MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

255 years ago in 1762, Destileria Carupano C.A. was established in Venezuela.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Caribbean Related Discussion
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Caribbean Related Discussion

Getting around the islands can be half the adventure of discovering new rum.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default How the Ministry got its name

It wasn't a dark and stormy night, but we were drinking rum anyway. We, a few of the usual suspects and I, were in the cockpit of the rum research vessel Tafia, anchored behind a reef not far from where the full moon party was held that gotten me on the rum trail three years before. I was preparing to head down island with a load of freshly printed books. The first edition of Rums of the Eastern Caribbean had been in print a little over a year and sales were brisk. The next edition was in the planning stages and with a little luck I'd be out of first edition books by the end of the year. Already I was hearing from people who had bought my first book and were following in my wake to the distilleries, and loving every minute of the experience.

I was excited to be leaving in the morning but was at a little of a loss as to how I was going to continue the momentum and hopefully make the next book as much of a success as the first one. I wanted everyone who bought this book to go to the distilleries and see for themselves how the rum in the bottles was made. And I wanted everyone to meet some of the best people in the islands, to meet the people who had dedicated their lives to making the spirit of the Caribbean.

After another round of rum, I came up with the idea of adding a Passport to Rum to the next book. And to go with the passport would be visas good for free samples, discounts or drinks at restaurants, bars and distilleries. Everyone on board that night agreed that a passport to rum had a certain ring of success to it. But . . . How could a guy on a sailboat just issue passports and visas without some kind of authority?

Within the hour, while we savored from another bottle of rum from St Vincent someone suggested that I start the Ministry of Rum. A certain glow illuminated the dark cockpit and without another word we toasted the Ministry of Rum. Hell, in the islands there were Ministeries of almost everything, Education, Health, Labor, Tourism and somewhere there was even a Ministry of Lack of Tourism and Labor.

And so it was decided that I would start the Ministry of Rum, issue passports and visas to select places along the rum trail in the Eastern Caribbean and generally do my best to enjoy the Spirit of the Caribbean. I wasn't crazy about the idea of being the Minister of Rum, I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up a job, but, after a little more rum, I agreed that I would work for the Ministry of Rum, at least until I found a more suitable candidate for the job.

More than ten years later, I'm still at it and the Ministry of Rum has grown to include more books and this website. I'm still not sure I want a job, but as someone much wiser than me once told me, Find something you really love to do and you'll never have to work a day in your life.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #2
Milicent

Once again I've enjoyed your story-telling. I'm looking forward to your next publicaiton. If you ever do get your hands on any of those old first copies, I humbly repeat my request to have the opportunity to purchase one. Thank you, Mr. Minister.
Milicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 01:34 AM   #3
RumBarPhilly

Very cool story! I was discussing with David and Clyde from Castries when I met them a couple months back about your site, and your title, the Minister. We were looking at titles to call myself and other rum enthusiasts out there, a few were, "Deacon, Ambassador, Governor, and Rabbi (I am Jewish, despite not being a rabbi, haha)"

I suppose it would take away from your status if we did so, though, as you know 10 fold more than anybody on this forum about rum...Although Robert, you do seem to possess an endless stream of knowledge about almost everything!

My favorite part of this forum is that, in Philadelphia, I am the foremost knowledgable person on rum (that I know of), and on here, there are nearly 2 dozen people who know more than me. I love the site, and check it more than my email!
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Tiare

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumBarPhilly View Post
I love the site, and check it more than my email!
Me too..

What a great storyteller you are Ed! I enjoyed every minute of the reading and you sure are a great minister of rum!

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Caribbean Related Discussion