MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

273 years ago in 1749, J. Wray & Nephew Limited was established on Jamaica.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum News

Links to articles about our favorite spirit

Old 01-15-2010, 09:41 PM   #21
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Thanks for taking the time to join us Clyde. And for those members, and lurkers, who don't know you how about taking a few minutes to introduce yourself in the Introduction section of the forums.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #22
neatdrinker

Arctic and Ron,
You are both on the mark with your comments. I am sure we are all warm and compassionate people here on the forum. Just look at the the comraderie that has developed between members around the globe.
I too am moved to sorrow and action re Haiti, but also had immediate thoughts not only of the Distillery, but of buying up Product that very well may be the last for a long while. It's just the way of the mind, not wrong in itself.
Perfect example to Arctic's "disassociation" readings-
I just retired from my 22 year career as a NY State Narcotics Det.
I was Under the Trade Center Tower Two when the 2nd plane hit, saw all the horror, received first hand news of the loss of Police and Firemen, walked through the Pit several times, and my office, 2 blocks away was out of commission for 3 weeks. One of my thoughts that very day was, my favorite Chinese restaurant, where I had lunch 2-3 times a week for years, across from the WTC was now gone, Where will I go now?
The mind, a very complicated and strange place. As a group, I am sure we will all do our part to help in our own ways. Just sincere Prayer is powerful. .
neatdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:31 PM   #23
Sluggonics

I think it's a natural response to tragedy-- the mind immediately tries to connect some element of the tragedy to our own daily lives, especially if that tragedy occurs somewhere outside of our daily lives.

Although neatdrinker's post actually indicates that even those directly involved in a major tragedy can also find themselves wondering about their own daily "routines".

I think it's a logical reaction, and not an emotional one.

I'm fascinated by history, and consider myself fairly obsessed with it, which is one of the reasons that the distillation of spirits in particular is so appealing-- there's so much history involved!-- so for me, having no personal ties to Haiti, I immediately saw the images of the destroyed national palace and placed it in a historical context-- that same mindset led me to immediately wonder about the Barbancourt distillery, and then immediately feel guilty about it.
Sluggonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #24
RonJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatdrinker View Post
Arctic and Ron,
You are both on the mark with your comments.
Thank you neat drinker. I think as humans we like routines, and don't like disruption in the routine. I know that beside the emotions I feel for those suffering, I also think to myself "this isn't right" and then think to myself what I can do to help make it right. My hopes go out to haiti, and although it will take a long time I am very interested to see what comes out of the rubble.
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #25
Rumpelteazer

I also thought about Barbancourt when I first heard about the Haitian earthquakes.

I hoped that Barbancourt had survived the earthquakes reasonably intact. So they could continue to employ large numbers of Haitians and provide them with living wages. So they could continue to be a substantial element of the Haitian economy. So their products could continue to be a point of pride to the Haitian people.

I did not think about running out and buying all the Barbancourt rums I could find, in a perverse hope that they would become rare and pricey.

I love Barbancourt rums and will continue to buy them when I see them in stores. And I will continue to pour them for my friends. And tell their story. And with each sip, I will think about all those hard-working Haitians that contribute to the making of those fine rums, despite great personal hardships.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #26
Joe Riley

Send a message via AIM to Joe Riley

Perhaps sensing what we've all been wondering, here's William M. Dowd with the answers:

"Here's the news from the Gardere family at Barbancourt in Haiti:

"Our reporter Hank Tester reports from Haiti that Barbancourt has suffered minor damage at their distillery and aging warehouses from the recent earthquake activities.

"There is plenty of aged rum to continue operations, although it's a struggle for employees who have been adversely affected to come to work.

"The company believes they have enough stock to remain viable for some time while they work hard to get their operations restored to full capacity soon. At the present time, there is plenty of Barbancourt Rhum in the United States and no shortage is anticipated."
Old 01-22-2010, 12:06 PM   #27
lperry

Sometimes when a disaster strikes an area where the people are strangers to us, a company like Barbancourt feels like our friend who may have been hurt in the chaos. Good news indeed.

Mr. lperry heads to Port au Prince tomorrow with a medical aid group. Here's to everyone involved in the aid effort.
lperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:13 PM   #28
RonJames

Here's to your husband
RonJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum News