MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

166 years ago in 1853, Fabrica Nacional de Licores was established in Costa Rica.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum Rumors
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Rum Rumors

Things to look for in the world of rum.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumdog007 View Post
Robert, I don't care to join the panel because, honestly, I am not qualified to judge. But, I do want to be adopted by you and your family. It is no problem for me to change my name to Burr and move to Florida.
Well what disqualifies you? I wouldn't be so quick to count yourself out. Seeing all the high marks this rum seems to be getting, I'm very interested in trying it, especially before it's available here (if it ever will be). Some premium rums are quite overpriced here, including $45 for Mt Gay XO, $50 for El Dorado 15, etc.
I haven't written any long, detailed reviews before since I don't have my own blog, but have just written shorter blurbs with just the important facts (not that I am incapable of such).

Living in the Pacific Northwest, I'm a long way from Florida and won't be able to sample this for a while. If you so desire, I'd be glad to provide you with another review/opinion on this rum Robert.

Like Rumdog I was quick to disqualify myself, but then I thought that just because I haven't tried 100+ rums doesn't make my evaluation of new ones invalid. What currently has me intrigued is how trying the same rum on a different day will produce subtle differences in taste (depending on what I have eaten, among other things). Or maybe it's just this new Flare glass.

Last edited by Carbon; 12-06-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Carbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:34 AM   #12
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

I have received this bottle today and will post a review shortly. Thank you Rob and Brandon.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:29 PM   #13
Hank Koestner

A beautiful medium amber color, and the legs drift down the side of the glass, inviting you to taste it. The aroma is full and rich, with toasted brown sugar and molasses. The wood aromas are not just of oak, but as you spend time with it, you get a sense of a varying amount of wood notes. The rum also offers notes of vanilla, citrus, and floral notes, well represented but not overpowering.
The rum enters the palate with a much larger flavor than the nose lets on.
Very rich, with toasted sugar and molasses, spice, honey and a floral note on the finish. It has great mouth feel and goes down very smooth with just a little heat.
The rum is also well balanced, starting off with sweetness that dries slightly to the mildly bitter finish. I find that a well made rum with will leave a hint of sweetness on the tip of my tongue, with a taste of bitter on the back, that also shows the spirit is well balanced. All of the flavors in this rum are in harmony, and it has great consistency and balance. This rum will be a staple in my collection, and I will endeavor to have this rum on the shelves at Joseph's Liqour Store, my favorite spot to purchase rum. I will recommend this rum to anyone, as it can please both the novice and the more experienced rum consumer.
Also, this rum is an excellent cigar rum. It paired perfectly with A Cuban Trinidad Robusto Extra, and A Don Pepin Blue Label Torpedo. It stood well with these more full flavored cigars, and should pair well with medium and medium to full bodied cigars.
My thanks to the people at Atlantico for producing this excellent rum.

Many thanks to Rob and Brandon for my sample bottle! I received it two days ago, but wanted to spend some time with the rum before I wrote my review.
First, I will start with the packaging. The rum comes in an attractive rustic looking wooden box, and the bottle shape is very elegant, as is the label. If I saw this rum on the shelf, I would definitley be attracted to it. Excellent packaging.
This is easily the best rum I have ever tasted from the DR, and it is equal to the top rums from Latin America. This rum is delicious.

Sidenote: Rumdog, you are as "qualified" as the rest of us. I would like to think that we all are educated consumers, and because of our experience at sampling many different rums allows us to give a fair opinion of a product. We also have a love for the noble spirit, history included. You would fit , don't you think?
I would never call myself an expert, or a judge, but as a consumer I can give a fair opinion. The "too many" bottles of rum and rhum on my shelves can attest to that.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:49 PM   #14
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Hank,

Nice notes on the Atlantico. I agree with your evaluation and your comments on pairing with cigars. I found Atlantico in Key West bars and liquor stores recently , so I expect you'll see it coming to Orlando soon.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:27 PM   #15
forrest

Default Some incomplete tasting notes. . .

I have not 'written a complete review of this, here are my first tasting notes (i usually do several, so that i can develop an understanding from multiple perspectives--or simulate 'living with the rum') that i rushed through.

Nose: cola berry, overripe plum, fig, moist dates, subtle notes of allspice in sugar-- with air of some soft vanilla, against fresh cut mahogany- caramels with sea salt

Body: Lightly oily, with a medium weight
Taste: Front palate shows the cola berry backed up with delicate vanilla / caramel that resolves to tea tannin at the mid palate (broad leaf oolong- deeply extracted) evolves into spices – clove, Mexican cinnamon and nutmeg in honey – on the back palate and into the finish which reintroduces the caramel/ vanilla to the spices and honey for a long and lingering finale.

Aftertaste/ Exhale: Vibrant spice, with a saporous residue that tingles gently.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #16
Count Silvio

Send a message via Skype™ to Count Silvio

Here are my tasting notes.

It is interesting to read the varying reviews here. Especially yours Forrest, sounds like an entirely different experience! I think your cola berry might be my cloudberry. Very interesting.

Last edited by Count Silvio; 12-30-2008 at 06:27 PM.
Count Silvio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 PM   #17
forrest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Silvio View Post
It is interesting to read the varying reviews here. Especially yours Forrest, sounds like an entirely different experience! I think your cola berry might be my cloudberry. Very interesting.
Thanks Count, i am going to post a full review on the 1st, and i will think about the cloud/cola berry..

Whatever berry, this is tasty rum.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #18
forrest

Well i can see the cloudberry especially in the creamy sugary texture, but it (as i recall ) really have the darkness of the cola berry which is really what i was trying to tap into.

anyway the blog is up, the notes didn't change much-- which is a testament the rum..
Here is the address:
http://forrest-theboozer.blogspot.com/
Old 01-01-2009, 04:49 PM   #19
Lew Barrett

I missed inviting myself to this party, but I see all the best people are there!
Can I put myself on the waiting list? Sounds like a delicious rum!
Lew Barrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 02:04 PM   #20
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Barrett View Post
I missed inviting myself to this party, but I see all the best people are there! Can I put myself on the waiting list? Sounds like a delicious rum!
Atlantico is enjoying good reviews and good sales in the limited area of availability in it's first few months, mostly based on word-of-mouth from those that have had the pleasure of trying it.

It may be available online for those that are still outside South Florida.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Rum in the Media > Rum Rumors