc, but have recently become interested in the Flor de Cana 12 year based on Arctic Wolf's amazing 97 point rating.

Both are available locally for about the same price (~$32/750mL)

I am sure I will eventually procure BOTH, but which do you think I should start with? Looking mainly for another good sipping rum.

For reference to my tastes, in my list above, I think Ron Zacapa is my favorite, followed VERY CLOSELY by ED 12 which is followed EVEN MORE CLOSELY by the Diplomatico.

I find the Matusalem almost unsippable, as I have posted previously but great for mixing.

In truth, I am not exactly sure WHY I need yet another Rum when any of these three are completely satisfying, but I am sure this is not an uncommon conundRUM around here!

Last edited by Recluse; 07-09-2010 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Created list in preference order
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:10 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

These are two very different rums. Flor de Ca ña rums are blends of several years but rather, as in the case of the 12 year old, is all 12 year old rum aged in oak from the same distillation year. Vizcaya is a blend of several rums with more of what I taste as a cinnamon note.
The Flor de Ca ña is a bit drier and not quite as sweet as the Vizcaya but I'm sure you'll enjoy both of them for different reasons. I never seem to want to drink the same rum every day.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:25 PM   #3
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley

If you think that El Dorado 12 is good (as I do), then step up to the 15-yr. You'll be glad that you did

Try some Cruzan Single Barrel, Appleton 12-yr, Chairman's Reserve... there are just so many wonderful bottlings on the market right now
Old 07-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #4
Recluse

Default So many Rums, so little shelf space ;)

Yes, these are on my list. Esp. the El Dorado 15 and the Appleton 12 year. From what I have heard from others, the Cruzan Single Barrel may not agree with my palate which craves a little more sweetness from a rum.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #5
Patapouf

I can't argue with all these suggestions. If Zacapa is your current favorite I'm sure you'll find Vizcaya to your tastes since it is on the sweet side. Like Ed mentionned, and as you mentionned with Arctic's review, Flor de Cana is also great! You can't go wrong!

Patapouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #6
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
I've gotten great recommendations for Vizcaya VXOP from fellow New Jersey-ite and rum lover Edoc, but have recently become interested in the Flor de Cana 12 year based on Arctic Wolf's amazing 97 point rating.
A while ago I opened another bottle of the Flor De Cana 12 just to see if I was not being a little over zealous in my praise. I had a bottles of Zacapa 23, Vizcaya, Appleton 21 and Zafra 21 open already. Well that FDC 12 is long gone as I was unable to keep my hands off of it. The other four are dwindling at the regular pace. To me that is a strong indication that I scored the FDC 12 properly. It just seems to be the perfect bottle of rum for my palate.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:53 PM   #7
Edoc

You've heard my suggestions, but I think that if you decide to veer away from drier rums (I'd consider Cruzan Single Barrel, FdC 12 and Appleton in that category), here are some good choices:

Pampero Anniversario
Santa Teresa 1796
Zaya
Angostura 1919
Pyrat XO (this is wonderful, but too sweet for my tastes)
Edoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:56 AM   #8
Sylbaris

Default Brand Ambassador for Vizcaya VXOP

Ric Guiliano founder & president of Vizcaya Rum has extended me the privilege of being the official Vizcaya Brand Ambassador for the State of CT. As such, I look forward to expanding the market and consumer awareness beyond the Nutmeg State. If any of you can not get the rum in your neck of the woods, please post your dilemma and I will work to help make it happen.
Vizcaya for all its complexity is truly one of the most accessible cane spirits on the planet as it can reward both male and female palates with equal aplomb.
Sylbaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:02 PM   #9
jjwest

Of the rums you mention (if we take out the Matusalem) the outlier is the El Dorado, so you seem to gravitate to the sweeter, smoother rums.

The surer bet for you, based on this, would be Zaya and Pyrat XO. Both are superior smooth rums on the sweeter side. Zaya with its vanilla notes and the Pyrat with it's apricot/orange flavors. If you can get it, the Atlantico Private Cask - I think you will find it to be between the flavor qualities of the Z23 and the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva.

If you want to pull towards the El Dorado side of the isle, try the ED 15. Everything you enjoy about the 12 but clearly more refined. Other interesting choices would be the Barrelito 3 star and the Mount Gay XO.

But...
if you really want to try something wonderful and based on your preference I am sure you will especially enjoy - take advantage of Shoppers Vineyards stellar deal on the Zacapa XO. Once only gotten for prices north of $110 if someone would bring it home from a trip outside the country, SV carries this on special for only $49.99 If you really enjoy Z23 and DRE I think the Zacapa XO will amaze you. I think anyone who enjoys a silky smooth (but somewhat sweet) sipper ought to have had at least one bottle of ZXO.
jjwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 12:03 PM   #10
Recluse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoc View Post
You've heard my suggestions, but I think that if you decide to veer away from drier rums (I'd consider Cruzan Single Barrel, FdC 12 and Appleton in that category), here are some good choices:

Pampero Anniversario
Santa Teresa 1796
Zaya
Angostura 1919
Pyrat XO (this is wonderful, but too sweet for my tastes)
Thanks.. The Pampero and Santa Teresa are on my list from our earlier conversations..but I keep getting side-tracked when I see a 'good' rum at a low price. I fear that Pyrat XO will be too sweet (and a little too orange-liqueur-y) for my tastes as well, but many folks do seem to rave about it.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions