MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

137 years ago in 1883, the production of sugar from sugar beets equaled the production of sugar from sugar cane for the first time.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum News

Links to articles about our favorite spirit

Old 12-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #1
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default Smuggler's Cove opening

Smuggler's Cove opened last night. Here's an article from the San Francisco Chronicle.

Martin has really done a great job and has raised the standard for rum enjoyment on the west coast. The staff are experienced and very competent. It was good to see a few of the usual suspects there last night.
Congratulations to everyone who worked so hard to make this happen.

Smuggler's Cove

I forgot to ask for the Mahalo club for frequent denizens. I'll be back.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 03:23 AM   #2
woody9six

I can't wait to check this place out next weekend! I live on the otherside of the Bay, and I am taking the wife for a little weekend getaway and Smuggler's Cove has already been added to the itinerary. I've been perusing the menu, and it looks like there are so many wonderful options!!

Thanks for the heads up on the Mahalo Club, Ed!
woody9six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #3
thrall

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody9six View Post
I can't wait to check this place out next weekend! I live on the otherside of the Bay, and I am taking the wife for a little weekend getaway and Smuggler's Cove has already been added to the itinerary. I've been perusing the menu, and it looks like there are so many wonderful options!!

Thanks for the heads up on the Mahalo Club, Ed!

Its a great place. One of the things that impressed me was that they squeeze all of their own juice.....and thats a pretty good trick considering the volume that they are going to go through....

Its a small place and seating is at a premium...so if you going with a group...try and get there early.....I liked the downstairs bar the best and sat at the bar watching they guys work...loads of fun.....

The first hour is happy hour and discount drinks........

have fun...

Old 01-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
woody9six

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrall View Post
Its a great place. One of the things that impressed me was that they squeeze all of their own juice.....and thats a pretty good trick considering the volume that they are going to go through....

Its a small place and seating is at a premium...so if you going with a group...try and get there early.....I liked the downstairs bar the best and sat at the bar watching they guys work...loads of fun.....

The first hour is happy hour and discount drinks........

have fun...
Thanks for the tips. Had a great time, and just missed happy hour. I should have looked at the bus schedule a bit more closely. Did manage to find a seat in the Hut (directly over the bar, so i did what you did and watch the bartender work), but I did explore downstairs and in the future, that looks like the place to be. We did get there early enough to not have to wait to get in.

After much debate, I ended up ordering the Smuggler's Rum Barrel (over the Mai Tai and the Calibogus which looked very fascinating). I was very impressed with the depth of flavor. Sweet but not overly so. I could have spent a small fortune exploring the menu (and not remembered much of the rest of the evening), so I am anxious to return.

As a side note, I did have a chance to meet Martin, and found out that the Mahalo Club would be up and running as of last Monday (two days after my visit).
woody9six is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News