MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

175 years ago in 1845, Distillerie Isautier was established on Reunion.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

White Rums

Whether you call them, clear, silver, white or simple 'see through' how do you drink them?

Old 03-12-2008, 12:54 AM   #11
primate77

Smile

Quote:
I did a blind taste-test of 6 whites a while back and I rated Ron Rio White (our well rum) higher than Bacardi. And unfortunately, until Jay Z raps about Oronoco, itll all be about Bacardi!

yyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeeaaaahhhhhhhhh bbbbbooooooooooooyyyyyyyy!!!!

I'd like to see the statistics on what age bracket is consuming the bulk of the alcohol. I'm under the impression that the largest segment is probably the 24-32 crowd, and they're heavily swayed by marketing. Heavy marketing and a heavy push on the distributors of the "big brands" is what will dominate the shelves of the liquor bar in any restaurant and bar.

I'm been taking a good look at the contents of bars as of late, and I see TONS of SKYY vodka and Stoli vodka along with the obigatory bottles of Grey Goose and Kettle One thrown in. For rum, there's about three versions of Bacardi with Silver and 151 being prominent.

It's not what's "good" it's what is marketed well and sells, and what Mindy, the recent college grad with the $53,000 starting salary as an executive secretary with a cool little loft apartment downtown feels "cool" with having in her hand is what sells.

I was blown away last week when I was at a Carrabba's (chain Italian) restaurant, and they actually had MG Eclipse behind the bar as one of their primary rums. That really surprised me.

This whole experiene is really kind of "cool" for me. I'm in my early 40's and really haven't touched hard alcohol since college, 20+ years ago, and you can bet back then it was Bacardi and cheap mezcal, and Gordon's gin and Fleischman's vodka (in the nice big plastic bottle), and having this wonderful eye-opening experience of quality alcohol.

Ah the young will learn - they only need to age a bit!
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:19 AM   #12
RumBarPhilly

I went to a Cheeseburger in Paradise some months back (first off, it wasnt like the original in Hawaii I went to on my honeymoon, this one sucked), and ordered an Eclipse and Diet.

After taking the order, the server than came back and asked "What was that you wanted again?" So instead of saying Eclipse and Diet, I said Mt Gay Eclipse and diet. He then came back a third time with a diet coke and said "Im sorry, we dont have mt gay gay eclipse, all we have is mt gay" I told him to throw it in a shot glass and Ill toss it into my soda.

Restaurants are TRYING to improve their rum selection, but the proper training still lacks.
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
bluewave6

I went to the Cheese Burger In Paradise around where I work and was quite impressed with the rum selection. They had Barbancourt 8 yr and 15 yr, Cruzan Diamond and SB, Mt Gay XO and Appelton VX and Reserve just to name a few. This was the largest rum selection I have seen in a restraunt in my area. They appear to have a contract deal with Cruzan I am assuming since that was their "standard" mixing rum instead of the usual Bacardi.
bluewave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
primate77

bluewave... maybe bars in places (like inside mainstream restaurants) that dont have the expectations of drawing in the young and hip crowd would consider refocusing on better quality liquors for "more seasoned" patrons, who would be more interested in getting that MG and coke rather than the Bacardi and Coke, or maybe even a snifter of some MG XO or other "higher end" rum?

These restaurant bars would probably end up with a more profitable till at the end of the night perhaps?

I know I've been taking notice of what's behind the bar a lot more often lately, and it's often really geared to the twenty-something crowd (no offense to any one of you in that age bracket)!!! But the twenty-somethings aren't likely to select Carrabbas or Cheesburger in Paradise as their ultimate drinking destination, are they?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #15
KINGSTON

One visit to Bacardi's Web Site and you can see they're after the 20-30 range (my generation).
KINGSTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #16
primate77

Red face

Well - I guess yours is the age bracket with all the disposable income!!!

I've gotta think about putting shoes on my kids feet, paying for college tuition and a wedding one day, making the mortgage payment, fixing the car...

Why did I ever grow up and get married? It would all be so much simpler if I only could think of which rum to buy next!
Old 03-16-2008, 02:40 AM   #17
KINGSTON

Morgage, two car payments, two kids and disposable income, SOME GUYS HAVE ALL THE LUCK!
KINGSTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 04:25 PM   #18
bluewave6

Picked up a bottle (and drank it all) while visiting So Cal last week. The rum was quite smooth and had strong flavor of vanilla, but I would have to agree that it was quite neutral, the only way you could tell it was rum was when drinking it on the rock with lime and you could see the viscosity was thicker than Vodka, otherwise I probably could not tell the difference. Good buy for the price.
bluewave6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #19
bcarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave6 View Post
I went to the Cheese Burger In Paradise around where I work and was quite impressed with the rum selection. They had Barbancourt 8 yr and 15 yr, Cruzan Diamond and SB, Mt Gay XO and Appelton VX and Reserve just to name a few. This was the largest rum selection I have seen in a restraunt in my area. They appear to have a contract deal with Cruzan I am assuming since that was their "standard" mixing rum instead of the usual Bacardi.
It was a very sad day in my household when the local Cheeseburger In Paradise closed their doors in February. It was the only restaurant (and I do mean ONLY) in my city of 120,000 people that served a relatively decent selection of rums. There was nothing better than a couple of their mini crab cakes for dinner followed by a Barbancourt 15. Or two.

The best part was that they actually listed them on their drink menu. I much prefer that over having to ask some barely 18 year old waiter/waitress what sort of rum selection a place has.
bcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:55 PM   #20
bcarney

Quote:
Originally Posted by primate77 View Post
I was blown away last week when I was at a Carrabba's (chain Italian) restaurant, and they actually had MG Eclipse behind the bar as one of their primary rums. That really surprised me.
Carraba's, Cheeseburger in Paradise, Outback, and one other big chain that I can't remember offhand are all owned by the same company, so it wouldn't surprise me if what you see in one place is available at another.

I'll have to check our Carraba's. Mt. Gay was the first rum I had that wasn't clear, flavored, or had a Captain on the label.
bcarney is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums