MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

37 years ago in 1982, St George Spirits was established in Alamda, California.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 08-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #1
bluewave6

Default Most Disappointing Purchase?

What was your most disappointing purchase, you know the rum you could not wait to try and when you finanly bought a bottle, thought to yourself "man, what a let down"?

Mine would have to be the bottle of the new Zaya Trinidad version and Pampero Anejo (not the anniversario, I love that one). I was quite anxious to try the new Zaya and finanly decided to plunk down the $40 for a bottle. I got home poped the cork and thought it was a $40 bottle of vanilla extract. The Pampero Anjo I bought while visiting relatives in Atlanta, I figured as good as the Anniversario is the Anejo had to be decent for $20, man was I wrong.

Last edited by bluewave6; 08-03-2009 at 09:33 PM.
bluewave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:03 PM   #2
Coastie Mike

Mine would have to be the Ron Zacapa Centenario 23 Anos. I was expecting something awesome! Turns out it wasn't the rum everyone gave great reviews about. They were giving reviews on the Ron Zacapa 23 in the palm covered bottle...Oh well, at least I have a quest to find the old one.
Coastie Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:34 AM   #3
martincate

RE: Zacapa palm bottle vs. new bottle. Sorry- it's the same rum. There has been no change to the rum. Ed and I confirmed that in Guatemala a few months ago. The confusing changes in the wording on the label are marketing directed moves, not the result in a change in the blend.
martincate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:50 AM   #4
stockdoct

Send a message via Yahoo to stockdoct

Definately for me, it was the El Dorado 15 year old. But its not a fault of the manufacturer, its just a matter of taste.

I don't like whisky, and enjoy rums that have no flavor reminiscent of whiskey such as Zacapa, Cruzan, Pampero and Oronoco. But I had heard SOOOO many raving about El Dorado, I had to order a bottle.

Pfffttt. Whisky, I tasted in my mouth. Major Disappointment.

But I know many people enjoy it, just as many people enjoy a bourbon that I simply don't understand. To each his own....
stockdoct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:07 AM   #5
Bluehammer

RON CENTENARIO ANEJO ESPECIAL - Thought the bottle looked good and I had not had rum from Costa Rica. I was not happy with the screw top with plastic diffuser. To me it seemed like a cheap plastic gimmick. The rum to me tasted very watered down. I only got the slightest hint of flavor. What I did get seemed dull and lacking complexity. I did not even find it to be a decent mixer for me.
Bluehammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 PM   #6
sailor22

I know all the below are typically favorites - that's why I was looking forward to them. They just don't fit with my taternator somehow. Doesn't make them bad - just not a good choice for me.

Pampero Anniversario, Vizcaya and Angostura 1919 are the three that were the most disappointing for me.
I thought the Pampero was way too sweet, sort of like Rum flavored pancake syrup.
The Viscaya tasted overly clove infused to the point that the Rum was completely overpowered.
The 1919 was just off, tasted like half Vanilla extract and half cleaning fluid. I suppose it could have been a bad bottle because no one who has tasted it can finish the pour.
sailor22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by martincate View Post
RE: Zacapa palm bottle vs. new bottle. Sorry- it's the same rum. There has been no change to the rum. Ed and I confirmed that in Guatemala a few months ago. The confusing changes in the wording on the label are marketing directed moves, not the result in a change in the blend.

Blending rum is a dynamic process. The aged rums available change over time as a result of production, demand and the fact that aged rums differ from barrel to barrel. Having said that tastes change as well.

I didn't even like beer when I was 12 years old, or maybe it was that swill my grandfather was drinking at the time. Now, I love beer, but only what I consider to be good beers, which is considered swill by the millions of people who continue to buy the other mass-produced stuff.

I have noticed a number of rums that seem to have gotten sweeter, some have probably had some sugar added to them. After seeing the process and the barrels used in the process, I'm convinced that the apparent sweetness of Zacapa is the result of charring the barrels up to three times during their useful life at the aging warehouse.

To read more about the process take a look here.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
rumdog007

Quote:
Originally Posted by martincate View Post
Oh, Martin, on your next visit to Orange County, look me up. I have new unopened bottles of the palm weave from the late 80's through 2002. I have done blind side by side tasting with the old and 3 different iterations of the newer bottles. If one goes in order, by 2's (an '88 with a '90, for instance), the changes are not discernible. But jump from the latest back to the first, it will become apparent. It's just a little sweeter, now.

When you open Smuggler's Cove, I'll tote you up some samples so that you can see I'm not crazy.

Do I believe that they are trying very hard to blend the same rum? Yes. BTW, I am really surprised that they CAN keep this rum's profile so close after so many years. Further, like you, I would call it the same rum.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 03:31 PM   #9
saltgrassbear

Thanks to this forum's members for their reviews, the rums purchased have all been a good experience. Some better than others. Everybody has their own taste preference.

SGB
saltgrassbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #10
leisure master

Havana Club 15yr.

Not because it's not very good - it is, but it is WAY overpriced.

I was very disappointed to pay more than $100 for a rum that I think is comparable to others priced at $65 or less.

I'm surprised by some of the rums being mentioned as disappointing - Z23, El Dorado 15 and Pampero Anniversario are among my favorites - I guess taste is a funny thing.

I would love to hear which rums you do like to drink if those are not up there for you.
leisure master is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions