MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

124 years ago in 1895, Destilerias Arehucas, S.A. was establihsed in the Canary Islands.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

White Rums

Whether you call them, clear, silver, white or simple 'see through' how do you drink them?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #11
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbuzbee View Post
Oh yeah, they also had a different Cruzan Aged Light that didn't say 14 months. It said a year.... I know, only 2 months less but....

Ken
I haven't seen that one yet. Last month I was in NY and caught up with Gary Nelthropp, the president and distiller at Cruzan. Now that you've got some Cruzan rum in your glass, you might be interested in the interview I did with him. Just scroll down below the interview with David Morrison.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #12
Dood

I'm a big fan of the Cruzan light, though I still default to the El Dorado 3 Year Old for white rums when possible.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:04 AM   #13
kbuzbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by leisure master View Post
It may not be the best thing you ever had, but it is most certainly worth $15 - and you get a great re-usable bottle for bar syrups, etc!
Well, I spent some time with the Oronoco last night and I think your summary is dead on. It's good. Quite good. Very smooth. Light and easy to drink. Not overly serious or complex but a nice, easy drink.

I actually didn't get much vanilla out of it (some but not like a couple of my favorite bourbons). There is an odd undercurrent that seems to come from woody notes (but not the charred oak I'm used to - something else). Does anyone else get that?

Would I buy another bottle for $40? Probably not. But for $15 it's definitely worth keeping on the bar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I haven't seen that one yet.
Gary addressed it in your interview. He says the label says one year but it's actually a blend of 14-24 mo.... I'll have to try the newer expression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Last month I was in NY and caught up with Gary Nelthropp, the president and distiller at Cruzan.
That's a good interview. He's very personable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dood View Post
I still default to the El Dorado 3 Year Old for white rums when possible.
I'll have to try that one.

Thanks all,

Ken
Old 12-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #14
smedley61

"Gary addressed it in your interview. He says the label says one year but it's actually a blend of 14-24 mo...."

Owing to my 'connection' with St. John,USVI, Cruzan Estate Light has been my 'house' white rum for a number of years. So, is there a difference in aging between the 'old' 2yr and 'new' one year ? (One would think that the 2 year had rums at least two years old.....) If so, I wonder what Cruzan's reasoning was for a younger bottling of their Estate Light.

Thanks,

Smeedley61

smedley61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:56 PM   #15
Stamina1914

Quote:
Originally Posted by smedley61 View Post
"Gary addressed it in your interview. He says the label says one year but it's actually a blend of 14-24 mo...."

Owing to my 'connection' with St. John,USVI, Cruzan Estate Light has been my 'house' white rum for a number of years. So, is there a difference in aging between the 'old' 2yr and 'new' one year ? (One would think that the 2 year had rums at least two years old.....) If so, I wonder what Cruzan's reasoning was for a younger bottling of their Estate Light.

Thanks,

Smeedley61

Don't know if it wasn't more a product of a need than a choice. Cruzan has been doing extremeley well with US Sales; maybe they just could not afford to age their rums as long as they wanted to to keep up with demand.5
Old 02-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #16
smedley61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamina1914 View Post
Don't know if it wasn't more a product of a need than a choice. Cruzan has been doing extremeley well with US Sales; maybe they just could not afford to age their rums as long as they wanted to to keep up with demand.5
That's an interesting thought; also, I preferred their previous packaging.
All this being, said, its still and excellent product. All of the Cruzan rums are incredibly inexpensive in the USVI, and they rule the mixed drinks market there.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:18 PM   #17
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley

While probably less available, the Sunset Light Rum from St. Vincent and the Grenadines is a bargain, less expensive than Bacardi, though I prefer their Captain Bligh Gold Rum myself.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #18
smedley61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Riley View Post
While probably less available, the Sunset Light Rum from St. Vincent and the Grenadines is a bargain, less expensive than Bacardi, though I prefer their Captain Bligh Gold Rum myself.

A few months ago, I went to a charity event that had a table hosted by
the distributors of those St. Vincent rums. They were quite good;unfortunately, they are not found in the Virginia ABC stores (They have a rather pathetic selection of quality rum vs., say vodka....). So it will have to wait until I make into DC and get to Ace Beverages and see if they have it (I also will get a bottle of Angostura 'Royal Oak' so I can replicate some classic Trader Vic cocktails that called for 'Siegert's Bouquet'). In the mean time, I'll just have to 'suffer' with Cruzan Light.

http://ministryofrum.com/forums/imag...lies/glass.gif
Old 02-15-2010, 09:43 PM   #19
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamina1914 View Post
Don't know if it wasn't more a product of a need than a choice. Cruzan has been doing extremely well with US Sales; maybe they just could not afford to age their rums as long as they wanted to to keep up with demand.5
If the proposed expansion in capacity of Cruzan takes hold then perhaps they will be able to lay down some stocks for further ageing.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #20
Edward Hamilton
Founder

That's part of the plan. It's difficult to put more rum away when you don't have the production capacity to do so.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums