MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

349 years ago in 1670, the Worthy Park Estate was founded on Jamaica.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Other discussion
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Other discussion

If it doesn't fit anywhere else put it here.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:32 PM   #1
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Default Brunello seized in Italian wine probe

Brunello seized in Italian wine probe
Fri Apr 4, 2:37 AM ET
Source: AP
An executive for a prominent Tuscan wine producer said authorities confiscated some 600,000 bottles of his company's 2003 Brunello di Montalcino, alleging too many bottles were produced for it to be entirely authentic.
Enrico Viglierchio, an executive at Castello Banfi vintners, told reporters at an international wine fair in Verona on Thursday that magistrates based in Siena, Tuscany, were leading an investigation into several winemakers.
Viglierchio was confirming a report in Tuscan newspaper Corriere Fiorentino, which said police had seized wine produced by Castello Banfi and three other vintners of well-known wine.
The paper said investigators suspect the Brunello might have been cut with other grape varieties, such as Sauvignon grapes.
"It seems we produced more" than the vintner could have produced based on the calculation of acreage dedicated to grapes for Brunello, Viglierchio said in remarks carried by Italian state TV.
The newspaper reported that Siena investigators believe commercial fraud may have been committed. It reported that investigators studied photographs of the vineyards and calculated that the acreage dedicated to the production of Brunello could not have yielded as many bottles as were produced without the wine being likely "cut" with another variety of grape.
Italian news agency Apcom reported that hundreds of thousands of bottles of 2003 Brunello di Montalcino from other winemakers were also seized.
"I am upset by the methods used in this probe," the news agency quoted Viglierchio as saying. "They acted on the basis of clues and data which must be carefully checked out."
Italian news reports said authorities had also ordered the seizure of some vineyards.
An Italian agricultural lobby group, Confagricoltura, urged the magistrates to work quickly to reassure consumers and let vintners go about their work.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #2
Roberto

Send a message via MSN to Roberto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Brunello seized in Italian wine probe
Fri Apr 4, 2:37 AM ET
Source: AP
Hi, Ed
i confirm what you have post.
Im waiting the end of investigations to insert this brunello's vintage in my catalogue.
The main problem it's that the winemakers have used other grapes besides Sangiovese to meet the tastes of the US's consumers, that are the main buyers of this wine.
Old 04-07-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Hank Koestner

Woulden't you know it? This is one of my favorite Italian wines. I have to go see if I have any 2003. The shame of it is that those of us that have been drinking wine for years have been effected by producers changing the flavor profiles to fit what I call the "new" American palate. There is a large amount of people who are new to drinking wine, and thier tastes have not matured enough to enjoy the taste of the fuller, richer reds, like those produced in Italy for years.
There has been some discussion amongst wine drinkers that there has been a change in some of the Italian reds, and others. My thought was that they just need more time in the bottle, since wine vintages can be very different from year to year, and so many things can come in to play, such as weather, etc.

Last edited by Hank Koestner; 04-07-2008 at 01:16 PM.
Hank Koestner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
Roberto

Send a message via MSN to Roberto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Koestner View Post
I have to go see if i have any 2003.
The 2003 it's the new vintage (i remember you that brunello must age at least 5 years), and the marketing is hardly begun

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Off Topic > Other discussion