MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

19 years ago in 2000, the Roig sugar factory in Yabucoa and the Coloso factory in Aguada, not far from where the first sugar cane had been brought to the island 385 years before, closed.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

White Rums

Whether you call them, clear, silver, white or simple 'see through' how do you drink them?

Old 10-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Default Ron Matusalem Platino

In the vein of pkazimir's post on Barcelo Gran Platinum, I sat down with some friends and tried one of these Vodka substitutes, Ron Matusalem Platino. The results were a little surprising. I actually enjoyed this Vodka substitute far more than would be implied by my response in the Barcelo Gran Platinum post would imply.

I recorded my first impressions in my Rumhowler blog

First Impressions: Ron Matusalem Platino

Any one else with impressions of the Platino from Matusalem.

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 10-22-2009 at 01:12 AM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:15 AM   #2
Michael

Please excuse my ignorance, but why do you assume that Ron Matusalem Platino was made as a vodka substitute? I had thought that it was a Cuban style white rum made in the DR. It is a standby in our house for a Cuba Libre and has often subbed in cocktail use for the unobtainable Cuban whites.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
Arctic Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but why do you assume that Ron Matusalem Platino was made as a vodka substitute? I had thought that it was a Cuban style white rum made in the DR. It is a standby in our house for a Cuba Libre and has often subbed in cocktail use for the unobtainable Cuban whites.
It is not an assumption.

To quote from the Ron Matusalem Website:

"Platino is a discerning trade up for standard rum drinkers and a sophisticated alternative to premium vodka drinkers. Enjoy Platino mixed in your favorite cocktails."

I guess you never followed the link to the article on my blog where the Ron Matusalem Platino link was provided. Although to be fair the website suggests they are attempting to provide an alternative to premium vodka and not a substitute for run of the mill vodkas as I may have implied. So your comment was fair.

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 10-23-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:04 AM   #4
Michael

No offense, but I don't have the time to pull you up short tonight. Enjoy your Matusalem.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:00 AM   #5
RonJames

Im glad this topic came up. Last night I think I made my 1st good daiquiri which leads us to a good discussion. What rum to use for a daiquiri? I would think a white, light, crisp (vodka like) rum would be preferable to say a heavier white rum. I might just have to give matusalem white a try, as I haven't seen Havana club around since the beetles 1st hit the scene.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Arctic Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post
No offense, but I don't have the time to pull you up short tonight. Enjoy your Matusalem.
Don't worry, I'm not offended. I just like to give props to my new blog and try to coerce people into reading it. Like I said earlier I thought your comment was fair, based upon the poor wording I chose in the initial post.
Old 11-07-2009, 04:04 PM   #7
Dood

I think that what you're seeing with Matusalem's wording is more of a rum trying to find elbow room in a market dominated by neutral spirits like vodka and Bacardi Silver.

Obviously they can't compare themselves to Bacardi and give people the notion of "Why don't I just buy the bat?" so they have to compare themselves to something like the V word to get people interested.

Or at least that's how they see it. Personally, I'd prefer it if rums would work to pull the vodka market away from vodka, rather than trying to move towards it.

Focus on what makes you different from vodka - like the existence of flavor.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Edward Hamilton
Founder

About 8 years ago I was in NY where the Matusalem manager from Skyy told me that Matusalem was three-times distilled in the DR.
My first response was, you must have come from the vodka industry. Which he confirmed.
After spending many months in the DR, I had never seen a three column still in that country so I asked who distilled Matusalem. I've yet to get an answer but they are clearly trying to play the light x-times distilled vodka angle, which just doesn't work in the rum industry.
Matusalem Platino is a fine spirit if you're a vodka drinker looking to move to rum, at a better price. For me, I prefer more rum flavor.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 11:30 AM   #9
TheRumelier

Having attended Bacardi conferences and having regular meetings with their reps they see vodka as their main competition to Bacardi Superior. This was a good reason to buy Grey Goose and attempt to buy Absolut. They also introduced their flavoured rums to compete against the influx of flavoured vodkas. I guess it's who can sell the most liquor for the cocktail market. In fairness Bacardi Superior has not been promoted as a sipping rum but always as the main ingredient in a good cocktail. I personally do not drink a great deal of white rum, but both Matusalem and Bacardi have a prominent position on my bar for when I fancy a rum and coke with a twist of lime. That actually sounds pretty good right now!!
P.S. The Reserva Limitada is now my Bacardi of choice!!
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Edward Hamilton
Founder

In the distribution end of the business, store owners across the US have told me about salespeople requiring them to have x number of Bacardi facings (bottles) in the rum section of the store if they want to get a good price on Grey Goose or in order to even get the amount of Grey Goose that they have ordered.
Certainly Bacardi sees Grey Goose as competition to their Superior, but someone seems to be playing this for all its worth in the distribution tier of the business.
The bottom line is that no liquor store can afford to tell the salesperson that they aren't going to be bullied and no order Grey Goose or Bacardi from a distributor that also carries other products that they need to have in stock in order to remain in business.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums