MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

14 years ago in 2003, AGM Magic Alambic was established in Thailand.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum of the Month Discussion
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #1
mamajuana

Default Rum of the Month July 2014 - Ron Del Barrilito 3 Star Rum

I hope I'm not over stepping here but I've noticed this was not updated in a while. I have the reserves and collections to update this for years.

So My choice is: Ron Del Barrilito 3 Star Rum. AKA Ron Del Barrilito Tres Estrellas.

Back round:

"Ron del Barrilito 3 Star rum is produced in Bayamón Puerto Rico by the Fernández family, which has been producing rum in the area since 1804, making it the oldest rum manufacturer in Puerto Rico. The rum is first blended and then aged for a minimum of 6 years."

This rum is simply amazing. I frequent the many liquor stores in Buffalo and the surrounding areas this paid off with this amazing bottle for about 30.00. There were 2 left on a shelve only place I ever saw them.

Here is my review on rumratings

"This is a great rum. It comes of soft but that quickly changes into a strong smokey flavor. This is a great rum that reminds you what you are drinking. The smell is also great. I was lucky to find a store in town that had 2 bottles left. I may go get the other if it is still there."

I have revisited this bottle several times and its almost to and end and each time I love the experience. I highly suggest this buy to anyone who is able to get it.

mamajuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 06:34 AM   #2
SeldomSeen

[QUOTE=mamajuana;53257]I hope I'm not over stepping here but I've noticed this was not updated in a while. I have the reserves and collections to update this for years.

Well,... this is normally Ed Hamilton's monthly thread... But he has let it slide for quite awhile. So no one can fault you for having enough brass to take the initiative. Nice going. I'll have to keep an eye out for this one.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #3
DJ Mal

Not available here but I had someone bring me back a bottle from PR. I think he said it was $12 there. I love this rum, but I've heard the the owner of the distillery likes to drink the 2 star while playing dominos and the locals prefer the 2 star as well leaving the 3 star for tourists.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:26 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Though I start these threads, feel free to add your comments. This is after all the Rum Lover's Forum.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 11:58 PM   #5
pourmeanother

Finally a thread that talks about Ron del Barrilito in 2014! Every review/comment seems to date back to 2008/2009. Any reason why that is? It seems like a great small batch rum with a cool story. Given the lore behind it, I'm surprised why there isn't a fan base of enthusiasts talking more about it. The only reason I could think of is that maybe it isn't that good or that small batch rum fare hasn't taken off (like bourbon or tequila/mezcal have, for example).

That said, my fiancé and I are getting married in PR and I'm in charge of booze. I'm looking for a good rum. I'd prefer something economical but high-quality. I like Cruzan, but we're looking to support PR biz. Don Q is an option, but this Barrilito has intrigued me. However, I have yet to find a set of several reviews (more than 2) that rate the 2-star and the 3-star. What gives? Any tips on where I can find this? I'd love 3-star, but we'll be offering mojitos, etc. so the 2-star seems like it makes sense? Choosing between Don Q Cristal (white) and Barrilito 2/3-star. Thoughts? Thanks!
pourmeanother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 12:59 PM   #6
orion1

Hi. I am from PR and believe me when I say I have tried them all. If you go there, Don Q crystal will be more readily available. If you are mixing, it doesn't really matter so go for availability and price.

Enjoy PR!
orion1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
mamajuana

Quote:
Originally Posted by pourmeanother View Post
Finally a thread that talks about Ron del Barrilito in 2014! Every review/comment seems to date back to 2008/2009. Any reason why that is? It seems like a great small batch rum with a cool story. Given the lore behind it, I'm surprised why there isn't a fan base of enthusiasts talking more about it. The only reason I could think of is that maybe it isn't that good or that small batch rum fare hasn't taken off (like bourbon or tequila/mezcal have, for example).

That said, my fiancé and I are getting married in PR and I'm in charge of booze. I'm looking for a good rum. I'd prefer something economical but high-quality. I like Cruzan, but we're looking to support PR biz. Don Q is an option, but this Barrilito has intrigued me. However, I have yet to find a set of several reviews (more than 2) that rate the 2-star and the 3-star. What gives? Any tips on where I can find this? I'd love 3-star, but we'll be offering mojitos, etc. so the 2-star seems like it makes sense? Choosing between Don Q Cristal (white) and Barrilito 2/3-star. Thoughts? Thanks!

Sorry, I must have missed this posting. I can tell you that there are few rums I still can remember so strongly because of their unique complexity of flavors. This 3 star is one of them for certain. A straight sipper all the way. Do not mix this rum. I have never personally seen the 2 star rum available for purchase at any place I have been to before.

Don Q Crystal is a great mixer and should be actually cheaper than Cruzan. The Crystal for all mixing and the Barrilito for you and maybe a bottle of Don Q Gran Anejo, it is your wedding after all... I probably would not even mix the 2 star but I can't say for sure, but if the budget is there I'm sure these would make great mixers which will add much more rum flavor to the drinks as Don Q crystal is fairly Neutral when mixed. Or save on the mixers and just serve 3 star neat.

Why its not so popular .... Lack of marketing compared to other offerings from PR... lack of flashy updated packaging. Which is all fine and well let the real rum lovers in the know snap up the very few available bottles of this at a decent price instead of it skyrocketing from too much marketing and being placed in some fancy decanter with a huge cork.

As to where to get the 3 star... I believe the Chicago Lakeview Binny's carries it. In PR just contact the maker they sell their bottle in bulk at great discount... to anyone.

Last edited by mamajuana; 12-27-2014 at 06:09 PM.
mamajuana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 10:03 PM   #8
HughH

I never got to try the 3 Stars, but remember purchasing a bottle of 2 Stars at the airport and drinking it after returning to the mainland. That was in the late 50's. I was used to drinking PR rum either neat or with 7UP. All I remember is that I found Barrilito to be one step above Don Q and any other rum I ever tasted. Finally when the Air Force sent me to the Philippines I tried Ron Tanguay Añejo and it brought memories of Barrilito.
HughH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 10:32 AM   #9
wouter S

Default rum of the month Januari 2016

my vote for rum of the month is : El Dorado 12 years.
wouter S is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum of the Month Discussion