MoR Mobile β

New Users Please read the thread in the Introductions Section.
Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum

56 years ago in 1963, St Vincent Distillers Limited was established on St. Vincent.

Search by Label Name
Other Searches
Ministry of Rum Blog
Rum Events
Member Map
Rum Producers
Retail Index
Bars & Restaurants
Distributor Index
Rum Importer Index
Articles
Interviews
Frequently Asked Rum Questions
Rum 101
Test your Rum IQ
Rum Glossary
Rum Recipes
Ministry of Rum Giftshop
Trade Registry

Go Back   Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions
Forgot Password?
Register FAQ Members List Unregistered Posts Mark Forums Read

Introductions

Now that you found the rum community, tell us a little about yourself.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
monkey_feet

Default Hello from Arlington, TEXAS

Hello everyone. I'm very excited to find this site. I found out about in from the book Embarrassment of Mangoes.

I've been a beer guy my whole life, but after 6 trips to the BVI, I'm starting to slowly change my taste!

I've started basic, but I'm looking forward to expanding my horizion!

Additionally, we are heading down to St Vincent and the Grenadines in May for a bareboat charter. I would love to get some tips on where to go to get the good stuff!
monkey_feet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 10:20 AM   #2
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Welcome to the forum. In Bequia you can find Captain Bligh rum which is pretty good as well as a couple of other rums distilled on Saint Vincent. Further south, on Union Island you'll find some other rums you won't find in some of the other Grenadines. shopping is sparse in those islands, but the sailing is good.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Edward Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:17 PM   #3
monkey_feet

Default Thanks

Thanks Ed.

We are excited about our trip. I absolutely love it down there (well, at least the "down there" I've been to!).

We are doing a one way, and our last stop is Union Isl. I'll check out your suggestion.

We are also going to overnight in Barbados before heading home. Going to have a little time to poke around.

Also, we aren't checking. Any suggestions on getting our prizes home? How is the mail service? OR should we box and check?

JH
Old 03-20-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_feet View Post
Additionally, we are heading down to St Vincent and the Grenadines in May for a bareboat charter. I would love to get some tips on where to go to get the good stuff!
When in Vincy, stock on that wildest of wild rums, Sunset Very Strong Rum! Go diving with Bill Tewes of Dive St. Vincent or with Glenroy Adams of Grenadines Dive.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #5
Milicent

Welcome, welcome. I know Fort Worth's rum availability pretty well, but Arlington is still virgin territory. I hope you have a good selection. You will get loads of great information and suggestions on this forum.
Milicent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
Edward Hamilton
Founder

Pack your prizes well and carry them home. But I've heard a number of horror stories about clearing customs in Texas from overseas, hopefully you'll be clearing in San Juan or Miami where it's relatively easy.

Unfortunately you can't bring back St Vincent Very Strong rum since it is over 140 proof and it's a violation to carry high proof rum on airplanes.
Ministry of Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'm going to take it. In the meantime, the research continues.
Old 03-21-2008, 03:08 AM   #7
RobertBurr

Send a message via Skype™ to RobertBurr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post
Unfortunately you can't bring back St Vincent Very Strong rum since it is over 140 proof and it's a violation to carry high proof rum on airplanes.
I personally have not packed it in layers of socks stuffed in the check bags, but I've been on the receiving end of such successful strategies.
RobertBurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:35 PM   #8
Edward Hamilton
Founder

As a frequent traveler loaded with rum bottles I can tell you the best way to carry spirits is in your clothes in a bag that isn't too heavy. I use a large carry on, except you can't carry it on anymore if you're carrying spirits.

I put bottles in socks then pack sandals around the outside of the case. Jeans and other heavy clothes take up the space about the outside of the bottles. Sometimes I'll use some corrugated cardboard between the bottles. And be sure to pack dark rums best as they will stain everything if broken.

On a recent trip I lost one bottle which isn't bad considering I carry an average of 4 bottles on about 100 flights a year and loose about one bottle a year mostly due to poor packing. In the US, if the TSA sees you're bags isn't properly packed they have wrapped bottles in bubble wrap for me then taped it with TSA tape. The bubble wrap gets reused for about a month until it is to beat up to offer much protection.

The bottom of the bottle seems to be the most vulnerable to breakage from hitting something hard so that's where I try to put the most packing.
Ministry of Rum

Old 03-21-2008, 04:36 PM   #9
Rum Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Hamilton View Post

I put bottles in socks then pack sandals around the outside of the case. Jeans and other heavy clothes take up the space about the outside of the bottles.
My girlfriend has come up with some ingenious ideas using articles of her clothing

All have come through just fine.

I once packed a bottle of Ron del Barrilito Three Star poorly. When I arrived with my soggy bag..My friends greeted me with open arms and said " The Three Star didn't make it..Did it?"

In my experience the bottom of bottles are the most vulnerable. There seems to often be a weak link in the glass molding process near the bottom corners that gives to a hard knock.
Old 03-25-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
monkey_feet

Default One little problem

I may reconsider my carry on only plan. We generally do not check bags when traveling to the BVI, and we didn't plan on it for St. Vincent. However, if we can score some cool prizes, that may change our plan!

JH

Rum Lovers @ the Ministry of Rum > Welcome to the Ministry of Rum Forums > Introductions