MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

14 years ago in 2005, Graham Barnes Distilling was established in Austin, California.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Bars that appreciate RUM
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Bars that appreciate RUM

A growing number of bars appreciate rum, and and we appreciate them.

Old 12-19-2007, 05:50 PM   #11
RumBarPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
It isn't nearly as hard to put together a large list as it is to know what to do with it. As sailors know, the size of the yacht matters, but it's the motion on the ocean that makes the difference.
Well then as long as I continue learning about every aspect of rum and I continue to know the products offered, I should be fine. It's hard to find bartenders who are smart enough to learn the products they sell, even when their boss engraves it into their skull. I've got two amazing bartenders, who work most nights, but then there's the bartender at a nearby bar who, when my buddy asked about Oronoco, she told him it was a Brazilian cachaça, like Pitu or 51. I later whispered the difference to ...

I cringed when she compared Oronoco to Pitu, like comparing Magic Hat to Budweiser, because they're both made in the US. (Yes, I'm a big magic hat fan)
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #12
ejellest

I'm pretty excited about the recent opening of Beretta in San Francisco.

Thad Vogler, who is the bar manager, has opened some of the best bars in San Francisco. Not only that, but he has worked at many of the rest.

It seems like he has taken the lessons he has learned at each and applied them to Beretta.

He has a fantastic selection of new world spirits concentrating on cane. He is only using fresh fruit for juice. I think all, or most of it, is organic. He has hired some of the best bartenders in San Francisco to execute the drinks.

His list of drinks is also impressive and very tasty.

Plus, special bonus, it is not that far from my house and pretty much along my commute home. Woo!

~Erik
Old 05-21-2008, 09:37 PM   #13
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I've only heard of Baretta but not yet gone there. Thad was one of the first bar manager in the US to put rhum agricole in his well. While I didn't think that was really the way to go, who am I to argue with a guy that's bigger than me.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 09:00 AM   #14
Colin

I love going to San Francisco. I'm from Santa Barbara originally, so it was only a few hours driving before I moved north. I went back a couple months ago. My friend took me to a spot in North Beach called Cigar Bar and Grill that was lovely. The two drinks I had were a passion fruit caipirinha and a margarita that had Hendricks gin and cucumber added to it.

I also found a great bar there a few years ago. I can't remember the name, but I think it was near the Mission district. The bartender was nursing a hangover when we arrived and was speaking in a fake British accent. She was excellent — she made a tasty pepper-infused Aviation and a classic mai tai, as well as an array of drinks involving blood oranges, the fresh ingredient she had on hand that day. I wish I could remember the name of the place.
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 02:26 PM   #15
ejellest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
I've only heard of Baretta but not yet gone there. Thad was one of the first bar manager in the US to put rhum agricole in his well. While I didn't think that was really the way to go, who am I to argue with a guy that's bigger than me.
He's still at it. He's got an excellent Moscow Mule/Mojito type drink on the Beretta menu called the Agricole Mule.

I don't remember off hand which agricole rum he is using in it. La Favorite Amber sort of rings a bell. I'd have to double check to know for sure.

~Erik
Old 05-22-2008, 02:29 PM   #16
ejellest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin View Post
[...]
I also found a great bar there a few years ago. I can't remember the name, but I think it was near the Mission district. The bartender was nursing a hangover when we arrived and was speaking in a fake British accent. She was excellent — she made a tasty pepper-infused Aviation and a classic mai tai, as well as an array of drinks involving blood oranges, the fresh ingredient she had on hand that day. I wish I could remember the name of the place.
Given your description, that sounds like Alberta Straub at the Orbit Room.

Unfortunately, she's no longer there. Last I talked to her, she was in Brooklyn looking for a new venue. The Orbit Room can sometimes still be a good bar, but it is highly variable depending on who's tending.

~Erik
Old 05-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #17
Tiare

If you want to know for sure if it was Alberta Straub you can check her videos here:

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:17 AM   #18
Colin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejellest View Post
Given your description, that sounds like Alberta Straub at the Orbit Room.

Unfortunately, she's no longer there. Last I talked to her, she was in Brooklyn looking for a new venue. The Orbit Room can sometimes still be a good bar, but it is highly variable depending on who's tending.

~Erik
That's her (confirmed by the video)! I kept thinking Moon Room for some reason and couldn't find it on Google. She was an awesome bartender. My sister and I ended up ditching our plans for the afternoon and spent about six hours there. She had a few friends come in and was chatting them up while bitching about her hangover from partying too much the night before and inventing new drinks for me using her produce finds. She asked me what flavors I liked and then started mixing up drinks seemingly by intuition — as if guided by some spirit of spirits —*and they all came out great.

If I make a trip to New York, I'll have to check out her new location.

Tiare: Thanks for the video link. I'm going to watch all of those.
Colin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:27 PM   #19
primate77

Some interesting videos... floating in and out of different accents and speaking about herself in third person kind of strange though.

Me thinks she's been doing a lot of sampling her own products while shooting video!!!
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:42 PM   #20
Edward Hamilton
Founder

It's a small world. I met Alberta Straub at the Pegu Club Tuesday evening. Her producer was with her, they're looking for some new sponsors, seems like that's the way of the world these days in the video business.

Alberta was surprised that I knew who she was, and I owe it to Tiare who posted a link to her website. She doesn't have any new material posted as of late, but is looking to do more in the future.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Bars that appreciate RUM