MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

89 years ago in 1930, Montebello Distillerie Carrere was established on Guadeloupe.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum Rumors
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum Rumors

Things to look for in the world of rum.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #1
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr
Default Zacapa Goes To Diageo

More changes for Zacapa: according to recent reliable reports, Dana Imports will cease importing Zacapa on April 1 and Diageo will take over.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
RumBarPhilly

Not sure if this is a good or bad thing from consumers in my neck of the woods. Ive had a really hard time with Dana Imports and other distributors in obtaining distribution in PA. At the same time, Diageo as a PA distributor is reliable but a supreme pain in the ass.

Do you know if Diageo will distribute Zacapa more widely than is available now? I know they dont push some products like Bundaberg and the full line of Pampero rums.
Philadelphia, PA
http://www.Rum-Bar.com
RumBarPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
RobertBurr

Default Diageo and Zacapa

It's too early to tell what might change as Diageo takes over importing of Zacapa, but one might assume they are offering greater deals with distributors. The obvious question is whether Zacapa can produce enough product for greater distribution, but one has to assume they are ready to do so by accepting this new relationship.

Reminds me of Elvis on Sun Records. Sam Phillips brought him to our attention, got us to love the music and the man, then turned him over to RCA to go national, and international.

Zacapa has enjoyed fabulous success and deserves great accolades for putting Zacapa on the map in a few major markets, against great odds.

The overly-cautious rum collector that still has bottles of the old Zacapa on the collection, might stock up on a case or two and wait to see if anything changes next April.

I'm trying to find out if this change will affect the debut of the Zacapa Centennario XO 30 year old blend scheduled for February.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Diageo isn't going to reduce distribution. On the contrary I would expect them to push their distribution chain even harder since Zacapa would be the premium Diageo rum. Diageo isn't known for sitting on their collective laurels once they make a decision to move ahead with a new product, though I was a little surprised at the limited distribution I've seen with Oronoco, another Diageo product.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 01:36 AM   #5
RumBarPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Diageo isn't going to reduce distribution. On the contrary I would expect them to push their distribution chain even harder since Zacapa would be the premium Diageo rum. Diageo isn't known for sitting on their collective laurels once they make a decision to move ahead with a new product, though I was a little surprised at the limited distribution I've seen with Oronoco, another Diageo product.
In PA, Oronoco is hitting almost every high-end bar in Philly, seems distribution is plentiful in PA. How many states is it available in? Countries?
Philadelphia, PA
Old 01-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
RumClub

Send a message via Skype™ to RumClub

Hi, I write form Italy, and here Zacapa is distributed by Arnolfini, which sell it also in other European countries.

Do you think that, for world market balance, Diageo will became Zacapa distributor in Europe too?

And how Zacapa will continue to sell his 23 yr old for next years? I think that here Zacapa in very different to the marvelous product of the past years. And I think they change that rum to another which is only similar, with addiction or some process not clear.
We have ( do you?) Zacapa Straight from the Cask and Zacapa Etiqueta negra which are sweeter version of the 23 yr made only to follows consumer's taste, completely without the complexity of a 23 yr old rum.
And.. how could be a 23 solera if the distillery has got only 30 years old?!??

By the way, Robert, I also have the Zacapa 30 edition, but "30" is only the name, to celebrate the anniversary. It isn't 30 years old Rum!

Greetings from Italy, we've met au UK Rum Festival, I hope you remember!
----------------------
Cogito ergo Rum
RumClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
Matusalem

Is the distillery or the brand name itself "only 30 years old"?
Matusalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:49 PM   #8
johnlamond

Default Diageo's effectiveness

I am surprised at your confidence in Diageo's ability to get the brand to market. They own Pampero in Venezuela, whose Aniversario was voted the world's top rum last year in a San Francisco-based competition. Aniversario doesn't even get a mention on their website and I was doing some research for something in Hong Kong in the middle of last year and asked the people at Diageo about Aniversario to come up against a brick wall of ignorance about the brand. Good luck in getting your Zacapa.

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." Henry Youngman
johnlamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #9
RumBarPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlamond View Post
I am surprised at your confidence in Diageo's ability to get the brand to market. They own Pampero in Venezuela, whose Aniversario was voted the world's top rum last year in a San Francisco-based competition. Aniversario doesn't even get a mention on their website and I was doing some research for something in Hong Kong in the middle of last year and asked the people at Diageo about Aniversario to come up against a brick wall of ignorance about the brand. Good luck in getting your Zacapa.

"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." Henry Youngman

I agree with you, also, with their Bundaberg rum. Im not sure if they own Bundy or just distibute it, but either way, not even my Diageo reps know what it is!
Philadelphia, PA
Old 01-28-2008, 01:51 AM   #10
RobertBurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumBarPhilly View Post
Im not sure if they own Bundy or just distribute it, but either way, not even my Diageo reps know what it is!
Bundy is owned by Bundaberg in Australia an outsells everything except beer in that country. They own the trademark for the Dark And Stormy cocktail in Australia, while Gosling's owns it in other countries.

The history of the company is interesting in several aspects. In 1899, the military took over all stocks to keep their Australian soldiers going strong. In WWII, the Americans grew to love the rum and coke mix in the bottle and all production went to the war effort. For many years, the company made the rum but wholesaled it to other labels. I believe it was in the 1960s they began bottling and marketing their own product, inventing the Bundy Bear. Now, they sell Bundy and cola on tap and in cans. It's quite popular.

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum Rumors