MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

136 years ago in 1883, the production of sugar from sugar beets equaled the production of sugar from sugar cane for the first time.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum questions/discussions

General questions or discussions about particular brands should be posted here.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
Tiare

Default Elements Eight

If you were to choose to buy one, the white or the gold, to use both for sipping and mixing, which one would you choose?

A Mountain of Crushed Ice
Tiare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:59 AM   #2
TheRumelier

Both, but if I had to choose I would always pick gold first, but that's just me.
http://www.therumelier.com
TheRumelier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:30 PM   #3
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

One of the best Daiquiris I ever tasted was made by Jake Burger using Elements 8 white.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 01:20 PM   #4
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

The white is widely considered far superior to the gold. I believe it has more character and rich buttery texture. Also makes a blinding daiquiri as Rob has pointed out
Old 10-29-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
aryan-rastafarian

Paul, to say that one is considered far superior to the other (i.e. Platinum vs. Gold) is not a fair statement, and your personal opinion. Both rums are great as sipping and mixing and both rums are distinctly different in taste and character, but both smooth, balanced, and complex

As Paul has pointed out, the Platinum has buttery / butterscotch notes with hints of citrus and coconut, and it does mix a mean daiquiri. It was recently voted best white rum available in the UK in a blind bartender tasting conducted by Imbibe magazine, won the best white rum & best in class awards at the 2007 UK rum fest tasting (2008 results arent released yet I believe). We have also been told it is the first white rum that can be used for sipping. Unfortunately, and unjustifiably, white rum expectations are very low, so when a high quality white rum does hit the market people are obviously more so impressed by it.

But, the gold rum has also won numerous awards including the best gold rum and best in class at the 2007 International Wine & spirits competition, and same in the 2008 Chicago BTI awards. At the 2007 UK Rum fest it also received a gold medal and only missed the 'best in class' award by one point. so to say the Platinum is "far superior" is not accurate in my opinion. The Gold rum has a complex character of dried fruit and a peppery-ness on the palate, and a long finish that is often not there with other rums. it is however true to the st lucian style which means it is not as heavy as some of the other popular rum brands out there (eg Appleton, Mt Gay, El Dorado - Paul, your preferred style of rum if i am correct..?) since the pot still rums in the blends are used in lower proportions to impart depth, length and character without making the rums to heavy and pungent. this means that E8 Gold can work well in drinks like mojitos and also daiquiris (though I prefer the Platinum in the latter) where the delicate flavors dont overpower the other ingredients, but i wouldn't recommend it for mai tais and other 'fruity' or 'tiki style' drinks as the flavor of the rums could get lost with all the syrups and other ingredients.

I think the question, tiare, is what style of rum do you like and what type of drinks do you want to mix. personally, i would go for both
aryan-rastafarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:07 PM   #6
Tiare

I`m not thinking of Mai Tais and Tikidrinks here, but i actually had in mind drinks like mojitos and daiquiris. I usually use Havana Club blanco and 3 year but I`ve had those so much and they are always available here so i`m looking for something new to try.

Sounds to me that the white is what i want to try first but the gold is definetily something to try after.

I just hope i can find these rums, they arent in my country.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:09 PM   #7
aryan-rastafarian

they will be launched in sweden in the near future by a company called Scandinavian Distributors, and are already available in Denmark. i will send you a pvt message with their contact details so you can get in touch and see if they can help you out...

ar
aryan-rastafarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Tiare

Ah..so they will actually be launched here?? that was really great news!

Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 PM   #9
Michael

Can you tell us ar when and if the elements eight rums will be available in the U.S.A.?

BTW nice, infectious rhythm on the e8rum website.
Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:58 AM   #10
Paulipbartender
Connoisseur's Cabinet Member

No need to get all technical Dre!!!! I meant that around town the White is widely preferred to the gold. They're both top drawer though which is why we love Dre and his gold and white liquor.

Missed you at the show by the way brother. The lads on your stand did you proud - perfect place, awesome drinks

Last edited by Paulipbartender; 10-30-2008 at 06:01 AM.
Paulipbartender is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Sugar Cane Spirits > Rum questions/discussions