MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

27 years ago in 1992, Lark Distillery was established on Tasmania.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum Rumors
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum Rumors

Things to look for in the world of rum.

Old 11-20-2007, 06:46 PM   #21
Troy

I couldn't resist. Just ordered two three packs from Shoppers Vineyard.

I love every Demerara rum that I have tried. I can't imagine that this won't be the same case.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:20 PM   #22
Matusalem

So what's the word on this stuff. Did anybody try any of it yet and if so what were / are the first impressions?
Matusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 07:44 PM   #23
Edward Hamilton
Founder

If you're looking for an extension of the heavy-hearted Demerara rums bottled under the El Dorado label you might be surprised. These are single barrel rums and not blended. The Single Barrel Rums I've tasted were lighter than the blended rums from El Dorado that I've loved for years but definitely interesting to see how things change if you don't blend in the heaviest rums in the warehouse.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:58 AM   #24
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

I had the pleasure of tasing all three last night and was distinctly unimpressed.

I expected the full flavoured, rich demerara flavours typical of ED but didn't get any. The Enmore had a very naval nose but seemed thin in flavour and had very little finish. The Port Morant and the Uitvlugt were similarly disappointing.

First Guyanese rums I've been unimpressed with.........still going to have to buy them for the collection but at Ј55 ex vat per bottle they aren't cheap.
Old 12-19-2007, 10:55 AM   #25
Matusalem

So then - it's not just me.

I thought they did however offer some insight as to how sophisticated the blending process might be. Are these three truly representative & common ingredients / components of a typical bottle of El Dorado's standard production rum?
Old 12-20-2007, 09:41 AM   #26
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Exactly what we were discussing today at the bar. While they don't stand up as individual bottles, they are a fascinating insight into the blending process
Old 12-20-2007, 10:32 AM   #27
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matusalem View Post
So then - it's not just me.

I thought they did however offer some insight as to how sophisticated the blending process might be. Are these three truly representative & common ingredients / components of a typical bottle of El Dorado's standard production rum?
Demerara Distillers, the company that distills, bottles and blends El Dorado rums owns a number of stills from companies it has acquired over the years. These single barrel rums are just one (lighter) component of the blends we know as El Dorado rums. Just as a chef rarely shares all of the ingredients of his award winning recipe or a magician shows the audience everything I wouldn't hold my breath while I wait for Demerara Distillers to tell me that there is 'x' amount of one of these rums in their 'y' product.

By carefully nosing and tasting these bottles you will have an opportunity to learn something new. I have been told that these aren't just barrels for which they had no other use. If these barrels hadn't been bottled as single barrels this rum would have gone into one of their blended products.

Blending is the key to bringing thousands of barrels together in a consistent marriage of flavor in the rum industry just as it is in the Scotch Whisky industry, wine and some other spirits industries.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 12-20-2007, 11:31 AM   #28
Matusalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I wouldn't hold my breath while I wait for Demerara Distillers to tell me that there is 'x' amount of one of these rums in their 'y' product.
I certainly don't expect that to come to light - at least not publicly and not with any factual basis.

Quote:
I have been told that these aren't just barrels for which they had no other use. If these barrels hadn't been bottled as single barrels this rum would have gone into one of their blended products.
This somewhat answers my question. Again, I think these 3 rums are educational, but as Pauli pretty much said, they aren't impressive if you hold them against the finished product standards of El Dorado's line. Your implication that the barrels used were not rejects or non product material indicates this is rum that would be found in El Dorado finished product.

From my own blending experience, I've learned that you can take less dimensional rums like these and blend them with perhaps mediocre (on their own) but particularly heavier molasses based rums and wind up with a very good & interesting spirit.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:35 PM   #29
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matusalem View Post
Your implication that the barrels used were not rejects or non product material indicates this is rum that would be found in El Dorado finished product.

From my own blending experience, I've learned that you can take less dimensional rums like these and blend them with perhaps mediocre (on their own) but particularly heavier molasses based rums and wind up with a very good & interesting spirit.
I've yet to meet a blender who would blend 'mediocre' rums with other rums and expect to get anything other than a mediocre rum. The weakest link is more than a theory when it comes to blending spirits. While some of the heaviest aged rums aren't very enjoyable on their own, they have attributes which would raise them from the mediocre status. Think of bitters in cocktails. a couple of drops can make or break a cocktail. But since it's only a couple of drops would you consider using the lowest quality bitters in drinks you plan on serving your guests?
Ministry of Rum

Old 12-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #30
Matusalem

Quote:
I've yet to meet a blender who would blend 'mediocre' rums with other rums and expect to get anything other than a mediocre rum. The weakest link is more than a theory when it comes to blending spirits. While some of the heaviest aged rums aren't very enjoyable on their own, they have attributes which would raise them from the mediocre status. Think of bitters in cocktails. a couple of drops can make or break a cocktail. But since it's only a couple of drops would you consider using the lowest quality bitters in drinks you plan on serving your guests?
This is an excellent point. No I would not use lowest quality bitters or the lowest quality side kicks to prepare a cocktail.

OTOH (on the other hand), there's an ocean of possibility between *lowest quality* and *mediocre*. To re-think your question, do you think Pyrat uses low quality rum that divides the field into "love it" / "hate it"? Or do you think maybe the rum is mediocre to those that do not care for it, as is? To me it's mediocre, but not necessarily because of quality corners being cut.

To go right to your point about bitters making & breaking the finished product and further use Pyrat as an example, take a current bottle of Pyrat, take a liter of any rum you choose and put one teaspoon of Pryat in that liter, I guarantee you can taste the influence immediately - you'll probably be able to smell it as well. It might be subtle but if you know the two brands (Pyrat & X) you'll recognize the influence without being a "super taster" or professional.

Another point to pay attention to is although some of us find Pyrat mediocre by our own self-described rum standards, it is not one dimensional or lacking in the dimensional department at all. Except for the teaspoon or splash of influence when / where wanted, I don't find Pyrat to be a good component for my blending purposes.

I've had much better success taking a darker rum and blending it downward with lighter rums that otherwise don't have the kind of character I'd put in a glass on its own. The finished product is often a sip-able item.

Now, just as the lighter rum(s) might not be sip-able stand-alone, often I use a dark rum that I wouldn't necessarily sip either - usually it would be something that is heavy and molasses forward. I like my pancakes drizzled with syrup - not my syrup drizzled with pancakes if you can understand what I'm trying to say.

To be clearer when I said mediocre, I didn't mean to imply terrible quality rubbing alcohol, I meant things that probably don't have the amount of character I'm looking for.

Last edited by Matusalem; 12-20-2007 at 01:03 PM.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum Rumors