MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

106 years ago in 1913, Destileria Colombiana was established in Columbia.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

White Rums

Whether you call them, clear, silver, white or simple 'see through' how do you drink them?

Old 11-08-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRumelier View Post
Having attended Bacardi conferences and having regular meetings with their reps they see vodka as their main competition to Bacardi Superior. This was a good reason to buy Grey Goose and attempt to buy Absolut. They also introduced their flavoured rums to compete against the influx of flavoured vodkas. I guess it's who can sell the most liquor for the cocktail market. In fairness Bacardi Superior has not been promoted as a sipping rum but always as the main ingredient in a good cocktail. I personally do not drink a great deal of white rum, but both Matusalem and Bacardi have a prominent position on my bar for when I fancy a rum and coke with a twist of lime. That actually sounds pretty good right now!!
P.S. The Reserva Limitada is now my Bacardi of choice!!
Hey Rumelier - did Bacardi "Xtreme" ever make it to where you live? That was the "dry" rum that was supposed to appeal to vodka drinkers. A horrible "lead balloon" for Bacardi. Of course, that was years ago, before they bought Grey Goose.
Old 11-08-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
In the distribution end of the business, store owners across the US have told me about salespeople requiring them to have x number of Bacardi facings (bottles) in the rum section of the store if they want to get a good price on Grey Goose or in order to even get the amount of Grey Goose that they have ordered.
Certainly Bacardi sees Grey Goose as competition to their Superior, but someone seems to be playing this for all its worth in the distribution tier of the business.
The bottom line is that no liquor store can afford to tell the salesperson that they aren't going to be bullied and no order Grey Goose or Bacardi from a distributor that also carries other products that they need to have in stock in order to remain in business.
Wow, Ed, that's scary. I thought that those old-fashioned "strong arm" tactics were a thing of the past. Sorry to hear that they are both alive and well.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #13
TheRumelier

No it didn't. Sounds like I did not miss much though!!
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:11 AM   #14
Dood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Riley View Post
Wow, Ed, that's scary. I thought that those old-fashioned "strong arm" tactics were a thing of the past. Sorry to hear that they are both alive and well.
This blatant, and borderline if not outright illegal, form of extortion is all too common in the liquor business from what I'm told. It happens in liquor stores, bars, restaurants...

"We hear Brand X is selling really well and you have it prominently featured. We'd like you to move us into that space, and as a reward for being such a great customer, we'd like to discount your next 20 cases of one of the most popular spirits on the market by 50%."

And we wonder why some of the most popular spirits stay that way.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:27 AM   #15
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Hi Dood

Forgot to mention in a previous thread that you never need apologize. You have been a consistent booster of my threads and comments so the occasional bark from you doesn't bother me. I just bark back and expect that two old wolves like us remain friends.

On your comment about sneaky tactics, they are well known everywhere. A Diageo rep recently implied to me that although they bought the rights to market Pampero Brand outside of Venezuela, they have no plans to do so in my locale. The Reason: Why give Captain Morgan competition?

Now maybe this rep was drinking to much at the show and didn't know his ass from his face.... But I sure haven't seen any of the newer Pampero labels in the stores. (I have heard that Diageo used a similar strategy in the Scotch Whiskey industry, basically buying smaller boutique distilleries just to mothball them so that only their major brands would survive.)

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 11-10-2009 at 02:30 AM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 02:57 AM   #16
Craig_Hochscheid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
In the distribution end of the business, store owners across the US have told me about salespeople requiring them to have x number of Bacardi facings (bottles) in the rum section of the store if they want to get a good price on Grey Goose or in order to even get the amount of Grey Goose that they have ordered.
Certainly Bacardi sees Grey Goose as competition to their Superior, but someone seems to be playing this for all its worth in the distribution tier of the business.
The bottom line is that no liquor store can afford to tell the salesperson that they aren't going to be bullied and no order Grey Goose or Bacardi from a distributor that also carries other products that they need to have in stock in order to remain in business.
Ed, I see this everyday out in the trade, and the strong arming is only being exacerbated by the pace of supplier and wholesaler consolidation. Frankly, the Justice Department should enforced the anti-trust provisions of American law and take action to break up monopolies like Southern Wine & Spirits & AB-Inbev. These two corporations in particular are single handedly controlling huge swaths of the industry. This is completely unacceptable.

OK, that was my "you kids get off of my lawn!" moment for this week.
Craig_Hochscheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #17
Dood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
Hi Dood

Forgot to mention in a previous thread that you never need apologize. You have been a consistent booster of my threads and comments so the occasional bark from you doesn't bother me. I just bark back and expect that two old wolves like us remain friends.

On your comment about sneaky tactics, they are well known everywhere. A Diageo rep recently implied to me that although they bought the rights to market Pampero Brand outside of Venezuela, they have no plans to do so in my locale. The Reason: Why give Captain Morgan competition?

Now maybe this rep was drinking to much at the show and didn't know his ass from his face.... But I sure haven't seen any of the newer Pampero labels in the stores. (I have heard that Diageo used a similar strategy in the Scotch Whiskey industry, basically buying smaller boutique distilleries just to mothball them so that only their major brands would survive.)
Diageo does seem interested in some of the higher-end rum brands they've acquired - specifically Oronoco and Zacapa. I've seen a lot more effort from Diageo with those two brands than with Pampero (which is to say that I've seen effort, period).

I think that Diageo may be coming around to the idea that they can have other rums without competing directly with Captain because Zacapa/Oronoco/Pampero appeal to a completely different market segment. It's possible that where you are, they don't see that segment as being big enough to risk "confusing" the consumer with choice.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #18
Matusalem

Aside from being able to confirm that the described tactics remain very much a part of business today, and it isn't limited to Diageo or rums - I have some other thoughts but wouldn't want to give Diageo and 'bright ideas' as I'm sure they have people that can read somewhere in the personnel tree.

This may just be my own personal slant and perhaps a penchant to prefer old stuff or what I'm used to but I thought Zacapa slid the minute Diageo's name was mentioned. Then Zaya got nixed (the Guatemalan production - which I'm sure was no coincidence), and from what I heard Montecristo got the axe too.

I liked the original bottles of Oronoco I had most. Pampero, as much as it is raved about and I still think it is damn good rum, but I enjoyed the taste of Pampero much more going maybe 5-6+ years back. Just a few examples but the truth is I've grown skeptical every time Diageo's name is mentioned in conjunction with some rum merger or acquisition or distribution change etc.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums