MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

136 years ago in 1884, The Beenleigh Distillery was established in Queensland, Australia.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 05-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #1
mammel

Default chicago resources

I will be in Chicago in October, and will be staying right near the magnificent mile. Does anyone know of any decent liquor stores right around that area that carry a decent selection?
mammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 02:03 PM   #2
primate77

I'm sure that Ed can lend some good input here, as he is a visitor to the Windy City.

What I can tell you is there is at least one each within a short cab ride from the MM, there is a Binny's Beverage Depot at 213 W Grand, which actually is not bad a walk from the MM. They also have one at 1132 S Jefferson Street which will be at the south end of the "Loop". You can walk Michigan Avenue down to Roosevelt Road, and you'll be in the general area.

Also, near the Binny's Jefferson Street store, you'll find a new Sam's Wine & Spirits outlet right at 50 E Roosevelt Road. This should just be right around Michigan Ave, State Street or Wabash - not sure which cross street, and Roosevelt Road.

They are two very large outlets and should have a good selection. Also though, I find it fun to walk into the small stores with the modest "Liquors" sign with no real name. Those can be a real treat, and you can find some really difficult to find spirits.

I tumbled into a Foremost Liquors on the west side (which is a chain, but the selection varies wildly store to store), and they had the entire House of Botran Family of Rums on the shelf! Nice find.

I think you'll enjoy rum shopping in Chicago!!!!!
primate77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 03:56 PM   #3
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Sam's and Binny's both have new stores just west of the loop area which isn't too far from the Magnificent Mile, depending on where you're from, and the weather. Then not too far north and west, take the brown line train to Roscoe Village. Lush Wine and Spirits may or may not still have some of the Scarlet Ibis rum, they also have a store on south Halsted. There is also a store on Rush Street, just north and west of the MM, the name changed so I don't remember it that has all kinds of things, some good, some bad and some great.

If you've got a car there are a number of other independent stores that have all kinds of things that are harder to find elsewhere. Some of this depends on what you're looking for. Special things you can't find anywhere else, best price, or something you've never heard of.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
mammel

Nice picks gentlemen... The Binnys site looks interesting....I wonder how good "Lieutenant Dan's Spiced Rum" could be? A real winner at $7.99 a bottle. I forget how many rums are available, until I go onto an american liquor stores website!

I am not sure yet if we are renting a car, so if you know if anything real noteworthy (or place with some real rare stuff) within a walking distance of the MM....that would likely be where I would head. I will have to scout out the addresses you have provided to see where they are!

Thanks for all your help!
mammel is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions