MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

157 years ago in 1862, Barbancourt was established.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses

All of the ingredients in a cocktail contribute to the experience.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #21
tiknician

^ well, the question remains, what is the right rum? The drink is Barbadian in origin, so one might think that it wasn't always made with blackstrap.

That said, I did find a bottle of Cruzan Blackstrap today, so will be trying this, which seems to be the current most popular version.

Would love to hear what others have used.
tiknician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:57 PM   #22
eas

While the Blackstrap has a nice color effect, the drink should be made with a more traditional dark rum, and one w/o heavy vanilla and/or sherry finish. It shows especially well with the Scarlet Ibis.
eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 04:36 PM   #23
tiknician

Quote:
Originally Posted by eas View Post
While the Blackstrap has a nice color effect, the drink should be made with a more traditional dark rum, and one w/o heavy vanilla and/or sherry finish. It shows especially well with the Scarlet Ibis.
Thank you, I will try that! Scarlet Ibis keeps surprising me with its starring roles. I like it in a punch vieux (or whatever it should be called, not actually being agricole). Makes a good rum old fashioned, too.

I wasn't that crazy about the blackstrap version of corn 'n' oil. I have since made it with Mount Gay Sugar Cane Rum and that is very tasty, nice balance with the Falernum.

I will take this opportunity to say Thank You to Haus Alpenz for so many delectable imports!
tiknician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #24
Finleyville

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguinboy View Post
Ron- check this out:

http://www.cocktailchronicles.com/20...28/falernum-8/

We make a batch every week! So easy! We shop at a restaurant supply place where you can get a case of persian limes- 54 of them- for $5, so we make our own margarita mix and falernum every month. From what I understand, a month is about the limit of time before fresh lime juice starts to get funky. Of course it never lasts that long in our house!

For the falernum we nixed the 151- thought it was a little harsh.... We use Goslings gold- it takes longer to extract (2 days instead of 1) but it's a bit mellower. We use blackstrap and goslings - 1 to 1 with falernum and a twist of lime in our corn and oil. My wife likes it a little lighter, so she make hers with 1/2 goslings black seal and 1/2 cruzan white to an equal amount of falernum..

ENJOY!

-Danny

Good luck!!
That is the recipe that I make at home. However, I use only Lemon Hart 151 rum. Yes, it is 151. But the taste is night and day over the more common J. Wrey & Nephew. Plus I feel the smokiness of the Lemon Hart adds to the spice of the recipe. I have gotten used to my falernum turning out opaque brown after it is finished. I strongly urge everyone to try this recipe.
Finleyville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 10:01 PM   #25
Phaserburn

Anyone try goslings black seal or kraken in a corn n oil? Both are black, but not like the cruzan.
Phaserburn is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > Mixers, Water, Ice and Glasses