MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

56 years ago in 1963, St Vincent Distillers Limited was established on St. Vincent.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #1
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Default Reviews for Diplomatico Rums

Diplomatico Reserva

Many months ago I opened my blog with 16 rum reviews which I had written as mad ramblings here on the Ministry of Rum. At the time I had no intention of ever being a spirits writer, I was just sharing my thoughts on various rums using my own unique system of scoring and basically having fun. Included in those sixteen reviews were my early reviews of Diplomatico Anejo, and Diplomatico Exclusiva Reserva. Although the reviews were in many ways cursory, and lacking depth, they nonetheless were noticed by the importers of Diplomatico in my home province, (PB Beverages) and a solid friendly relationship was established. Then recently, I was given a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva, and asked to provide a review such that all three of the major Diplomatico products would be present on my Blog. There is no point denying my pleasure at this request. Diplomatico is one of my most favoured spirits companies when it comes to deep rich flavourful rum. So I accepted the rum sample with no hesitation, and after spending some time getting to know the Reserva, I am happy to share the results of my review with you.

Review: Diplomatico Reserva 8 Anos

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 06-22-2010 at 09:42 AM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:00 AM   #2
PyratSteve

Indeed. Diplomatico and Viscaya are my favourite 2 sipping rums. Such a shame neither can be sourced in Australia. Please be a sport and pass this on your contact. I'd love to be able to get it here. Cheers Steve
Old 06-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #3
Recluse

Interesting! I recently saw a bottle of Diplomatico Reserva, but passed on it since I already had fallen in love with the Exclusiva and was afraid that this would be a big letdown. As a RumHowler 90 pointer, it obviously holds its own against elder brother Exclusiva! Have to go back and double check the shelf price I saw..
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

One thing I really appreciated with respect to the Reserva, is that it was not a less developed Exclusiva reserva. The Exclusiva is a sweeter rum and in my opinion has a different taste profile.

The Reserva actually reminded me a bit of an Appleton, but with the sharp tannins (What I call the orange peel flavour) melted into the rummy toffee flavour a little more. I tried the Reserva side by side with the Appleton 12, and found it to be just a little better on the balance.

The comparisons are subjective of course, but that was how I arrived a the score of 90. It was a hair better than the Appleton 12 which scored 89 and not quite as good as a few I had scored in the 92 range.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
Edward Hamilton
Founder

As subjective as things are, it is always interesting to compare rums side by side and then see if the numbers bear out in the end.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #6
Churchill103

Rum is so subjective that I think I will have another drink!!
Old 06-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #7
Recluse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
One thing I really appreciated with respect to the Reserva, is that it was not a less developed Exclusiva reserva. The Exclusiva is a sweeter rum and in my opinion has a different taste profile.

The Reserva actually reminded me a bit of an Appleton, but with the sharp tannins (What I call the orange peel flavour) melted into the rummy toffee flavour a little more. I tried the Reserva side by side with the Appleton 12, and found it to be just a little better on the balance.

The comparisons are subjective of course, but that was how I arrived a the score of 90. It was a hair better than the Appleton 12 which scored 89 and not quite as good as a few I had scored in the 92 range.
Very interesting, considering I think I have seen Reserva at a lower price than the Appleton 12 (except for one local place that seems like it MUST have mixed up the shelf price of the Appleton 12 with the Appleton Reserve).

The Appleton Extra 12 has been on my list to try especially at the $24.99 price I saw.
Recluse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 04:18 PM   #8
guayames

Default Agree

I agree 100% with the review provided by Artic Wolf on the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva, without question at the top of the list of Rums I have tested so far.

By the way, after taking and finishing the Diplomatico on a 20 day Rum tasting and buying cruise around the Caribbean, bought and tested a Mount Gay 1703 that I in Barbados, where it is produced, for $107. Not as good as the Diplomatico Reserva Especial. Imagine how I felt when getting the same Mount Gay 1703 bottle for $39.99 in St. Thomas. I checked and in the Staes it sells for over $100 so I bought 3 bottles to cut my loses.

I will keep buying the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva
guayames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchill103 View Post
Rum is so subjective that I think I will have another drink!!
Brilliant! . . So gorgeous and beauty . . .

K A,
Old 10-23-2010, 04:14 AM   #10
lesist

Send a message via Skype™ to lesist

Well, I wouldn't say Mount Gay 1703 is not as good as the Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. For me it's the 'better' quality rum. BUT it's 2 totally different types of rums. I like both of them, but with the Mount Gay 1703 more complex and smoother, and the Diplomatico with its sweetness perfect for a cigar.
lesist is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf