MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

37 years ago in 1982, South Pacific Distillery was established in Nelson, New Zealand.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Dark Rums

Gold, Brown, Red or Black how do you enjoy them?

Old 09-26-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Fabio

Default Serrales DonQ Grand Aсejo

Hi Ed,
I have been off a little bit from the world...to much work, no free time to enjoy Rum...

I opened a bottle of Serrales DonQ Grand Añejo that my sister gave me during my birthday (Aug 12) and after tried it I was kind of disappointed. Tell me the true (you are the master)...what is this Rum?....12 Y.O., where it was aged?...iron?...I was expecting a rich mix of cherry, leather and honey flavors but and instead my overall after taste opinion was a light rum / not aged rum. Rum bottle and presentation is excellent. I am sad...Puerto Rico...what happened?...you guys need british pirates to conquer you again?...should we send some Venezuelan rum masters to teach you how to make tasty rums?...should we send some sugar cane from Venezuela?...I am totally disappointed...anyway, I am still supporing Rum all around the world, keep trying guys!!!. Many thanks for any objective comment on my note. Best regards, Fabio from Venezuela.

Last edited by Fabio; 09-26-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #2
bluewave6

I had the opportunity to try this the other week at my local liquor store. One of the workers brought back a bottle on a recent trip to Puerto Rico (not available yet in the small state of Delaware). I found it quite nice, worth the $50 price tag...not really, but still very nice. Found it to be quite smooth with a nice balance of caramel, toffee and oak. When compared to the Don Q Anejo for $15 a bottle this was marginally better but not 3x better. I compared it to how Barbancourt 15 yr compares to the 8yr (smoother with a deeper flavor profile but not 2x-3x better).
bluewave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Fabio,
Welcome back to the forums, I hate it when life gets in the way of enjoying rum.
This isn't the Venezuelan rum you are used to, we all like what we are used to best. But on other hand, this rum is getting better all the time. Ten years ago, I was disappointed in it. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way to know how long ago the bottle you got was blended and bottled.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
Many thanks for any objective comment on my note. Best regards, Fabio from Venezuela.
Hi Fabio. Here's to hoping you have a bit more time to enjoy rum and visit here more often.

While your post was addressed to Ed this is a public forum so, I hope you will allow my comments in the spirit of rum friendship.

The DonQ line of rums is very dry and delicate. One may almost describe them as austere. They very much reflect the taste that Puerto Ricans enjoy in a rum. I happen to love rums from Venezuela, but I know many here who would taste a Venezuelan rum and wonder what all the fuss was about.

I will not suggest that Venezuela needs to be re-invaded, or that Puerto Rico needs to send sugar cane or rum masters to your Country. I'm not even suggesting you need to like Puerto Rican rum. I will suggest that there are broad differences in taste preferences outside our own boundaries...and we should learn to appreciate those.

Best regards to you and your family.
Jim
Old 09-27-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
TheRumelier

I think Chavez has an adverse affect on his subjects. I don't think we need to start world war three over a bottle of rum. While the styles of rum vary from country to country, who is to say which style is the best? While the Venezuelan tend towards the sweet side, Puerto Rican rums tend towards the dry, light side. If they were allowed to add sugar to their rums in Puerto Rico, we could probably have a similar style. While Puerto Rican rums may not be to every rum lovers taste, I think their sales will confirm they are amongst the most popular in the world. I am pretty sure most Puerto Ricans will tell you their rums are the best in the world too. It is all a matter of personal preference.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:13 AM   #6
rumdog007

Fabio, welcome back!

I cast my vote for both styles of rum! I would be a lost man without my Santa Teresa 1796 and an equally forlorned soul without my Don Q Grand Anejo.
rumdog007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:48 PM   #7
RonJames

Welcome back Fabio, glad to hear from you. The Gran Anejo is what started my journey towards sippers my friend, so Im gonna have to argue on that one. Actually, my puerto rican wife would probably fight you over that one To use the analogy again, rum/ron is like women, they are all different and I love them all. Venezuelen can be big and sweet and puerto rican can be crisp and spicy, and I'll leave you to decide if I am talking about the women or the rum. From the gran anejo I get a smoky, toffee, dryness that I've heard pairs up with a cigar very nicely. Diplomatico is sweet and bring on the dark chocolate.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
Fabio

Hi...
Thanks all for the comments. I enjoyed all of them and I got a good learning: life is broad and I should not be so blind. I recognize I was kind of passionate in my post...I love Venezuelan Rums too much (same way I love rums from Guatemala: Zacapa, Botran, etc). I think I like more the mid sweety rums vs. the ones like Don Q. I will taste Don Q and I am sure my opinion will change for good... Thanks again for the opinions and diufferent point of views, Best regards and cheers Fabio.
Fabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #9
TheRumelier

Fabio,
I think most people will agree that our rum tastes change constantly depending on our moods, situation, etc. One day I will love Venezuelan rums, the next Trinidad rums, tomorrow Jamaican rums. Last month I was in Jamaica and their rums tasted great. Next week I go to the Cayman Islands, so I will probably like their rums in the right location. Being passionate about your home rum is very understandable. We understand, just send some this way!!
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 09:24 PM   #10
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabio View Post
Hi...Thanks all for the comments. I enjoyed all of them and I got a good learning: life is broad and I should not be so blind. Best regards and cheers Fabio.
Fabio, Thank you for coming back to this thread. We can all be enlightened through experience. Let's look forward to the ongoing journey.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Dark Rums