MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

17 years ago in 2004, House Spirits distillery was established in Portland, Oregon.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-06-2008, 02:51 AM   #1
Minnesota Dan

Default Rum Identification Help

Hi,
I recently bought a bottle of rum that was bottled under a private label and was wondering if I could find out who made it and if maybe it is bottled under a common brand label. I bought the rum when on a trip and it's not available where I live. The bottle says the rum was imported from Barbados, is 40% alcohol, aged 5 years and is a "handcrafted small batch rum, traditionally distilled and patiently aged to perfection in heavy char white oak casks". I emailed the company that imported it for their own label and they told me they got it from the “West Indies Rum Co.” I see on the ministryofrum site that they distill rum for Hanschell Innis and other rum blenders. When I looked up the rums that are listed for them none of them seemed to be a perfect match. The alcohol percentage would be different or the age of it or what kind of cask was used and so on. I was wondering if anyone can help me out with this. If I can't find an equivalent rum at a similar price I may have to plan a trip just to buy more of it. The other thing is that when it is sold out they won't be getting anymore of it in and it would be nice to know if it's sold under another brandname. It is a very good rum at a very reasonable price- $14.49 a bottle for a 750ml. I've spent 2 to 2 1/2 times that much for rums that I don't like as much as this rum. If anyone can shed any light on this I would really appreciate it.
Dan
Minnesota Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Rum Runner

What's the name of the rum and who is the importer?
Old 05-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
Minnesota Dan

The rum is called "Princeton's Rum River" and it was imported by United States Distilled Products. www.usdp.com When I contacted them I was told that they imported it from the “West Indies Rum Co.” They didn't say anymore than that.
Old 05-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #4
Rum Runner

Given that the Rum River runs through Princeton, MN it would appear that this may have been a one off special label bottling for a local distributor.

You may wish to give a try to Cockspur 5 star if you haven't already and see how it stacks up.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:14 PM   #5
EssentialSpirits

From what I understand, West Indies Rum company supplies other distilleries with "filler" rum, that can either be added to RTD mixes, or added in addition to "better" rum to keep costs of production down.

I've never actually seen a product produced by them though, then again.. I still have lots to learn... thankfully
EssentialSpirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 11:36 PM   #6
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssentialSpirits View Post
From what I understand, West Indies Rum company supplies other distilleries with "filler" rum, that can either be added to RTD mixes, or added in addition to "better" rum to keep costs of production down.

I've never actually seen a product produced by them though, then again.. I still have lots to learn... thankfully
As we all continue to learn.. The USDP site mentioned above (by Dan)describes themselves as bottlers as opposed to producers.

This would lead me to think that they simply do that. Importing in bulk and then bottling and labeling, And floating some labels for the region..Such as Princeton Rum River.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:45 AM   #7
Minnesota Dan

"Princeton's Rum River" was exactly that. It was imported and bottled exclusively for the city of Princeton's sesquicentennial (1856-2006) celebration. Afterwards the United States Distilled Products Co. ,which is located in Princeton, must have made a deal with the municipal liquor store to take it off their hands and sell it locally which is where I ran across it. It may also explain why it is priced so reasonably given the quality of it, it wouldn't have gone through the regular distribution channels. Thanks also for the suggestion of Cockspur 5 Star. I'll have to find it and see how it compares.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions