MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

158 years ago in 1861, Le Galion S.A.E.M. (Martinique) was established on Martinique.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #91
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default Re: Once you open a bottle of rum, then what?

I wouldn't use co2 as it really isn't inert. Wine savers use xenon or nitrogen. CO2 is used for carbonation.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:17 AM   #92
BARÓN

im glad that i found this thread...thanks
BARÓN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 04:37 PM   #93
finzi

For what it is worth...years ago a ancient clerk in a liquor store sold me a nice (read stupid expensive) bottle of calvados. His suggestion was to insert small glass balls/marbles in the bottle to replace the volume drank each time. People use for decorating and you can find them in the Container Store. It kept the bottle fresh for probably a decade. I do it with other special occasion bottles as well and seems to work well. When the bottle is finished they can be reused after a simple boil to clean them.
finzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #94
TORKER

Thank you all for the great info above! I would like to know if anyone has come across sediment floating or at the bottom of any rum bottles. I went on a search for Lemon Hart and found several bottles that I know varied in age. Two of which I'm sure have been on the shelf for at least ten years. One had dark brown stuff stuck to the bottom. I shook it up for a minute and it cleard up. Now it looks like small white light floating stuff is in the bottle. Another bottle that is not as old has the light stuff floating in it as well. Dose anyone know what this is and is it still ok to drink? Is it caused by the age? My gut feeling is that it's OK, Just would like to see what you all think. Thank you in advance for your insight.
TORKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:35 PM   #95
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

At a guess I would say that is probably flocculation.

As the alcohol evaporates, the remaining alcohol will drop fatty acids usually held in suspension out of the solution, These can usually be shaken back into the liquid without affecting the flavour too much
Old 08-17-2010, 12:47 PM   #96
AdLoki

Default Oxidisation question regarding Zacapa 23

Hi, I have been looking on the net for a solution to my problem and then I came across this topic regarding rum storage.

Basically, I first tried Ron Zacapa 23 at a local pub and decided that it was /the/ drink for me - smooth, rich and not overly 'ethanolly'. As such I ended up requesting that my work colleagues buy me a bottle as a leaving gift, expecting to be able to savour it in the same way. To my surprise, I found the rum that I had been given to be really quite harsh and not drinkable neat.

I assume that, due to the prohibitive price of the rum in my local (£7.60 per measure) their bottle has been on the shelf for a while, slowly oxidising via the cork. I'm sure that a fair amount of the alcohol has also evaporated due to the fact that it is on display under spotlights behind the bar.

My question is, what would you recommend for me to achieve a similar taste? I don't want to ruin the rum but I also don't want to drink it with mixers - it would seem somehow sacrilegious. I see in one of your posts that some people believe the oxidisation process improves the flavour of the rum and I am evidently one of these people.

Is it just a case of leaving the cork off for a while?

I hope you can help!
Many thanks,
Ad
AdLoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #97
Matusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdLoki View Post
Is it just a case of leaving the cork off for a while?
I don't think so. Oxidation would most likely be from the cork not having a proper seal (in other words it would be the same as the bottle being slightly open or the cork not quite fitting). Taking the cork off would let even more air in = more oxidation.

Does the cork look rotten or eaten up a bit? Was the bottle completely sealed when you received it - or could the cork be removed without breaking a seal? If it wasn't sealed and has a regular cork (no airlock top), there is the strong possibility that the bottle was re-filled with some other spirit.

Sorry. Assuming the spirit is what it's supposed to be in the bottle, I know of no way to restore rum - maybe someone else has suggestions. At best you might try blending it with other rum.
Old 09-25-2010, 07:48 AM   #98
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Pour yourself a dram and let it breathe 5, 10, 15 minutes and see how the flavor changes. Opening a new bottle will be different than drinking from one that has been on a bar under spotlights.

And please take a few minutes to introduce yourself in the Introduction section of the forums and you'll get faster responses to your posts.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #99
jellydonut

I've noticed this with my gin. The botanical flavor is contained in the alcohol, and as the bottle gets diminished the flavors evaporate into the air of the bottle. That last 'slump' of gin is really disappointingly tasteless. This happens even with screw cork bottles - the air in the bottle is enough.

I'm gonna start decanting the stuff into smaller bottles as I empty them, both the gin and the rum, because this is honestly quite annoying. It does *not* take long either. If the gin bottle is nearly empty it won't even take a week.

I have yet to even finish my first bottle of rum so I cannot comment on that, other than to state that there will be more of those on the shelf too, so we'll see.

That thing with the glass marbles is also utterly genius. I guess I'm buying marbles now. I've never seen that before, I'm sure people will think I've lost my marbles when they see them in my liquor bottles.
jellydonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #100
bradly1981

Has anyone really come to an agreement which is the best practice to preserve/prolong their rum. I have a bottle of English Harbour 1981 that want to enjoy over a longer period of time more than 2 years. (I want to savour it for as long a I can)

So far I've read:

Drink it quick
Synthetic cork
Rubber vacuum top/cork (vacvu vin)
The inert gas/cork combo
Marbles (to displace air in the bottle)
Pouring rum into smaller bottles to reduce the headspace

Has anyone come to a conclusion on the best practice ?

Thanks for your forth-coming input
bradly1981 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions

Tags
how long store rum , how to store rum , store rum