MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

22 years ago in 2000, the Uitvlugt Distillery in Guyana closed.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 11-21-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
Milicent

Default Mocambo

I saw Mocambo last night for the first time. I have only had a few Mexican rums, but this one is new to me. At $15 a bottle and six years old, this seems like a great deal if it's decent. Anyone had it or know anything about it?
Milicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I'm only familiar with this Mocambo Rum which claims to be 20 years old. This one won a Silver Medal last year in New Orleans. I find it to be somewhat light in body with a nice slightly smoky finish with a good balance. I don't know anything about a 6 year old rum from Mocambo.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:36 PM   #3
Matusalem

Milicent,

I have not seen the 6 year old, but understand a "double distilled" 6 year old exists. Recently I've seen the 15 & 20 year old (art expression) for sale here. I'm not sure but it sounds like there is a 20 year old in a plain bottle like the 15 & a 20 year art version (I have the art version) but if there are actually 2 separate expressions - I'm unclear if the only difference in the two is the (what they describe as) artwork. The particular iteration I have is a "single barrel" presentation.

Since your post was quite a ways back - wondering if you picked up the 6 (or other) and if so what your impression was. I'm yet to open the bottle I picked up.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milicent View Post
Mocambo last night for the first time. . . .At $15 a bottle and six years old,
i have had this rum (as well as the others in the line), and i found it to be of good quality, very mixable, and something that could easily be enjoyed on the rocks {with a lemon twist even better}. i had it neat, room temperature, and it was friendly-- enjoyable, but not spectacular [where i work we actually passed on carrying it because we couldn't get the price point down].
There are a lot of great rums at that price point. That being said, this one is nice... don't expect the sky's to open and sing but it is all right.
i would say it is worth about $11- 12, and depending on the location, selection, pricing. . . $15 doesn't sound bad for a trial.
forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
angelsword

Bought a bottle of the Mocambo Pistol 10 yr Solera. It has some of the same butterscotch type flavor as One Barrel.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 06:21 PM   #6
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr
Default The 20, The 15, The Pistol 10

I just acquired three Mocambo rums, the Art Edition 20, The Red Label 15 and the Pistol 10.

It's almost a shame to open these beautiful bottles, but I'm on a mission.

These three expressions have some common traits, as you might expect. There's a good amount of oak barrel flavor, a mildly sweet start and a slightly rough, warm finish. Each is a numbered bottle.

The Pistol 10 is relatively light in color and I would not guess it to be 10 years old in a blind tasting, although it shows fine legs. After the first sip, it seems to mellow out a bit, although I still get a feeling of slight numbness on the tongue.

The 15 year old red label rum has a decidedly darker color, a richer sweetness to the start and a longer, warmer finish. Lots of barrel flavor. The empty glass holds the aroma of aged barrel and suggests this one really rested in oak a long time.

The 20 year old art edition single barrel takes the flavor profile to another level. The initial taste is warm, rich molasses, very smooth, sweet but not overbearing. The finish is at first quick, then a warmth returns to remain on the palette at length. Very unique. I could easily learn to love this rum, sitting in the cool shade of the veranda after a long hot day.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
Hank Koestner

Robert, are these aquired easily in Florida or on line?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:27 PM   #8
carlosalvarado10

Default yum!

i found a alot of these art editions 20 year bottles in california when i was firefighting 2 months ago. i picked up a couple of these bottles for 25 dollars. If you know any one in the military i know they keep this at the aafess class six stores. the class six will ship to any class six store in the U.S. kinda good that the class six is tax free too. good luck!
Old 08-26-2008, 01:20 AM   #9
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
Robert, are these acquired easily in Florida or on line?
Hank, I've been trying to get these rums for years, without any luck. As I'm updating my Gifted Rums Guide, I've been working my list of notable rums that I have not been able to include among my favorites in the guide. I finally received samples just before my deadline. I hope to find out more about distribution soon.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #10
Matusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post
Hank, I've been trying to get these rums for years, without any luck. As I'm updating my Gifted Rums Guide, I've been working my list of notable rums that I have not been able to include among my favorites in the guide. I finally received samples just before my deadline. I hope to find out more about distribution soon.
Robert,

I haven't opened my bottle yet (20 year art edition), and was considering the 15 year old, but each of these is above $30 at locations I'm familiar with. I took your notes earlier in the thread to suggest that the 15 might be a pass?

Also - from what I heard - but have not actually confirmed (visually) - was there not a 20 year old (non-art) version of this rum as well? If so, I was curious whether or not the artless version is also "Single Barrel" production and the only difference was the missing art?

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions