MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

89 years ago in 1930, Montebello Distillerie Carrere was established on Guadeloupe.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

White Rums

Whether you call them, clear, silver, white or simple 'see through' how do you drink them?

Old 06-25-2007, 01:29 PM   #1
angelsword

Default Mojitos

What is your favorite Mojito recipe? For me it is important to use key lime.

Last edited by angelsword; 06-25-2007 at 01:34 PM.
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
Hank Koestner

I am definitely going to try key limes. I like using Havana club 3, Neisson Rhum Agricole Blanc or ESB ( Ed's suggestion). I put the mint leaves and a wedge of lime in the bottom of a large cocktail glass, and about a tablespoon of Petite Canne Sugar Cane syrup, which I prefer to simple syrup. You must use less of the cane syrup than simple or it will be too sweet. I muddle them, pour in a good measure of rum, add ice and club soda, and shake once. Sometimes, I add a dash of Angostura bitters. Really good mint leaves make a difference. I try to buy them at the organic health food store, as they are much more flavorful than at the grocery store. In the Islands, the locally grown mint leaves seem even better.

Last edited by Hank Koestner; 06-25-2007 at 10:22 PM.
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 11:21 PM   #3
Scottes

As a hopefully helpful note, I compared the Havana Club Aсejo Blanco against the Ron Matusalem Platino last week. Very close. The HC edges out the Matusalem, but it's quite close, so the Matusalem will certainly do for those of us who have a difficult time getting the Havana Club.

Now, call me a sinner if you must, but I tried the Stirrings Mojito Mixer because I was damned lazy. (Yes, that is very lazy.) It wasn't bad at all, but it was made with key limes and I just didn't care for the keys. I'll stick to the "regular" limes from now on.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 PM   #4
angelsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottes View Post
Now, call me a sinner if you must, but I tried the Stirrings Mojito Mixer because I was damned lazy. (Yes, that is very lazy.) It wasn't bad at all, but it was made with key limes and I just didn't care for the keys. I'll stick to the "regular" limes from now on.
You think it was the key lime rather than the mixer that threw off the flavor?
angelsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #5
Scottes

Absolutely. The mixer is quite high quality stuff - cane sugar, key limes, mint oil and almost nothing else, and no artificial flavor-preservers. It didn't taste like a Mojito that I'd make by hand, but it did taste like something I'd throw together using ingredients out of my kitchen - that is, it tasted real and natural, not artificial or chemical.

And I don't like the taste of key limes.

This last part is what really made my decision.
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:29 AM   #6
Dood

The other day at my in-laws I made myself a mojito (OK, a couple of them) using what they had along with some mint that I had brought along specifically for making drinks.

2 oz Appleton Estate V/X (they keep this just for me)
Torn/crushed mint leaves
1 oz simple syrup (they had Trader Vick's Rock Candy Syrup)
Dash of bitters
Juice of 1/2 lime
Crushed ice

All that into the shaker, shake well, pour over more crushed ice until the glass was just over half full.

Then, since they lacked soda water, I used Diet Sprite (field medicine here people, you use what you have). It actually turned out really well...I was pleasantly surprised.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:57 PM   #7
Troy

I look forward to the time each year that the key limes on my tree are ready. They are reserved strictly for rum drinks. The key lime tree is right next to the pot of mint.
Troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:16 PM   #8
aglasser

Though the diet sprite makes me cringe just a little (ok a lot) - the recipe that dood was using up to that point is very similar to the Mojito Royales that I've seen recently in Berlin. The only difference is that instead of diet sprite (there's that cringing again), they use sparkling wine to top it up.

For me, the best Mojito variant might be Audrey Saunders' Old Cuban (Pegu Club, NY):
Old Cuban
1.5 oz Bacardi 8 (though I personally would use Montecristo 12)
1oz Simple Syrup
3/4 oz fresh lime
6 mint leaves
2 Dashes Angostura
Champagne float

Muddle mint with lime juice and a little ice to really tear the leaves up. Add rum, simple syrup, lime and shake until very cold. Strain into a cocktail glass and top with champagne float.
aglasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:36 PM   #9
Edward Hamilton
Founder

I agree with Avery, there is no place on, under or behind, my bar for Diet Sprite. If I need to curtail some calories, I'll skip a few beers and walk to the next bar.

But seriously, if you want a little fizz in your drink, which is a good thing from time to time, a little good champagne is just the thing. But as any good bartender will tell you, not all champagne is created equally. I was served a mojito in San Francisco made with Neisson Blanc, sugar cane syrup and a float of champagne, I can't wait to find that bar again.

The other ingredient, which I'm only beginning to appreciate, is bitters. And the more I learn the more I want to learn. Phil Ward, one of New York's outstanding, and he out stands most of us at over 6'4", bartenders has used bitters to make my first drink of the day taste even better. I take my hat off to any bartender who makes a drink better than I can do it myself, especially when I taught them how to make it.

Sailing the islands, I only thought of Angostura when I thought of bitters, but it turns out, and it's a good thing, that there are a number of commercially available bitters on the market. The better news is that there are more than a few bartenders and drink enthusiasts who are working to improve on what is already available. I'll drink to that.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 11:10 PM   #10
Dood

Just to clarify, I used the Diet Sprite because it was what was on-hand. Not being at home meant that I was subject to what was available.

These days I've been using sparkling mineral water, although the sparkling wine is something I will have to try.
Dood is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Cocktails and Food > White Rums