MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

109 years ago in 1908, Varela Hermanos SA was established in Panama.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum News

Links to articles about our favorite spirit

Old 06-08-2009, 07:03 PM   #1
Rum Runner

Default SEVEN TIKI(R) Takes Spiced Rum Into Uncharted Waters of Bountiful Flavor and Smoothne

Press Release Source: SEVEN TIKI

* On Monday June 8, 2009, 8:00 am EDT

Premium Fijian Rum with Spices and Natural Flavors Launches in United States with roll-out in California and Florida

PR Newswire - SEVEN TIKI Fijian Rum with Spices and Natural Flavors.

MIAMI, June 8 /PRNewswire/ -- From the South Pacific comes SEVEN TIKI® Spiced Rum, a Fijian rum with spices and other natural flavors. This premium spiced rum is made from the molasses of choice Polynesian sugar cane, exotic spices and virgin water drawn from deep beneath the Fiji's volcanic highlands.

The result is a 35 percent alcohol by volume (70 proof) rum that is remarkably smooth with the robust flavor of fresh sugar cane, Polynesian fruit, coffee and hints of cherry and chocolate accompanied by an aroma of vanilla and light creme caramel with a medium-bodied, well-rounded mouth feel.

The craft and spirit behind SEVEN TIKI is rooted in the tradition and adventure of South Pacific legend, which tells of Polynesian navigators, known as The Great Fleet, who set out from their homeland of Hawaiki in search of the land of the long white cloud, Aotearoa. These brave navigators carved a 'Tiki' into the helm of each of seven outrigger canoes (or wakas) so "it should always cast a shadow to the East or West and keep the voyage true." These Tikis represented seven skills and qualities they would need to complete their journey across the open sea. SEVEN TIKI is crafted in honor of these legendary gods and intrepid navigators.

"SEVEN TIKI is a premium alternative to common, mass-produced spiced rums," said Brian LePorin, senior brand manager, SEVEN TIKI. "SEVEN TIKI has already won accolades for its outstanding flavor and smoothness derived from superior ingredients: molasses from fine Polynesian sugar cane, sun baked Indonesian nutmeg, Madagascar vanilla beans and untouched Fijian water," added LePorin. "Spiced rum consumers who want to elevate and enhance their cocktails will find SEVEN TIKI Spiced Rum exceptional."

SEVEN TIKI has already drawn praise within the industry, earning a Gold Medal among 14 entries in the flavored and spiced rum category at the 2009 Ministry of Rum Tasting Competition held in May in Miami, Fla. It is now available in fine restaurants, nightclubs and wine and spirits stores in California and Florida and sells for a suggested retail price of $19.99 for a 750ml bottle.

Select SEVEN TIKI Cocktails

SEVEN TIKI & Coke
1 part SEVEN TIKI Spiced Rum
3 parts Coca-Cola®
Prepare in an ice-filled old fashioned glass. Garnish with orange peel.

SPICY MANGO TIKI
1 1/2 oz SEVEN TIKI Spiced Rum
2 oz mango nectar
1/2 oz Monin spicy mango syrup
3/4 oz fresh lime juice
Shake with ice. Strain into a rocks glass. Garnish with a lime wedge.

SEVEN TIKI and Ginger
1 part SEVEN TIKI Spiced Rum
1/2 part Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur
1 part fresh lemon juice
1/2 part honey
Ginger ale
In a tall glass add lemon juice and honey and stir. Add ice, SEVEN TIKI
and Domaine de Canton and stir. Garnish with piece of crystallized ginger
and lemon wedge.

About SEVEN TIKI

SEVEN TIKI is Fijian rum with spices and other natural flavors made from the finest Polynesian sugar cane, mellow spices and pure, untouched water to produce a full-bodied, yet smooth premium rum. SEVEN TIKI is crafted and aged in honor of brave Polynesian travelers who navigated the South Pacific guided on their voyages by seven Tikis carved at the helm of their canoes. For additional information about SEVEN TIKI visit www.SEVENTIKI.com.

SEVEN TIKI Spiced Rum. ENJOY RESPONSIBLY.

www.SevenTiki.com

®2009 Seven Tiki and the Seven Tiki Logo are Trademarks and/or registered trademarks.

Last edited by Rum Runner; 06-08-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Rum Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Rum Runner

What surprised me the most was to learn that this product is part of Bacardi's Global Brand line-up. The worlds largest rum producer is contracting a Fijian distillery to produce a spiced rum....What's that about???
Old 06-09-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
gatomalo

Has anyone tried it yet?

It appears to be available in the UK, but at 40%. Maybe a different rum under the same name?
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #4
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomalo View Post
Maybe a different rum under the same name?
Exactly. What is showing up Stateside is from the same distiller. Same name. Different bottle. Now a spiced rum bottled at 35% ABV.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:58 PM   #5
Hank Koestner

It is a good, solid spiced rum. I gave it a silver at the tasting, which is a good rating. I would choose it over the Captain.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:13 PM   #6
Tiare

That was interesting news. I havenґt even yet tried their white and dark yet and now they launch a spice, i wonder how i shall be able to find these?

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 05:34 AM   #7
gatomalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
It is a good, solid spiced rum. I gave it a silver at the tasting, which is a good rating. I would choose it over the Captain.
How does it compare to the Foursquare?

I wonder if we'll be able to find the spiced version in the UK?
gatomalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #8
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatomalo View Post
How does it compare to the Foursquare?
You took the question right out of my mouth, Gatomalo.

There definitely seems to be a pecking order in spiced rums, and Foursquare looks to be the best of the bunch, whereas the Captain and the Sailor appear to be marketed for other reasons. Of course, I could be wrong about that.

I wonder what the future holds for Seven Tiki?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
tym2relax

I just saw Seven Tiki Spiced Rum at BevMo and wondered if anyone here has tried it out.
tym2relax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:09 PM   #10
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Here are answers to some of my questions about Seven Tiki from the Bacardi Senior Manager, Corporate Communications/Public Relations.

When did Seven Tiki start?
SEVEN TIKI was a brand created in June 2006 by the group that started 42BELOW Vodka. They originally launched a SEVEN TIKI premium white rum. When Bacardi purchased 42BELOW Vodka in Dec. 2006, Bacardi also gained the SEVEN TIKI brand.

What is it?
SEVEN TIKI is a premium Fijian rum brand.

What the different products being sold under the Seven Tiki label?
In Europe: SEVEN TIKI Aged Dark Rum, 700ml.
In U.S.: SEVEN TIKI Spiced Rum, 750ml

Where is it produced?
SEVEN TIKI rum is produced at the South Pacific Distillery in Fiji, a small distillery adjacent to the major Fiji Sugar Corp. sugar mill, which is near Lautoka city on the North West coast of the main Fijian island of Viti Levu.

What is the raw material?
Sugar cane molasses from high-quality Fijian sugar cane, which has been growing in Fiji for thousands of years.

Types of stills used to make Seven Tiki?
It is produced on a continuous still. The continuous still gets its steam from a wood fired boiler.

Where is it blended/aged?
Fiji.

Where is bottled?
SEVEN TIKI Aged Rum (Europe) is bottled in France.
SEVEN TIKI Spiced Rum (U.S.) is bottled on the United States.

What makes the product unique?
SEVEN TIKI Spiced Rum is unique because:
  • Different origin and personality: Caribbean vs. Melanesia (Fiji).
  • Best in class liquid: Pure water from Fiji, thousands of years of tradition in Fiji producing quality sugar cane and made with the highest quality spices including sun-baked Indonesian nutmeg and Madagascar vanilla beans.
  • History & Mythology: According to South Pacific legend, seven canoes manned by valiant navigators crossed the ocean in search of unknown lands, until they reached the Fiji islands. Their only guides were Seven Tikis - spirits carved into the bow of each canoe. On the Fiji islands they discovered sugar cane, which had been growing there for more than 6,000 years.
  • Revolutionary packaging: A screen-prints bottle with motives of Fijian tattoos, the image of Fiji Islands and a fragment of the Seven Tiki legend.

Where is each of the labels being sold?
  • SEVEN TIKI Spiced Rum is currently in the United State in California and Florida.
  • SEVEN TIKI Aged Rum is currently available in Europe in Spain, Belgium, Italy and the United Kingdom.

What are the plans for the future?
Expand distribution of SEVEN TIKI Spiced rum throughout the U.S. and expand SEVEN TIKI Aged Rum throughout Europe.

Do you plan to introduce other Seven Tiki products in the coming year?
There are currently no plans to introduce other SEVEN TIKI products. Current focus is on expansion of existing products.

What is the relationship between Seven Tiki and Bacardi?
Bacardi Global Brands owns SEVEN TIKI, the trademark, and all brands under this name.

I don't know about the revolutionary packaging, seems I've seen screen-printed bottles for more than a decade and have yet to find a bottle that made the product better, but there you have it from the Corporate Communications. To date Bacardi has not made anyone available for a recorded audio interview.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News