MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

60 years ago in 1959, Nepal Distilleries Pvt Ltd was established in Nepal.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Bars that appreciate RUM
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Bars that appreciate RUM

A growing number of bars appreciate rum, and and we appreciate them.

Old 04-10-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Scottes

Default Boston

Rumba, the "rum bar" at the Intercontinental Hotel, is reputed to have over 70 kinds of rum.

I have yet to make it down there, but I certainly will one of these days. At the very least I'm curious as to what they actually have.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

That sounds very interesting since Massachusetts is a very difficult place to sell spirits due to the distributor situation. I know several liquor store owners who are very frustrated because they can't buy spirits which are sold in neighboring states.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:25 AM   #3
PirateNord

Interestingly enough, I was just there last week, with no idea they had a rum bar. And I can attest that they DO have a very very impressive selection. The shelving above the bar facing outward is filled with different labels from the mundane to the eye-popping. In the very front, they had 4 of the collectors boxes for Mount Gay Tricentennial Selection. When I asked if they actually carried it, he produced the bottle, nearly empty. He allowed me to smell it and look at it, then poured me just a taste worth.

It goes for $50 US a shot.

It is a beautiful bar, but a bit overpriced (of course, it IS a hotel bar).
PirateNord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 09:37 PM   #4
Scottes

I finally got a chance to visit RumBa the other day. In quick summary, the rum list is excellent even though it had only a few that I would consider rare. Notable rums included Pyrat 1623 ($40), Mount Gay Tricentennial ($75), Clйment Cuvee Homere ($20), Clйment XO ($28) and British Royal Navy Imperial ($120). More "typical" rums included Pyrat XO, Ron Zacapa (15 & 23), Zaya, Mount Gay Extra Old, Ron Pampero, Ron Matusalem Gran Reserva, Appleton 21, many Plantations, and several others of the very good and excellent rums. All in all a very good selection, and I thought the prices were pretty decent really, between 200% and maybe 300% markup considering the healthy 2 ounce pours that I received.

The place wasn't perfect - I watched one young bartender muddling the bejeezus out of a Mojito, and I wish they knew more about the rums. But it's a nice place, which is expected for a hotel bar in an upscale hotel, the rum list is excellent.

I posted a full review on my blog.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:39 PM   #5
martybmccabe

Scottes,

Don't know if you're from Boston or not, but if you aren't, let me suggest going to a place like, Eastern Standard, Green St., B-Side, or #9 Park, all places with very good to excellent rum selections, and the requisite knowledge to go along with the rum, along with cocktails, in general.

All the best,

Marty
martybmccabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #6
angelsword

I'm planning to visit Boston come September. I'll definately pass by. Maybe we could do a Boston rum appreciation meet-up.

Last edited by angelsword; 07-24-2007 at 10:38 PM.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Scottes

Absolutely! And we should manage some interesting conversations - I used to make knives many years ago. Mostly from blanks, but a couple got ground from bar stock.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:36 PM   #8
Rumpelteazer

I will be in Boston this weekend, hope to check out Rumba and some of the other places mentioned above. TR to follow.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:50 PM   #9
Rumpelteazer

Thanks to multiple weather-related flight cancellations, I didn't have as much time in Boston as I had hoped. So my visit to Rumba was a bit brief.

My impressions were generally consistent with Scotte's review. Given that the location is a lobby bar in a high end city hotel, they did a pretty good job creating a pleasant rum-themed decor. It's not a tiki bar, or a fun neighborhood hangout. Its a place for business travelers and tourists to kill a bit of time.

The rum range is impressive, about 80 that you would actually consider drinking neat. And the Bacardis and flavored stuff is kept mostly out of view.

My only surprise was realizing after a few minutes, that of the 25 or so patrons on a late Saturday afternoon, I was the only one drinking rum! The bartender seemed to appreciate this too, as he came back to check on me much more frequently than the other customers, asking what I thought of certain rums on their menu, and offering me a few tastes on the side. Curiously, one of those offered was the same Diplomatico that Scottes was offered. Either that was in Chapter 1 of their bartender training manual, or there is some sort of promotion going on.

Definitely worth a visit if you are in the area, and an opportunity to try some things you might not have had before.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:12 PM   #10
Rumpelteazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by martybmccabe View Post
Don't know if you're from Boston or not, but if you aren't, let me suggest going to a place like, Eastern Standard, Green St., B-Side, or #9 Park, all places with very good to excellent rum selections, and the requisite knowledge to go along with the rum, along with cocktails, in general.
I had hoped to visit all of these places, but the airlines had other plans.

From my hotel in Kendall Sq., the Green St. Grill was a brisk 20 minute walk away. This was a typical American grill type of restaurant with a substantial portion of the space given over to a bar kind of halfway between what college students and yuppies would be attracted to. As a result, I saw very few of either there. Their rum list contained 10 or so items above the usual, such as Pyrat XO, 10Cane, and Zacapa 23. Also the slightly more uncommon St. James hors d'age and Brugal anejo. My bartender was a you-see-it-you-order-it kind of guy, though. OK, but most cities have at least a dozen places just like this.

Also within walking distance was the B-Side Lounge. My friends tell me this used to be quite the trendy place, with it's retro chic atmosphere and eclectic menu. Now it seems more touristy and tired than trendy. Apparently, nearly every local has at least one service horrow show story from here. I don't, but I've only been there once now. I did not see that there was any particular attention given to high-end rums here, either.

#9 Park is a very trendy, sophisticated restaurant in downtown Boston, that I unfortunately did not have time to go into this trip (I had been here once before, but wasn't focused on my rum experience at that time). I would expect their bartenders would be well trained and knowledgeable.

I also did not get to Eastern Standard in Kenmore Sq., but my friends indicate it is a very good place to go to. Of interest to former Boston denizens, this is the location of the infamous Rat (Rathskellar), but ES couldn't be any more different.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Bars that appreciate RUM