MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

87 years ago in 1930, Montebello Distillerie Carrere was established on Guadeloupe.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 02-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
xazzu

Default Western Caribbean rum suggestions?

Hey folks, I've gotten your recommendations for rum from Jamaica (I chose the Master Blender's Legacy) before, so how about we head to the Western Caribbean and see what you guys think. I'm still very partial to Zacapa 23, just to get an idea of my tastes.

The ports I will be visiting are: Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. They aren't the best ports in the world, but we mostly wanted to see some Mayan ruins.

The only one I know of is Travellers' 5 Barrel Rum in Belize, so I will try to snag a bottle of that. Otherwise, the rums don't have to be specifically from the port, though it is nice. Any rum I can't get here in Central Florida is a possibility!
xazzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:02 PM   #2
Mikeycanuk

Say hi to Steve from Tropicante while in the Costa Maya-get away from the port!!. Great place to eat. We stayed for 12days in Mahauhal a few years back.

I would go for the Zacapa 18. I think Santa Teresa 1796 is available in Cancun, might be worth looking for in Coz.
Mikeycanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
krustykrab

I've been to all of those places both on cruises and not. You are correct in that they are not the best places for rum travels, but you will make out ok. In Belize, yes 5 Barrel is great, even better though - arrange your own transport to the Travellers Hertiage Center just out of town where you can learn about the rum production AND buy the exclusive (only sold at the HC) 10yr old rum! Otherwise go into town to a local grocery and stock up on rum, hot sauce (Marie Sharp), and killer coffee (Gallon Jug Estate).

Cozumel, rent a car and go to the other side of the island - visit the windward beaches and a small ruin site, otherwise pier area is super crowded. Maybe some rum finds at duty free near pier?

Costa Maya, again, get away from the pier area, book a trip through cruise or own your own to some great ruins. Again maybe rum at DF?

Honduras...? All I did there was scuba dive - not much else! Reefs are really killer there - pristine condition, untouched (at least when I was there last!) Diving was sublime!

Good luck - none of these areas are really known for rum (expt maybe Belize/Travellers) but you may do ok at duty free or local groceries near the ports where your find other Caribbean rums.
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
xazzu

Not going to get Zacapa 18 unless it's some insane price, I can get 23 here already. I can get 1796 here too, so I'll skip that one as well.

I was going to do a 7 hour tour to the Lamanai ruins in Belize, but apparently that excursion is now booked up. Gotta talk with the wife, not sure if she'll feel comfortable going out on our own. You sure the 10 year is only available there? Poops.

Otherwise, we're just taking cruise line excursions - wifey doesn't like going out on our own. Makes sense, I guess, the cruise won't leave you if you're on their excursions! I guess that's why they're more expensive - a bit of insurance is included. Of course I'm going to hit the port shops to look for some rum, just don't know if there's any others I should be on the look for.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
demerara rum jumbie

Darn if I knew of the 10 yr old j would have arranged a trip to the HC. I just came back from vaca on ambergris caye. Took a tour of the Xanantuich mayan ruins, that was great.

I didn't bring back any travelers 1 or 5 figuring I could get then here in usa. I was on lookout for Havana club anything but no luck at stores out where we were. Wife and I picked up a flattie of 1 barrel and flattened it with fresh coconut water!

The duty free at Belize international airport has flor de cana 21 for $65 us. Was tempted but I already have 18 which is better. The collectible aspect was considered but I'm out of space at home so I passed. $65 us is a good price for the 21 tho.
demerara rum jumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
demerara rum jumbie

Xazzu try your luck with tuff enuff tours. http://www.tuffenuffbz.com/mayan.html
Depending on your layover time you may be able to work something in. We did 2 trips with them and I have no complaints.
demerara rum jumbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #7
krustykrab

I would whole-heartedly recommend getting out on your own on port days of a cruise. It will require a little pre-planning, but is totally doable at a fraction of the price that the cruise charges. Get out and away from the port so you can see a bit of the 'real country' that you are visiting, not just the port area where all of the tourists stay and all of the 'oportunistic businessmen and women' hang out. The cruise excursions are SO over priced - that is how they make money - cruises are relatively cheap, but they make huge $$ on tours.

I've had great success prebooking car rentals at ports and traveling around Cozumel, in Belize City I've taken a taxi to the municipal airport and flown to Ambergris for the day on one cruise. In the DR and other places, I've walked into town, met some locals, and gotten AMAZING deals on rare and local rums not seen in any duty free shops on port liquor stores.
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:44 PM   #8
Thomas K

If You´re in Cancun/Cozumel/Playa del Carmen area, try to get a bottle of Mocambo 20yr. Nice mexican rum to sip and the price was unbeatable a year ago. Also look out for Los Valientes 20yr, a nice mexican agricole/molasses combination.
Thomas K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:19 PM   #9
xazzu

I'll do my best to get out, but like I said, it's tough to convince my wife that it's safe enough to adventure out. All I'll probably be able to do is see what shops I can find while we're on our excursions instead of the ones near the port.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! Will let you know what I find.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:51 PM   #10
xazzu

I was unable to get to the Heritage center, but I did snag two bottles ($16) of 5 Barrel at the port, and it's fantastic! The little kick of smoke at the end is surprising, love it! I have some friends going back to Belize in a few months, so I'll see if I can't talk them into getting over to get me some 10 Barrel.

I noticed at that Traveler's is only bringing the 1 Barrel to the Miami Rum Fest; it's too bad they won't have the others. I did have some 1 Barrel while I was cruising too, and I really enjoyed that as well.

I picked up a bottle of Flor de Cana 18 on the cheap ($35), but wasn't super impressed with it. Got a Captain Morgan Black for $10 that looked pretty good for making Dark and Stormies with, but haven't tried it yet. I wonder if it's close to the Captain Morgan Black I've seen popping up here?

Thanks again for the suggestions folks, here's to the next time!

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions