MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

10 years ago in 2009, Desert Diamond Distillery was established in Kingman, Arizona.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2010, 04:12 PM   #21
PopolZ

Now I get it! Thanks for the clarification

I thought my taste buds were playing tricks on me.

I'll have to try both version of the cocktail.

PopolZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #22
Edward Hamilton
Founder

In regards to Appleton rums in Canada being blended with Canadian rum, according to my best recollection the last time I spoke to David Morrison, none of the Appleton Estate Rums are blended at this time.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 11:21 PM   #23
Arctic Wolf
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
In regards to Appleton rums in Canada being blended with Canadian rum, according to my best recollection the last time I spoke to David Morrison, none of the Appleton Estate Rums are blended at this time.
It seems strange that my recently purchased, Appleton VX, contains the statement...

"Bottled for Wray and Nephew Canada Ltd, Mississauga, Ontario"

Whereas none of the other Appleton's I own have that statement on the bottle. Why bottle the Appleton VX in Canada, but not the others?
Old 12-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #24
Arctic Wolf

Default The Emperor Rum: Appleton 30

Now this is a special rum and I was determined to get the review right. To that end, my review of the Appleton 30 year Old Rum is based upon 5 independent tasting sessions in my private tasting room. As well I also carried out side by side tastings with several other well aged spirits which included two Scotch Whiskies (Mosstowie 1979 28 Yr, Cask No.s 12771 & 12772, Bottle No. 162, and Bunnahabhain 1978 29 Yr, Cask No. 2584, Bottle No. 275 of 581); one 30 year Old Canadian Whisky (Canadian Club 30 Year Old 150th Anniversary Edition); and one Dominican Rum (Oliver and Oliver, Opthimus 25). I felt it was important (even though I am a regular consumer of aged spirits) to compare the Appleton 30 Year old with other well aged spirits as part of the review process.

Here is an excerpt from my review:

"...The rum is a dark and rich reddish-brown colour which leaves a thick film on my glass when it is tilted. This film slowly releases thick fat legs back into the rum. As I watched the legs slowly crawl down the sides of the glass, the rum was bringing heavy notes of a woody sap and oak tannin to my nostrils...."

You may read the full review here:

Review: Appleton Estate Limited Edition 30 Year Old Rum

Last edited by Arctic Wolf; 12-19-2010 at 12:40 AM.
Arctic Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #25
Patapouf

Great review Arctic! You don't shy away of saying it like it is. Remembering your review of the 21, I figured this would be your conclusion. Many share your opinion of 'over-oaked' spirits so it's important for the readers to know this. Personnaly, I've never tasted anything older than 12yo, so I couldn't comment. In the end, it's all a matter of taste and I'm glad I can read great reviews like you do so I can have an idea what to expect while I, at the same time, make my own conclusions.

Patapouf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:12 AM   #26
Arctic Wolf

Thank you for the kind words Patapouf!

I completely agree that everyone should form their own opinions. My tastes and preferences after all are my own. I try to give the reader of my review a good idea of what to expect as far as flavour goes, but I would not doubt that some persons may read my review and decide that my description sounds like something they would want to try, others will decide the opposite.

Your point with respect to Appleton 21 is bang on. If someone has tried Appleton 21 and disagrees with my review then they will probably be better served to disregard this review as their palate would be entirely different from mine.

Cheers!
Old 01-22-2013, 08:06 PM   #27
Hellfire

Any idea where I'd be able to find a bottle of the 30 Year Old Appleton Estate in Edmonton?
Hellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #28
Arctic Wolf

Other than the spare bottle I have in my office I have no idea. Maybe check out the Chateau Lious as the always have a great selection.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Ministry of Rum Connoisseur's Cabinet > Arctic Wolf