MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

14 years ago in 2005, Louis Vuitton Moet Hennessy built the 10 Cane distillery in Trinidad.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum Rumors
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum Rumors

Things to look for in the world of rum.

Old 11-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr
Default Zacapa Centenario XO tasted

My son Robert and I had the great pleasure recently of attending a special dinner celebrating one of Coral Gables' sister cities: La Antigua Guatemala. The highlight of the event was a presentation by Lorena Vasquez, Zacapa's master blender featuring a preview of the new Zacapa Centenario XO premium rum, based on her new 30 year old blend.

Along with many dignitaries at the event, from both Guatemala and Coral Gables, we were given a taste of Zacapa 15, then 23, then XO as Lorena gave a presentation on the method of creating the rums from Sugar Cane syrup, which she refers to as "Sugar Cane Honey," that is, the juice of the cane with most of the water removed. The color is somewhat like a medium dark honey with a honey-like viscosity. This allows them to make rum from the full sugar content of the cane juice year 'round.

To say the least, we were astounded by the new product and enjoyed the presentation and the opportunity to interact with the master blender.

I'm told we'll have the new Zacapa Centenario XO product, in an impressive bottle reminiscent of fine cognac with the characteristic royal palm weave embodied in the glass, in South Florida by early 2008. I can't wait.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 06:32 PM   #2
RumBarPhilly

Wow, I have heard this rumor, its great to see somebody has tasted the product! How would you compare it to their two previous rums?
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:09 AM   #3
RobertBurr

Default Comparing Zacapa Rums

Simply put, tasting the Zacapa XO versus the world standard 23 was like comparing the 23 to the 15. It was more mature, more complex, more satisfying and gave me a greater appreciation for the talents of the master blender, the technology, the methods and the dedication they bring to the art of producing fine rum.

It will be available in limited quantities in South Florida first (luckily for me), then NY and other markets in the future. I'll be hosting a tasting event in February for Gifted Rums of Guatemala and look forward to bringing this product to the attention of many friends and fellow rum enthusiasts.

http://www.giftedrums.com
Old 11-13-2007, 01:27 AM   #4
Dood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertBurr View Post
It will be available in limited quantities in South Florida first (luckily for me), then NY and other markets in the future. I'll be hosting a tasting event in February for Gifted Rums of Guatemala and look forward to bringing this product to the attention of many friends and fellow rum enthusiasts.
You know...living on the West Coast certainly can have its disadvantages.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:23 AM   #5
RumBarPhilly

Robert,

Have you ever heard any rumor to zacapa, botran any many others closing shop due to economic and political instability?

Or could the success of such companies help this nation's economy?

Cause I'd sure hate to lose Guatamala as a rum resource. As my 10th grade art teacher would say to every piece of art anybody showed him, "It's the best!!"
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:46 AM   #6
Aaron Wolin

Fantastic news! I can't wait to try it when it comes to Texas.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
RobertBurr

Default Zacapa XO Landed In Coral Gables

Wow! Just received a bottle of the new Zacapa Centenario XO. I feel like Santa Claus got my note.

This rum is so intriguing, with a sweet front end, rich, thick viscosity, warm tones of oak barrel and a super-smooth finish. It's a step beyond the classic Zacapa 23 and should sell for twice the price when it officially arrives in February.

The bottle looks like a fine cognac, with an excellent long cork crystal stopper. The signature palm weave design is embossed in the body of the glass bottle, the gold ring around the neck and the stopper.

There is no age statement on this bottle. The box, in Spanish, says it's made from rums aged more than 25 years.

If anyone is coming through Miami, stop by for a taste. I'm only ten minutes from the airport.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1519ZacapaXO640.jpg (41.2 KB, 24 views)
Old 01-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
Matusalem

This is new to the US market and it looks like the glassware design is as well, but in truth, Zacapa X.O. was available in a decanter style bottle on the German market going years back. That's where I first got a taste of this and El Dorado's old 21 year rum.

Here's a photo of the product listed as you described (25 years old) taken back around 2002.

Based on your description, it sounds like it is still fantastic rum.
Matusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #9
RobertBurr

Default Zacapa XO

I've seen the old bottle for the XO like your photo, but rarely at retailers in the US; almost always in the islands.

My bottle could be the same rum old XO in a new bottle, or it could be the new formula in a new bottle. I'll compare it to the product that starts shipping in the US in the coming months and post a comment.
Old 01-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #10
Edward Hamilton
Founder

In 2001 there was a 25 year old Zacapa in a square glass decanter. It was a little sweeter than their Centenario but that was a few years ago.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum Rumors