MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

15 years ago in 2005, Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy built the 10 Cane distillery in Trinidad.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum News

Links to articles about our favorite spirit

Old 04-25-2008, 01:14 PM   #1
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default Rum's Ship Comes In SF Chronicle

Paul Clarke, wine and spirits writer had Rum's Ship Comes In published in the SF Chronicle today.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #2
Tiare

Thanks for this article Ed!

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:48 PM   #3
Michael

We read the interesting article this morning in the paper edition. It makes a nice overview of the subject, with few of the glosses one often sees in such "Wine" section treatments.

The cocktail suggestions are, however, a mixed bag. The "Agricole Rhum Punch" aside from an admirable choice of rhum, does not seem to be an improvement on the traditional Ti Punch. Why use a whole ounce of lime only to require a whole tablespoon of canne syrup? Couldn't one get a similar (and more idiomatic) effect with a bit of falernum rather than tincture of clove?

The "Airmail" seems similarly afflicted with a whole ounce of honey syrup used to balance 3/4 ounce of lime. Please excuse the candor, but the very thought of either of those cocktails makes my belly start to ache.

The "Coin Toss", on the other hand, sounds good, but has one of the more obscure lineups of recipe elements one is likely to see. With Carpano Antica, Chartreuse Jaune, etc. in addition to the Scarlet Ibis, a trip to Death & Company may be required.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Fortunately for me, I was served the Agricole Rhum Punch at Slanted Door before I was told the proportions of that cocktail. I tend to agree that using so much lime requires more sugar than may be necessary for a good cocktail. On the other hand, the result is very good.

I usually just mix some La Favorite Ambre with passion fruit juice, a little sugar cane syrup and a squeeze of lime, but Slanted Door's Agricole Rhum Punch has changed my mind about looking at ingredients and passing judgment on the finished product.

Lastly, and I can't say if this is true in this case, I've seen more than a few recipes published in high profile media, where the proportions, and ingredients, weren't exactly as they're made in the kitchen. When the chef shares all the secrets it's no longer magic is it?
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Tiare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I've seen more than a few recipes published in high profile media, where the proportions, and ingredients, weren't exactly as they're made in the kitchen. When the chef shares all the secrets it's no longer magic is it?
That is true Ed.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:09 PM   #6
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Fortunately for me, I was served the Agricole Rhum Punch at Slanted Door before I was told the proportions of that cocktail. I tend to agree that using so much lime requires more sugar than may be necessary for a good cocktail. On the other hand, the result is very good.

I usually just mix some La Favorite Ambre with passion fruit juice, a little sugar cane syrup and a squeeze of lime, but Slanted Door's Agricole Rhum Punch has changed my mind about looking at ingredients and passing judgment on the finished product.

Lastly, and I can't say if this is true in this case, I've seen more than a few recipes published in high profile media, where the proportions, and ingredients, weren't exactly as they're made in the kitchen. When the chef shares all the secrets it's no longer magic is it?
I'll try to keep an open mind and a willing palate. Thanks for the insight with respect to published recipes. The need to rescue the fine ingredients used in cocktail preparation from their published formulations has on occasion necessitated a bit of research and impromptu mixology. Keeping the perspective you advise should help the next time rum meets shaker.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:21 PM   #7
Tiare

I find the "Coin Toss" interesting..

Old 04-28-2008, 12:02 AM   #8
Dood

If you don't already, be sure to subscribe to Paul's blog: www.cocktailchronicles.com

It's a great blog, run by one of the foremost cocktails/spirits bloggers out there. He's also the primary mover behind the Tales of the Cocktail Blog
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News