MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

12 years ago in 2008, Drum Circle Distilling Co. was established in Sarasota, Florida.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #1
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Default Review: Ron Zacapa XO (25 Year Solero)

Here is an excerpt from the review:

"This is so soft and smooth in the mouth, a silky suave feeling that coats the palate with a thick honey like sweetness. There is so much going on here; we have dried currants and apricot brandy melted into toasted chestnuts and deep dark brown sugar. Oranges and marshmallows lie under soft cinnamon and nutmeg spices with just a whisper of allspice and cloves..."

Read More Here...

Review: Ron Zacapa XO
Old 01-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #2
UnkleNeeko

Bravo! I am amazed and impressed at the depth in which you are able identify so many subtle flavors for any specific rum. I have read a few other reviews of yours as well in order to develop a method to this (pleasureable) madness.

How long have you been refining this art? I am still farely new to tasting and teasing out the "soft" notes in rums I taste. I find that my tongue or perhaps my mind becomes conditioned after the first 2-3 neat tastes and have to re-attempt the tasting at a later point Any tips?

I couldn't stop drinking it and I agree with with you on the silky texture, honey and allspice notes, but cannot find the oranges or marshmellows lying underneath !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Wolf View Post
Here is an excerpt from the review:

"This is so soft and smooth in the mouth, a silky suave feeling that coats the palate with a thick honey like sweetness. There is so much going on here; we have dried currants and apricot brandy melted into toasted chestnuts and deep dark brown sugar. Oranges and marshmallows lie under soft cinnamon and nutmeg spices with just a whisper of allspice and cloves..."

Read More Here...

Review: Ron Zacapa XO
UnkleNeeko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #3
Arctic Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnkleNeeko View Post
Bravo! I am amazed and impressed at the depth in which you are able identify so many subtle flavors for any specific rum. I have read a few other reviews of yours as well in order to develop a method to this (pleasureable) madness.

How long have you been refining this art? I am still farely new to tasting and teasing out the "soft" notes in rums I taste. I find that my tongue or perhaps my mind becomes conditioned after the first 2-3 neat tastes and have to re-attempt the tasting at a later point Any tips?

I couldn't stop drinking it and I agree with with you on the silky texture, honey and allspice notes, but cannot find the oranges or marshmellows lying underneath !!!

Thanks for the kind words UkcleNeeko

My ability to taste and smell different flavours and aromas, I believe is some kind of inherent ability. I have always been a very finicky person with respect to food and beverage. I have always smelled and tasted things that others could not, sometimes to my delight, sometimes to my detriment. I remember after my house was built I called the gas company after I moved in because I could smell that distinctive smell of a gas leak, although no one else could. When the gas company arrived even their their equipment could not detect the leak, but I followed the fittings with my nose and found it, then proved it with soapy water on the fitting. Its the same with food. I remember refusing to eat some homemade sausage as a kid, I got a big whack on my rump from my dad for being so obnoxious. But the next day I was the only one who was not sick.

Where my skill has increased markedly in the last six months is in the identification of these tastes and smells. In my first reviews, I would tend to say, things like "I detect on offnote of bitterness". But reading other persons reviews and discussing the flavours I taste on this forum has helped me greatly to ferret out these illusive flavours. Now I might say "I detect the taste of copper tubing which give the drink a lurking bitterness".

I also find patience and honesty is a great virtue, returning to the rum five or six times before I write the review helps to tease out the flavours. Now I am more confident in what I taste and smell and actually dare to write it down. I also have learned not to be scared of being honest at the expense of occasionally getting it wrong, as my honest impressions have always seemed to get someone saying, "Hey, I taste that too."

And you are right. This is an immensely pleasurable hobby!!

Old 01-25-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
Calgaryx

So Chip, where did you come across the XO? I have been trying to get my hands on a bottle. I aquired a bottle of the Zacapa 15 from a friend who had in his liquour cabinet (I traded him a bottle of Santa Teresa for it). I have looked in most provinces and in San Francisco and Phoenix on travels but have come up dry.
Calgaryx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 06:45 PM   #5
Arctic Wolf

Hi Calgaryx

Having a blog has many advantages. The front page stories on my blog here and here explain how and Why I got this lovely bottle.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
Jason

Wow. Who would of thought we'd have a Secret Rum Society here in Edmonton. Very cool.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf