MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

14 years ago in 2005, Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy built the 10 Cane distillery in Trinidad.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

White Rums

Whether you call them, clear, silver, white or simple 'see through' how do you drink them?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #11
Edoc

This rum is hitting the shelves of several liquor stores near me. I'd probably bite if it were a bit cheaper. When it comes to white rum, I'm pretty stingy.
Edoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:11 AM   #12
Tiare

I got a smaller bottle with me from the Tales, i think it tastes very good, lots of flavor and not too harsh. Would be a great mixing rum first of all, but can be sipped.I can imagine it would make a great Mo-Tai, gotta try that one..

Or even better, make Bar Toniques Witchdoctor with it, replacing the Batavia Arrak:

1 oz Banks, 1 oz Smith&Cross, .75 oz basil syrup, 1 oz fresh lime, top with soda, garnish basil leaves.

I can safely say that i would buy me one if i could and if it wasn`t way too costly.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #13
Edoc

I finally decided to pick up a bottle. This is a white rum with noticeable dark rum character. Part of the blend is Jamaican rum, and I think the Jamaican pot-stilled rum dominates, while the lighter, fruitier trinidad/guyana rum imparts its notes on the finish. Overall it's a verrry nice white (although it could be cheaper). It's actually what I expected the Appleton White to taste like--a silver with a discernable pot-stilled taste-- but was surprised to find the Appleton offering to be delicious and clean.
In any case, I made a generous handful of daiquiris with Banks this evening, and I'd be happy to stock up on it if it were in the lower $20 range. Even so, it's very good white rum with character-- and I'm not at all displeased that I sprung for it.
Old 11-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #14
krustykrab

Went to a Banks tasting / launch party last night in Boston. This was my first chance to try this rum and it was quite nice. As has been said, had a lot of dark rum character in the nose and initial taste - the Jamaican pot still rum dominates, but it does finish clean and smooth, and quite dry. They served up a half dozen pre-scribed cocktails to highlight the rum. I thoroughly enjoyed the classic daiquiri made with the Banks, as well as several other of the 'signature' cocktails on the list. Others were not so great, including a simple rum punch which I was disappointed in. I tried to persuade the bartended to make me a 'Mo-tai' but he was to stick to the prescribed cocktail list. Oh, well, I'll have to do it myself...!

As far as this rum's place, based on the HEAVY marketing that is going into the design, creation of the brand, and promotion, I would say that this is being targeted at higher end bars and restaurants for cocktails and not the 'average' consumer. Also, based on the SRP of $28, I am not sure how they are going to compete on the shelves when one can obtain El Dorado 3yr cask aged white, or Appleton white, among others for half the price!?!

Was it good? Heck yeah! Will it fly off the shelves at $28 - doubt it, (think Oronoco...) but it was a great chance getting to know a new rum offering.
krustykrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:17 PM   #15
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Thanks for the observations krustykrab. I tend to agree with you that at $28 it's going to be a tough sell, but all that marketing costs money.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:21 PM   #16
Edoc

Just following up on this thread. After forgetting about if for a while, I notice that I had a third of a bottle of Banks in the back of my cabinet. It. Is. Fine. A very nice rum, which I wish were cheaper BUT do not at all regreat buying at the $30 range. Finishing this bottle I am immediately grabbed by the urge to replenish asap. A sign of a worthy bottle. Perhaps I'm just prejudiced against whites.

Last edited by Edoc; 01-06-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: Devil rum infected my brain and created evil typos. Had an extra glass for Jesus.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #17
djmont

Anyone have any recent thoughts on this rum? I saw it recommended in a recent taste test (in cocktails) and thought I might try it. But it seems pricey at $28.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:00 PM   #18
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

I sampled Banks 5 Island side by side with 10 Cane and Denizen last winter. I wasn't really disappointed but I wasn't overly impressed either. Of the three I liked Denizen the best, but I never really had the urge to seek any of the three out. I still like the FDC 4 year Dry and the ED 3 as my fav white rums, but I guess it is a matter of whether you want something funky going on or not. Banks, Denizen and 10 Cane all have funky flavour, but I found them hard to mix in anything other than daiquiri style drinks. When I want something funky in my white rum, I tend to go with the Mount Gay Silver Eclipse, which has some of that pot still funk, but remains very versatile as a mixer.
Old 10-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #19
djmont

Thanks! That's exactly what I wanted to know.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:54 AM   #20
Tiare

Try a Banks and Ting, it´s refreshing, make it the same way as you would a JWray and Ting or Rumfire and Ting.

It`s just that this isn´t an overproof rum so use 2 oz then top with Ting. Simple and good.

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums